how to troubleshoot brakes?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Arachnid

well, my front right brake binded the crap outa the rotor and now i have to replace it. the pad ran out and medals from the caliper tore though the disc. does anyone know what or how to fix/troubleshoot (97 ex coupe). i

f i change the rotor(s) and bleed it properly would that fix the problem? or would i have to do more things like check the master brake solenoid for piston bondage?

j/w is there an adjuster screw on the front brakes?

What kind of medals? Purple Heart, Airmans Cross? hahaa sorry.

Just replace you pads and rotors, when you do, be sure to replace the shims that hold the pads in place. There is no adjustment on the caliper, just the bleeder valve, but you shouldn't have to break the fluid lines to change pads or rotors, so there shouldn't be anything else to do.

you might want to check the right caliper to make sure its not sticking.

Check the caliper to make sure its not sticking and there isn't any kinks in your brake line.

i just recently went through the same thing.it ended up being the master cyl and the caliper on the right side they sometimes work in conjunction mine did so only 1 side of the brakes were working its hard to trouble shoot u kinda just need to buy new parts and replace them

yeah, it's sticking alright. i can hear it when i drive....

Originally posted by Arachnid@Jul 21 2004, 08:15 PM
yeah, it's sticking alright. i can hear it when i drive....
[post=366541]Quoted post[/post]​

Are you sure it's not that wear indicator? There's a little metal prong that rides against the rotor once the brakes are worn to a certain point. Since both sides will never wear EXACTLY even, it's possible that it will only rub on one side. That's what happened with my Accord, but it could be the other stuff mentioned also. The only real way to tell is to dismantle your brakes. The caliper comes into two pieces. Make sure the slide bolts are greased and not bound up. Make sure your rotors are within spec on thickness. Check for grooving. If your rotor looks like an LP record, turn or replace. Check the rear brakes, including the wheel cylinders for leakage and wear. All that stuff is cheap. After that, if the problem persists, then maybe slap in a master cylinder. If the master cylinder took a crap, then the wear from side to side would not be the same, and the previous parts should be replaced anyway.

I'm using $17 a piece rotor blanks, $52 a set Hawk HPS pads, stock drums, and standard shoes. My car comes down from 115 very nicely. Both quick and controlled. I can't say enough about those pads. Good brake feel, and awesome stopping. www.tirerack.com is where I got mine.

This sounds like you may have a stuck guide pin. It is not uncommon at all on a Honda. Just make sure that the caliper slides on the pins well when you are in there.

nvm. i think it is the guide pin. i just took it out and greased it up again. now it's good and pushes back out when it's supposed to.

Back