how to take 96 honda civic front rotors off???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Seany-izzle

yea so, please someone who knows please let me know, cuz it didnt work the way i was told.

How were you told?

1. Remove wheel
2. Bang out retainer screws with manual impact screwdriver
3. Remove caliper
4. Remove disc

Easy

yeah well when we took it all apart, hammering on the rotor didnt get it off, so it just pissed me off. i learned that i need to get a sledge.......and some pb blaster so nm this everyone.

Ok, you shouldn't need a sledge to get your rotors off... but I'm glad you got it done.

oh its not done, im doing it tomarrow, but they will come off.....im determined. they are just rusted into place pretty good. i had a regular hammer and that did nothing but ruin the rotors....not like i need them but its just a pain in the ass. ill let you know tomarrow.

You need an impact screw driver to get those rotors off!!! It is the only way!! Trust me!! I do it all the time!!!

ive heard that i dont need to.......heard they are for a special tool to get it off at like shops and shit. those screws dont do too much

no you need to take the screws out and if you havent thats why the rotors arent coming off so dont go hitting shit with a sledge until you take the screws out, if u havent, otherwise get a impact screwdriver and they will come off easy. so take out the scrizzles and you shouldnt need the sledge hizlle my nizzle

we have no impact, atleast im pretty sure. we have manual tools so do i NEED to take out thos screws? Do i aboslutely NEED to take those screws out?? can i get em off without taking them out?

No, you can't... they're called retaining screws for a reason- the retain the brake rotor so it doesn't come off the hub. If you don't want to remove them, drill them out and buy new ones. Just make sure you don't drill out the threads on the hub.

DUDE. LISTEN to these people. They're trying to help you.

You need one of THESE to get those little screws out of the rotor. Trust us, we're not lying to you.

CraftsMan Impact Driver - $24.99

00947641000-dlv.jpg

Originally posted by SiR Kid@Sep 18 2003, 06:11 AM
DUDE. LISTEN to these people. They're trying to help you.

You need one of THESE to get those little screws out of the rotor. Trust us, we're not lying to you.

CraftsMan Impact Driver - $24.99

Looks like a picture I posted here a few months ago. :lol:

Yes, dammit! You absolutely need an impact driver. You can't use a regular phillips screwdriver or you'll most likely strip those pesky little screws. I had to buy one when I swapped my rotors for a big brake kit. I wish I did before I started because I ended up stripping the screw heads so I had to Dremel into the screw and make them flat heads. It is not a good idea to rip the rotors off without removing those screws.

Back