How's this sound system?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Boondock Saint DX

Alpine 9851 Head Unit
Infinity 6.5 Component System in Front or just speakers with tweeters
Infinity 6.5 Reference Multi-Element Speakers in Rear
Infinity 520 Watt 4-Channel Amp
Can't get woofers...need the trunk space (95 dx hatchback)

I'm pretty new to sound systems and have some questions-

Wouldn't getting a component system be dumb if i were getting an amp?

What's a basslink?

lol, i don't see the point in 560 watts of treble, maybe that's what he meant^
:)
Don't overpay for anything tho!

Originally posted by Boondock Saint DX+Sep 25 2005, 09:44 PM-->
Alpine 9851 Head Unit
Infinity 6.5 Component System in Front or just speakers with tweeters
Infinity 6.5 Reference Multi-Element Speakers in Rear
Infinity 560 Watt 6-Channel Amp
Can't get woofers...need the trunk space (95 dx hatchback)
[post=560305]Quoted post[/post]​
Well, you dont need a 6 channel, just get a 4 channel.

Boondock Saint DX
@Sep 25 2005, 09:44 PM
I'm pretty new to sound systems and have some questions-

Wouldn't getting a component system be dumb if i were getting an amp?

What's a basslink?
[post=560305]Quoted post[/post]​

It's dumb to get a component set and not get an amp, this ensures you get a good amount of power to them. (don't over power, underpowering is bullstink, its because they aren't as efficient=quiter off HU power than stock)

A basslink is an integrated subwoofer and amplifier. You could just buy the basslink, hook it up, and thump away. Neat little (.75 cu ft) all-in-one sub.

everything looks good
the amp isnt really needed, but it will allow for future setups

for the rear speakers i personally would just go with a 6.5 woofer, no tweeters... it makes the immaging MUCH better when the highs are only comming from in front of you

a component set up front is definatly the way to go

Looks like a great setup, except for the amp, which is a little overkill..

I had a complete pioneer system that sounded really well..

Setup: '90 CRX si

Pioneer CD player 45wx4 (Forget which one, was top of the line at that time)

6x9 four way pioneer rear speakers.. (yeah, some fab necessary, not bad)

6 1/2" pioneer Front door speaker and tweeter component set. Tweets on the dash in the corners, crossovers mounted in the rear with the amp.

I ran the rear 6x9's with the deck

I ran the crossovers with a 200W pioneer amp. (The crossovers, of course, running the tweaters and door speakers) Being the main stage, I wanted that to sound the best)

Was a VERY nice system for not a killer amount of $$.. Probably only had like $1200 in the whole thing. No, there was no killer bass.. I was going for clarity and sound quality.. That setup would sing.

Looks good but you have to get some bass from somewhere.....

I have the Kappa perfects up front in my car and the references in the back, and without the subwoofer, it sounds like pure treble and honestly seems two dimensional, and with the sub, it really compliments the music.

aiwa receivers are lame IMO....
you don't need an amp if you have a good deck.

22-25x4 rms out of a deck is plenty loud. thats all i have running my highs, along with a 12" sub, and the highs can go plenty loud without distorting.

rears are for fill- like E said, you'll have better imaging with just a mid-range driver in the rear.

I'm a HUGE infinity fan (almost all of my car and my home theatre system is inifiniti speakers) but the perfect line just doesn't do it for me. i really don't like the way they sound. plus, they are stupid deep- check your mounting depths.... or you might loose the ability to roll down your windows.

In my 92 hatch i have a Clarion DZX715 head unit, with 6.5" alpine type R components powered by Alpine V12 amp and i am VERY satisfied with it, its lound and clear. I get alot of complements from people.

thanks for all the input, i asked if a component system would be dumb if i were getting an amp because it would come with crossovers, and don't most amps already have internal crossovers?

Are there any subs that have good sound and small size? I need ALL my trunk space for my hockey bag, guitar & guitar amp, hockey sticks, etc etc...

editted the amp...still too much power?

its kinda tough to say
small sub that will give you ground pounding bass... good luck
small sub that will give you a much fuller sound with nice rich deep tones... yes
a single 8 or 10 in a small enclosure will do fine... if space is truely a premium then you can either mount the sub in an area that is not usually used at all (kinda like the stealth boxes and such)... or make something that is easily removed, so you can take it out when you need space

personally i would go with a nice small custom built fiberglass enclosure tucked into one of the side pockets at the rear of the hatch area

there are LOTS of good small subs that dont require shit for air space
look around a little and see what ones look best to you
im not getting involved with a fucking brand war

or another option that is almost always overlooked would be to simply put fiberglass enclosures behind the 4 6.5 woofers that you will have... the enclosure will not really take up any additional space and it will give you much more pronounced sound

the crossover on the components don't act like an amp x-over.

the x-over on the speakers will simply split below 1khz or so to the mid range, and above to the tweater. it doesn't cancel any freq's out.

the amp will cut. say, a low-pass x-over will let only 100hz and lower through, and cut the trebble out completely.

seriously, you don't need an amp for highs if you have a good head unit and don't plan to hit 150 spl or more...

you should come listen tot he sti. it sounds bad ass.... and i still have the stock speakers in the doors.
added a good head unit with clean power, and a small 2-channel amp for the 12" ma audio sub. perfectly clear at all REASONABLE sound levels.

i could care less about waking up the neghborhood- i just want to be able to hear my tunes clear with the windows down on the highway. and it does that and more.

have you thought about using a box made for a truck so you have the extra room you need? i have a full size 12 in my hatch and still have room for shit.

Quoted post[/post]]
have you thought about using a box made for a truck so you have the extra room you need? i have a full size 12 in my hatch and still have room for shit.

i really have no idea what a box for a truck is....i need a lot of trunk room tho...my hockey bag along takes up the WHOLE trunk....ALLL

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
I have a 10" fiberglass sub enclosure for a hatchback for sale if you are interested :)

got any pictures of it in your hatch?

I dont think so, basically its a spare tire well box with an extra thick face so the sub is flush mounted and has black carpeting. It was made by a professional shop in the north shore area of MA. If you would like pics or it or are interested shoot me a PM.

Back