how to paint an engine

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ricer

ok is there a way i can use the same paint i uesd on the outside of the car to paint the motor

Yup, high temp engine paint, either Duplicolor or VHT. Make sure your block is clean of all oil and grease before you spray it though.

according to B powdercoating a block is not a good idea...i would assume because it makes it harder for it do dissipate heat

but powder coat doesnt have the same properties as high temp paint, at least i dont think it does. best option: high temp paint.

Originally posted by K2e2vin@Nov 27 2004, 05:05 AM
but powder coat doesnt have the same properties as high temp paint, at least i dont think it does. best option: high temp paint.
[post=422812]Quoted post[/post]​

i beleive you are correct...and the thinkness if podwercoat is definately thicker than a coat of spraybomb

Guys I have a powder bus on the side. With 1 coat I am at the same thickness as 2-3 coats of high temp. Also powder coating a block can benefit the temp by using additives to help dissipate heat. Or in the case of headers I can use a ceramic coating, before I powder coat them

i powdercoat at work,one coat of powder is thicker than one coat of wet paint

Although I know high temp is the way to go.........

My buddy nate has painted his V-8 block in the past. His truck was show quality........

The paint has held up fine for over five years now. I'm not suggesting a krylon paint or anything, but his block was sprayed with the EXACT same paint as the rest of his truck. The prep work would be a bitch.

My friend did this to his 350. First, spray surface with heat resistant primer, then spray with the color you want, then spray with heat resistant clear coat. He did this awhile ago, lilke 6 months no signs of the paint coming off.

Back