How to start it?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

NEWHOE

I have just completed dropping a d16a sohc vtec into my 93 civic which is non-vtec. I know I have to wire the vtec in but is there anything else I have to do? I am trying to start the car and it won't do anything. It will turn over and over and sometimes act like it is catching a starting but then goes right back to turning over. I am lost and confused.

Originally posted by swanny@Nov 27 2004, 01:14 PM
Do you have fuel? spark? What ECU are you using?
[post=422897]Quoted post[/post]​

I am getting fuel and spark and the ecu is the one the shop told me I needed. I bought the engine from a place called Orient Engines here in San Diego. I don't know how to identify it. I am new to imports, changed a few domestic engines.

Originally posted by AllMotorMonster@Nov 27 2004, 01:15 PM
Oil in the engine?
Spark plugs installed?
All wire connections done?
Grounds grounded?
ECU Plugged in?
Fuses in?
Fuel pump pumping?
[post=422898]Quoted post[/post]​

All of the above. I am not sure about the wiring part though. Other than the VTEC is there any kind of wiring I have to do.

Yeah, I'd check the spark plug wires, the firing order and your ignition timing... If you said that it wants to start...

Originally posted by scottp11@Nov 27 2004, 08:30 PM
Yeah, I'd check the spark plug wires, the firing order and your ignition timing... If you said that it wants to start...
[post=423040]Quoted post[/post]​

I have the firing order right. I have not done a compression test though. What is the easiest way? If my timing is way off is it easy to fix?

Originally posted by NEWHOE+Nov 27 2004, 11:40 PM-->
@Nov 27 2004, 08:30 PM
[post=423040]Quoted post[/post]​

I have the firing order right. I have not done a compression test though. What is the easiest way? If my timing is way off is it easy to fix?
[post=423047]Quoted post[/post]​

only way to do a compression test is with a compression tester. I am sure a place like autozone will have one to rent out for free. As for the timing belt. Its not that hard. You just have to do a little more dissasembly. Do you have a shop manual? It will tell you how to do it.

Back