How to read C.A.R.B. Executive Orders

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Sean Foster

I am planning a swap (B18C1 with a Greddy Turbocharger) into my 1990 Civic Hatch and it has to be C.A.R.B legal. The engine I put in depends on what I can do legally. I have checked that C.A.R.B. site and have read which turbochargers are legal but the problem I have is in deciphering the Executive Order: when they refer to a 1993-2000 Acura Integra GSR under the Model Specification column, are they actually referring to an Acura Integra GSR or just the GSR engine itself? I would tend to think that they mean the engine itself since the engine will pollute the same no matter which chassis it is in, but then again, this is California after all. If they mean the whole Integra GSR, it would mean I am stuck with a B16A2 with a Jackson Supercharger. Any thoughts?

well, in order for the swap to be legal you'd have to go get it BAR'd.. after that i'd worry about the turbo kit.. also, if and when you get it BAR'd.. ask the referee if you wanted to get a smog legal turbo kit.. what would you buy it for?? what car?

this is CA.. you're kinda screwed as far as modifying goes

I don't think I'll have a problem with the CA ref. I was originally going to go with a D16A6 and just building it up NA (the usual Z6 or Y8 head, etc.). I'd never drag with it since straight-line racing is not my thing so it didn't need to be this all-powerful beast. The only problems are that I can't seem to find a D16A6 and if I could, I'd probably have to rebuild it since it is bound to be pretty high mileage, being USDM and all.

You know, maybe this is the route I ought to go, now that I think of it. You can't beat the fun in rebuilding an engine (I've never done a car engine before but I rebuilt an airplane engine), and once I do find a D16A6, it's bound to be satisfying that I finally got one.

Anyways, I only know of hmotorsonline.com and jazzproparts.com and they don't have the D16A6 so if anyone knows of any good places out there to obtain one (or any other USDM motors for that matter), please let me know.

Back