How would I know if I have bent Valves?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

somedude

How would I know if I have bent valves? There seems to be gas leaking in with the oil. The idle is rough. It seems like the engine is chugging and not running constant. The car runs rich as hell. I hope you guys can give some pointers. Thanks alot.

You could pull your head off and physically check. I don't know if this is your daily driver, so I don't know if you can have alot of down time. I pulled the head off my B16 and put it back on in about 6 hours one day.

Do a compression check. Bent valves will = shitty compression.

Any check engine lights? Oxygen sensor in good shape? Vacuum lines hooked up right? Correct fuel pressure? Proper ECU? NOT chipped by a hill billy? Correct injectors? Tuned up with good plugs at a proper gap and good wires? Cap and rotor in good shape? Timing correct? There are LOTS of reasons a motor will run really rich. Missing a spark pretty often will cause gas to mix into the oil. Then again way too much gas will drown out a spark plug, so one problem could be causing the other.

I guess I need more info is what I'm saying. :dunno:

Quoted post[/post]]
Do a compression check. Bent valves will = shitty compression.

Any check engine lights? Oxygen sensor in good shape? Vacuum lines hooked up right? Correct fuel pressure? Proper ECU? NOT chipped by a hill billy? Correct injectors? Tuned up with good plugs at a proper gap and good wires? Cap and rotor in good shape? Timing correct? There are LOTS of reasons a motor will run really rich. Missing a spark pretty often will cause gas to mix into the oil. Then again way too much gas will drown out a spark plug, so one problem could be causing the other.

I guess I need more info is what I'm saying. :dunno:

There are no check engine lights other than EGR(which isnt hooked up). The O2 was replaced right before I bought the car. he vacuum lines seemed correct. the ONly thing that I didnt see was the purge solenoid. Is this critical and what does this do? I've replaced the plugs a few tiems already and it does not seem to help all that much. As of now, it showed that the timing is jumping quite a bit. I'm not sure what is causing this. I tried replacing the cap and nothing much changed. I'm thinking about buying new valves for it and getting a valve job on it. Do you guys think this is the way to go or are there better options for me before I do this?

did you check your cam timing VIA marks on the cam gears / crank? maybe it slipped a tooth. bent valves shouldnt cause gas to mix with oil, bad rings would do that.

Quoted post[/post]]
did you check your cam timing VIA marks on the cam gears / crank? maybe it slipped a tooth. bent valves shouldnt cause gas to mix with oil, bad rings would do that.

Yeah, we checked the Cam marks this wekeend and they seemed to be lined at TDC. The reason why i think it might be the bent valves is bc people say that if the valves are bent, it would allow gas to flood the combustion chamber and therefore, leak down to. ALso, people say that when an engine is runnign rough and seems to chug at intervals instead of a running at a nice constant tone, then it might be that the valves are bad. Are these legit reasons for me to believe that I have bent valveS?

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

Yeah, we checked the Cam marks this wekeend and they seemed to be lined at TDC. The reason why i think it might be the bent valves is bc people say that if the valves are bent, it would allow gas to flood the combustion chamber and therefore, leak down to. ALso, people say that when an engine is runnign rough and seems to chug at intervals instead of a running at a nice constant tone, then it might be that the valves are bad. Are these legit reasons for me to believe that I have bent valveS?

a quick way to find out if the valves are bad is to do a compression test and or leakdown, you will know right away if there is a problem. one or more cylinders will be way low compared to the rest. compression test is the fastest and easiest way though. go rent a compression tester at autozone if you dont have one.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

a quick way to find out if the valves are bad is to do a compression test and or leakdown, you will know right away if there is a problem. one or more cylinders will be way low compared to the rest. compression test is the fastest and easiest way though. go rent a compression tester at autozone if you dont have one.

Thanks for the replies. I will try a compression test on it. Thanks again.

Back