Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3- usdm 94+ gsr brake conversion. $200-650

• 4- Rear Disc Brake swap from a DelSol Vtec

• 5- Fastbrakes upgr

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

posol

RETIRED
well, i got a fucked up rear caliper. its like frozen or something. still driveable, its just always on... slowing me down, and most importantly, eating a set of pads/rotors in a month.
i gave up on maintaining it... as i have a set of brembos/ebc greens to go on when the swap goes...

well, that doesn't solve my caliper problem....

here are my options i'm weighing-

1-USDM ITR 5-lug conversion.
usdm cuz i jsut bought stage2 axles, and don't want to run a weak ass accord outer joint to the jdm itr hub.

pros-
bad ass stopping power
bad ass looks

cons-
probably will need new pads and rotors on top of the initil cost
will ned 5-lug wheels
did i mention expensive?

2- replace the del sol si rear caliper

pros-
easy to do
can keep same wheels

cons-
availbility of just a caliper for a del sol si rear (no other car uses it, not even the vtec model del sol) is limited at best, and thus will come with a cost from the honda dealer

3- usdm 94+ gsr brake conversion.

pros-
cheap. i found a set of 4 for 200 bucks with Spindles w/ Brake Calipers, Rotors and Hubs
can keep same wheels
can use same axels
better braking than stock del sol si brakes

cons-
who knows the brakes condition. so, figure add another 450+ on brake parts to get some new rotors and pads on that biotch.

4- Rear Disc Brake swap for a civic, from a DelSol Vtec

pros-
about 250 bucks
better availbility of rear rotor sizes

cons-
can't use the brake stuff i have on the rear cuz the rotors are a different size.
I've spent so god damn much on this car, its like whats another grand....

5- fast brakes upgrade

pros- bad ass brakes.

cons- $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
but at the same time, i don't really want to put another dime into it.

if you were in my situation, what would you do?

Fastbrakes if and only if you have the 11" front kit as well. Yeah it costs alot, but it stops better than the ITR conversion, it looks cooler than the ITR conversion. Did I mention that it stops better...

I would go the same route again if I had the choice.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Fastbrakes

BUT, take into consideration, that the front and rear kit from fastbrakes will run me well over 2000 fom what i can see of his website.

and will that even clear my 15's?

I say go with the usdm 94+ gsr setup. Cheap like you said. If the rotors are in bad shape just buy a set of brembo cross drilled and slotted I've seen them go for $240 for all 4. If anyone has seen them cheaper let me know. Your going turbo right? That setup should be able to stop you, hopefully.

gsr
EDIT:
and i've heard not so good things about the ebc green pads, you should get hawk hp+ for front and stock cheapo for rear.

id say rebuild the calliper if its that cheap and easy
if not there is a set of del sol Si rear brakes sitting in bills garage talk to him

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Aug 5 2003, 06:15 PM
BUT, take into consideration, that the front and rear kit from fastbrakes will run me well over 2000 fom what i can see of his website.

and will that even clear my 15's?

$1042 shipped for me man, but you'll still need the rear caliper replaced. It will clear your wheels. If not, a 2mm spacer will work. You should have more room behind your spokes than I do.

not sure the price of the rears but I found the fronts for 750 at here

HybridGarage

the fronts

For the rears, see if you can convert to the civic SI's or some other 5th gen hb

I would say fastbrakes, but only cause my advice would be not to skimp out on brakes. Honestly, with that much HP having a very strong and reliable braking system is a definite must. It's not just like a performance issue, its a pretty big saftey thing.

Yes, all of Brian's 11" kits will fit under 15" wheels. (I am running the same brake kit as Mike under the same wheels, '94 GSR) If you take his 11.75" kit with the 2 piece rotors you have to run 16" wheels.

this is for the REAR caliper
swapping out the fronts to an 11" setup does absolutely nothing to fix the problem
just swapping the rears to whatever fastbrakes or wilwood offer will fuck his braking up (rear tires will lock before the fronts *not good*)
doing both aparently costs more than he cares to spend right now

i still say check out the price for rebuilding it .... if thats a no go then talk to bill

thats funny , in the past week my right rear calliper froze too- where would i go to look for it to be rebuilt -

Is your rear caliper frozen badly, or is your lines all straight. Sometimes a kinked line will keep a brake down, happened to me when me an my friends where changin brakes on a 1999 accord. Damn that was some bad shit, kept that brake down the whole time. So make sure there is no kink anywhere. I'm sure you've already done this but i'm just trying to help out.

rebuild the caliper

or option number 4. you could always sell the brembo that you have for the rear.
and buy the correct brembro for the delsol vtec.

Rebuild the calipurs just to get you by. If you wait you can probably get a great deal on the 5 Lug from some stupid fuck that overspent and needs to get a quick buck to pay the rent.

well, i ended up buying a re-manu caliper from majestic for $100 bucks.

fuck it. it will do for now.

thanks for all the replies

Back