1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to remove a partition?

Discussion in 'Computers, Games, Electronics etc' started by GSRCRXsi, Sep 9, 2007.

1. GSRCRXsi

GSRCRXsi Super Moderator Moderator VIP

ok, my laptop has a 30 gig hard drive. partitioned to 2 15 gig partitions. one having win 2000 and the other having winxp. now i want to remove the 15 gig parition and make the hard drive just one 30 gig partition again. i dont want to format the entire thing and do a fresh install because i have liscenced softwar that would require a new liscence when reinstalling, and getting a new liscence is somewhat of a hassle (plus ive already gotten a new liscence once and they might say no thinking im trying to distribute it or something). ive tried using windows to delete the partition but the delete option is dimmed. and all the tutorials ive seen for XP say i should be able to just delete it. also i think the MBR is on the partition in tying to delete. can i move it to the one i want to keep?

2. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

are you trying to delete the first partition?

partition magic for the win.

3. GSRCRXsi

first partition, second partition, whats the difference? but its labled C:. i want to keep E:

4. GSRCRXsi

i downloaded partition magic, installed it. but when u trued to run it, it says "Init Error 117. Partition's drive letter could not be identified" wtf

5. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

the first partition has the boot sector ;)

sounds like your drives are hosed lol

6. GSRCRXsi

yea i know. can i move it?

7. CRX-YEM

CRX-YEM Super Moderator Moderator VIP

do you have some spare hard disk to work with ?
    do a full disk copy of one hard disk to another for backup purposes. Then do a partition copy of E: to another spare drive. You should then be able to run your system from the spare drive e: you might have to edit the registry to get the drive e: to be recognized as drive c: , you should be able to wipe clean your original drive and you might possibly have to re-install partition magic, do another disk copy from the spare drive back to the original 30gb drive

8. jeffie7

jeffie7 Wrong Whole! VIP

Just set your bios to boot from a CD and put your windows CD in. It should give you the options there.
    However I'm not sure if you can remove a partition with out clearing the drive.

9. GSRCRXsi

ok well i got it done. but i ended up having to reinstall everything anyway :(

i popped in in XP CD. formatted the C: drive and installed a fresh XP
    installed all needed drivers and programs programs
    the liscenced program installed with the same serial number so i could use the same reg string
    installed partition magic again
    then i formatted the old xp partition and then merged the 2 partitions into 1.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted