How to replace your LCA bushings.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xj0hnx

I wanna be sedated
VIP
So today I was driving around and decided to have a look underneath and identify the noise that has been driving me nuts, not to mention something in my suspension is out of whack, and I need to find it. So put it up and decdied the front LCA bushings need replaced, this might help some, so off to the store. Bought both bushings for 14 bucks and headed to the shop. Bad bushings can cause darty steering, bad alignment, noise, and just shitty performance over all, so check yours and replace, they make a world of difference.

First step is take off you rim(s)...

s404ca7ca00014.jpg

Yes, I know, red calipers, what a fag, but I am waiting till my spacers come in to paint them back to silver, so suck it..

This is what you're looking at now (don't comment on the tire still being on, this was taken when I first got there)...

s404ca84faae71.jpg

Nice salt on everything huh? Damn winter needs to end already, So, you have the ball joint, damper fork, and the two LCA specific bolts to remove and end up with this...

s404ca8ce2e642.jpg

Now, here's the part that really can suck, or not be a problem, depending on the equipment you have availible. We have a hydraulic press in our shop, so it is a breeze, if not you can do it with a saw, hammer, and chisel, and a table vise, but it takes some work...pressing the old one out....

s404ca99a1d4d7.jpg

Once you have pressed the old ones out, you can use an emery paper to clean out the inside, but it isn't real nescessary. Then just reverse the process, and press the new ones into place. I used a socket the same size as the metal surround on the bushing...

s404cab30900c7.jpg

Now put it all back together...

s404cab6546cf4.jpg

And replace wheels...

s404cabb113895.jpg

I torque them to the correct setting of 110Nm or 80 lb-ft. On a side note, I use the Kyokugens and have heard many people saying they strip, but I have removed mine MANY times and they are fine, so the trick kids is, don't fucking over tighten them.

Originally posted by dohch22a4@Mar 8 2004, 06:30 PM
Did this get rid of the noise? :)

Yip, but I also removed my traction bars, as with the ITR brakes the bottom caliper mounting bolt was hitting the damper fork mounting bracket in hard corners and rough roads :(

Shitty. So... are you using you gay stock VX brakes again? Or did you just leave the ITR ones on and say fuck it?

Originally posted by dohch22a4@Mar 8 2004, 07:33 PM
Shitty. So... are you using you gay stock VX brakes again? Or did you just leave the ITR ones on and say fuck it?

Hell no, I'd rather not run a traction bar than run 9" VX brakes again :)

a note on the kyokugens the tool is the problem with the lugs. the tool is made out of cheap metal and also very thin so if you use an impact it tsreaches out the tool then strips the lug so the key is dont use an impact and you will be fine. i tq mine to 90ft lbs and i change my tires at the track every week in the summer and have never had a problem

Back