How/Where to start?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I-Geezee

Hey kids! I've been scrolling/trolling this site for a little while now. There is a lot of good info that i've seen and read on swaps and build ups. I now have a question for those who have actually gone through the process. I have little to no experience with engines except for putting on simple bolt ons. I have a '90 gen2 LS with 199k on it. No really big problems with it yet. Low oil just recently. I now have or will have some cash to spend on getting it built. I wanna do all motor just because it seems like the best suited for my needs(daily driver, stop light racer). So I'm not needing massive power in this car but I do want to have some more under there. Possibly 175-180whp. So, I have been checkin' out sites like JG engine dynamic, DH-racing, etc. and want to know if I should have one of these places do a build for me? Is this a good idea for not being that much of a racer? Should I do it in stages ie. bottom first, save up, take it back, do the head, save up, upgrade internals, etc.? Do I have to have someone remove the engine or component (head/block/t.b.) first and then take it to them? Basically, what is a good route to go for a build since I cant do any of the work myself and want a good product without the problems. This kind of a long post I know but I just would like a starting point and suggestions. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Ice

fuck JG. their blocks suck.

180 whp isn't hard to get... hell, bone stock ls block, slap on a vtec head, and you'll be there.

if you want to rebuild the bottom end- get the vtec oil pump, and up the compression on the pistons.... jdm p30 from the b16a sir2 will net you 11:1 roughly in a stock ls, less with a vtec head.

Back