How to: Win an ebay auction

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Slammed90Lude

I can't seem to get a welder for a reasonable price on ebay. I've see a few go cheap, but they weren't local and they didn't want to ship. Well the one I have my eyes on is local, uses 220 single phase and cranks out 150 amps. Perfect.

Current bid is $255.00

Welder has over 6 days left on listing. Do I bid early with an extreme amount (The max I would pay), or do I wait until the end and just sneak a bid in?

I'm really not trying to fuck this up again. I can't seem to get my hands on a decent TIG and when I do throw up an extremely high bid on ebay, I somehow get outbid, sometimes to the point where they are paying the price of a new welder.

Any advice would be appreciated.

yup wait until the last 20 sec of the auction and sneak a bid in at the last section...be sure u bid it high enough to because if someone has already bid up to a higher bid than u ebay will automatically bid it over ur bid and youll get screwed again. this is how ive had all my luck winning things on ebay...its all about sneaking that bid in at the last second so no one else has time to bid after u, before the auction ends

You're already way up over the price I pay for welders, so you might wanna shop a little more.

To win an ebay bid, put in the most money you're comfortable paying, and walk away. If you're going to go way over your budget / wants / a good deal then walk away. Ebay is all about getting a deal.

Also, try searching for mis spellings... from time to time you'll find fat fingered rednecks that can't type...

I found one like that before Noah, but it was out in Cali and there was no shipping. It was an econotig and it ended up only going for 450. Steal.

Cel, I think maybe you suspect I'm talking about a different type of welder?

This is a 220V AC and DC tig welder (miller). the new price is WAY WAY over 255. Shit, even my Millermatic 175 was 650 bucks.

i always wait till the last 10 seconds and throw up my highest bid

bidding before the very end = driving the price up, you end up fucking yourself in the long run
when you snipe it ebay only bids you high enough to outbid the other guy

word, if you bid early your just going to get in a bid war and pay way more then youd have to.

wait as long as you can then enter a max bid.

ive only lost 2 auctions out of probably 100 so far this year.

i guess that's what I always do wrong. I just figure a high bid early will act as a deterent. I've been wrong almost every time I tried though.

Guess it's time to snipe.

Quoted post[/post]]
I found one like that before Noah, but it was out in Cali and there was no shipping. It was an econotig and it ended up only going for 450. Steal.

Cel, I think maybe you suspect I'm talking about a different type of welder?

This is a 220V AC and DC tig welder (miller). the new price is WAY WAY over 255. Shit, even my Millermatic 175 was 650 bucks.

I got a Mig for free and my friend got his Miller tig for about $100, 220 volt. My mig is 110v.

Another trick that works well is to use two browser windows. Have one window with the aution up, and the other with the bidding page up. Repeatedly refresh the auction so you can see what to bid and then when theres 30 sec left, bid just above the previous bid.

Cel - how the f did you get a free mig welder! I hate you! :p

Someone needed a brake job done, and they offered it to someone else. That someone kept bagging ass on us, so I did it and he gave me the welder instead.

www.auctionsniper.com

I lost a car in the last seconds of an auction at 4:30 in the morning. Never again will I not snipe.

It was a damn steal, and I was outbid with 1 second left, for a price that was still absurdly low.

Quoted post[/post]]
how much does auction sniper charge and how do they know how high to go?

First 3 or 5 auctions (I forget because I ran out of my free snipes and use a different snipe site now, that isn't as nice) are free.

You set the limit of how high the bid goes, on the auction sniper page. The nice feature of this sniper, unlike the other sniper I use, lets you set a "lead" time of how long before the end of the auction it will place the snipe. It recommends a 5 second lead time or so, but lets you go down to 1 second before the end of the auction. I usually use 3 seconds and it works fine.

You can set up multiple snipes, you can set it up so it snipes on multiple auctions with the same item and if you win one it cancels the bid on the other one, or doesn't place the bid.

It has a ton of cool shit.

I actually thought you were the one who mentioned it to me, when I lost on ebay early, early one morning but I guess I was mistaken.

Like I said, I lost a car with 1 second to go, that was no reserve and sold for $7,000 under blue book, to someone who must have sniped.

I actually thought you were the one who mentioned it to me, when I lost on ebay early, early one morning but I guess I was mistaken.

could be, i know they exist but i've never used one before

Back