How to tell a GSR B18C from a Type R B18c?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

swapdohc

I am going to look at a civic with an alleged JDM B18C Type R swap. How do I know if it is a gsr engine with a red JDM valve cover or the real deal? Does the GSR have duel valve springs like the type r? If it doesn't I figured I could pull the valve cover and see if there were duel springs or not. If anyone knows of any block or head stamps the would distinguish the two I would greatly apreciate it. I intend to purchase this car very soon, please help!! Thanks.

head codes

GSR = P72
ITR/B16 = PR3

intake manifolds

if by chance he is using a Skunk2 manifold on a GSR (copy of the JDM ITR manifold) the manifild will have a CARB number on it if its a real JDM ITR there will not be a CARB number on the IM

both JDM ITRs and GSRs will say B18C

both JDM ITRs and GSRs came with red valve covers

gsr has dual springs on one side i forget which side though i have skunk 2 valvetrain on my gsr now so both sides of mine have dual springs head code is an easier way to tell though

Thanks for the info.

So do both the GSR and ITR engines have duel springs? On which side intake, exhaust or both?

Thank you.

Back