1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hp Vs. $

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by punx04, Mar 22, 2003.

1. punx04

punx04 Member

which will get me the most hp for the buck....getting zc pistons or gettin srp 11:1 pistons...(remember i can get a bigger bore size on the srp pistons....soo that will ad even more)

2. Domeskilla

Domeskilla Senior Member

What head are you using? 'Course the forged pistons are better, but what do they cost? ZC pistons, with a Y8 head will yield roughly 12.X:1 (huge post with a chart on honda-tech about that).. ZC pistons are around 50 or so each. So, you decide. :)

3. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

DOHC ZC pistons in a Z6 head will get you about 12.0:1 compression, and in a Y8 head will yield something like 12.6:1 to 12.8:1. I did the calculations a while back... and I'm pretty sure those are the right numbers. From a dealer, OEM pistons should cost you about $30-40 each, plus rings. OEM pistons are also available in .5mm overbore for engine rebuilds, so you might want to look into those as well.

4. punx04

punx04 Member

oh sorry i got a d16a6 (non vtec d series si) and how much of a hp difference do u think the forged 11:1 pistons with a, i deno...minor oversize bore compared to the oem .5mm oversized ze pistons?soo basicly coming back to my original question is it worth saving for srp pistons which are $400 and i have a minimum wage job with few hours....or should i jez go for the zc pistons

5. phunky.buddha

By my calculations, ZC pistons in a D16A6 should yield 10.8:1 compression. You should be able to pick up a set new with rings for about $200 or less, used for even less than that. It's up to you. If you're staying all-motor, then OEM cast pistons won't be bad at all. Boost, you'll want to get forged pistons, but raising compression isn't something you usually want to do before boosting, so I assume you're staying all-motor. It's up to you to decide if you want to pay twice as much for 0.2:1 more compression.

6. punx04

punx04 Member

yea, i'll just stick with the oem pistons ....soo wut is the exact name for zc pistons i want? and wut car did it come from?and they came in a 75mm and 75.5mm? or how big can i get them?

7. phunky.buddha

WHAT, not WUT.

The ZC pistons carried the code of "PM7", and came in the 88-91 JDM Civic Si. The P29 pistons from the D16A1 (USDM 88-89 Integra) have the same specs, and might be a little easier to get through a US dealer. They should both be available in 75.0mm and 75.5mm from the factory. Larger bores will require custom pistons.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted