How to tell

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

4DRonDUBS

I just got a d16z6 block for free and im positive its sezied, you can rebuild them right?

How do you tell whats wrong and how to test for problems, like cracks and things.

I want to find out if i can rip it down and build it up, from the ground up then swap out my old used b7 block. but i don't know what to check for so i can start my new summer project.

I am going to go with all after market parts, I want it to be very strong, I plan on boosting it with this turbo im getting from a friend who has a turbo mitsu Starion, and he has many parts laying around so i plan on making a custom kit for some low boost.

depending on how bad its siezed up, you can rebuild it. if the pistons welded themselves to the cyclinder wall, you should probably just throw it out, unless u wanna pay to have it bored, and or sleeved.
once you get the pistons out, you can feel around the cyclinder walls, and look for cracks. some places(machine shops) may be able to pressure test the block. also make sure the surface where the head bolts to the block isnt warped. a lot of times, when an engine siezes up it is way overheated, which can warp the block.

You could have it magnafluxed. They use an oil based chemical or magnetic particles, that can either b e visible or flouresent to detect cracks in the surface, or near it.

I have begun taking it apart and I am going to be sending it to this guy dave i know at a great local machine shop, to be pressure tested for cracks and checked for warping. i was thinkng just stock sized parts but i have heard i should get it bored and a bigger piston. Another thing while im at it, i haven't seen very many companys that make an aftermarket crank or bearings, I was thinking to get strong rods, pistons, bearings,etc for my block.
Will stock be sufficent, I want to build it up and boost it. Then achieve around 250-300hp if possible,
any helps great

stock bearings from honda are fine. check to make sure the where the bearing rides on the crank isnt scored, it should feel smooth. be sure to clean all of the journals and oil galleys with a pipe cleaner or somthing similar.
the stock crank(if its ok, and not messed up) should be fine.
I would get upgraded rods, and forged pistons, and a new set of rings, and you should be fine.
you really dont need to bore it out, but to achieve 250-300 hp, you are going to have to have some/a lot of head work done(valves, valve springs, retainers, a new cam, port and polish, etc...)

I plan on titanium retainers with double springs, and some new valves.
I heard knotching the bottom of the cylinders on my block will help with after market rod clearence> anyone with experiance? i m not going to do it but has anyone else heard about this.

the stock crank(if its ok, and not messed up) should be fine.

When pushing a motor/race conditions a seasoned crank will hold up beter than a new one Ive heard,so yes use it if its not out of spec.

I heard knotching the bottom of the cylinders on my block will help with after market rod clearence> anyone with experiance? i m not going to do it but has anyone else heard about this.

If it isnt specified i dont think so..

unless you are using supra pistons with b16 rods :D

Back