how to run speaker cables

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

colombian_jam

hey you guys i have a EG and it doesnt have speakers in the back and i though oh maybe the cale must be there and guess what it didnt so i dont know how to run cables if anyone can help me out i really appreciate

thqanks

Very easy, just run them the same as stock. They come out behind the radio, go across the dash to the driver's kick, down the running boards. There's some rectangular boxes you can open up and put them inside. Then it splits. One side goes up the seat to the speaker, the other goes across the base of the seat then up to the other speaker. Use split loom the whole way, zip tie it secure.

Running cable through the conduit is a great thing in modern cars - Wait until you have to run more and more cable until finally your carpet doesn't even sit right. For that I do the following:

Take up one or both seats, fold carpet toward center console
Acquire, from Radio Shack, the sticky wire run clamps
Line the floor with about 10 (I'm up to 8 on the drivers side, 2 on the passenger side) in rows of about 4 (To keep the tension)
Re-conjoin the wiring under the rear seats, or somewhere people's heels won't chafe and destroy the wires.

At some point, I'll have to loom it up under the car. Damn man, these cables aren't getting any thinner.

Current project: 1976 Vega Cosworth
Panasonic head unit (single din, in shaft-mount slot)
Panasonic Satellite receiver, Sirius with 2 antennae, DIN cable patch and RCA input
4 RCA (Plus switched power and main power lead in the same harness) to trunk mounted Infinity Basslink series 1
Series 1 amp-level outputs to Infinity reference component setup, 4 crossovers
4 wires from each crossover
2 crossovers to feed the front component system
Sirius decoder zigzagged through hatchback door

And this is CLEAN. I couldn't imagine this setup without the magic of the Basslink speaker-outs (That I've never used before... lets see what happens!)

Photos to follow

sounds like you need the help of an auto sparky... never fear help is hear.
if your car dosent have rear speakers, it means the stock head unit only has two channels. this means you will have to invest in a new head unit. rip out the old one. put a new one in. you should be able to use all the original wires and only run new wire for the rear speakers. you will need to identify the old wires going to the old unit. a test light is best for this. it should have an earth, an accesory feed, a battery feed, possibly a park light feed and the four existing speaker wires, two for each speaker, avoid probing these with positive, they are usualy two similar colours. you can check by looking at the back of the speakers, which you should replace as well. next wire up the new head, dont chop off the old plug just branch out, make shore you solder, (but not before you check that it works ) and insulate well, hey presto you got a better sounding stereo.

hey you guys i have a EG and it doesnt have speakers in the back and i though oh maybe the cale must be there and guess what it didnt so i dont know how to run cables if anyone can help me out i really appreciate

thqanks
Is your car a hatch?
If so, the factory wires for spkrs will be tied up somewheres behind the interior side panels.
Your stock deck and speakers lick balls, toss 'em. (Have your front stock speaker cones separated already?)

To find out if you have the right speaker terminal plug harness3.jpg
you can put speaker wire onto the end of your new 6.5" coaxials and hook it up to the reverse of what's in the photo.... then at the deck find the corresponding wire colors and using an ordinary AA battery and touch one wire to the pos."+" of the AA and the other to the neg."-". This will make a crackling kind of popping sound and you should see the speaker "bump".

What's actually happening is that you're sending DC through the speaker forming a complete circuit and the equivalent of about 60Hz is going Direct Current instead of Alternating Current, or AC like you would find in a music note or sine wave.

This is by far the easiest way I have found to find all your speaker wires. You CAN use a multimeter with the speaker hooked up to the wires and do a coninuity test and the meter should give an audible tone that tells you if you have a complete circuit, but it's a whole pile more fun watchin a speaker go "Bump-pida-bum-pa-bump"^_^ Let us know if you got the problem nailed. And when possible, let the person that helped the most, know it.

Back