Hrmm Can't Decide....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I was undeclared until my Junior year. However I was lucky in the fact that all the degrees I was interested in had open enrollment. Some majors(like computer science/engineering) don't allow you to take the classes if you're not declared. While undeclared I was taking classes towards 3 majors I was interested in. I declared Advertising Fall 06. I graduated on time in May 08. Should have gone computer science and stayed longer but I digress.

Find something that interests you, pays well(enough to constitute the degree), and make sure the job market isn't flooded(there are TONS of unemployed teachers I graduated with). Most importantly, get a degree that is required to do the job you want to do. Robert DeNiro gave my sister this advice at the Tribeca Film festival, "You can direct, produce, and star in a major studio film with a Phd in medicine. You can't perform brain surgery with a degree in film." She transfered from film at NYU(best program in the country) to pre-med at Rutgers. I should have followed the same advice as my degree is not required to do anything related to advertising.

So going in undecided isn't that big of a deal? I really don't know what I want to do, I'm into computers, cars, photography, mechanical stuff, and a whole bunch of other stuff.
I wouldn't worry about it that much. Your first 2 years at a major 4 year school is just general education classes like everyone has said you would not really need to declear your major till probably end of your second or beginning of your third year.

not true at all.

+1

Usually the way major programs work is that there are 100-level, 200-level, 300-level, and 400-level courses. When you get up to the 300&400 level classes, they require the 100&200 level classes as prerequisites. So, you take two or three classes per semester along with gen ed/elective classes. Often, those other classes you take to fill up your schedule/give you the right amount of credits, you can focus on another subject like a minor.

For example, here's the layout of my major at CSULB. Of course I went to a JC and got my AA there (mostly to save money and decide what path I wanted to go). But the 4 semesters I've been here I started with the lower level classes and filled up my extra time with sociology classes (my minor). The classes count toward both my major and my minor, so I'm not doing double the work. :D

My major:
http://www.csulb.edu/colleges/cla/departments/hdev/courses/
My minor:
http://www.csulb.edu/colleges/cla/departments/sociology/programs/SocMajorConcentrations.html

Last edited:
Right now I'm looking at my required shit.. and the page I'm looking at is no where near as easy to look at as some other college site...

have you considered just going to a 4 year school and not a cc?

no, why would it be out of the question? do you think they only let high school grads go to college? lol

have you considered just going to a 4 year school and not a cc?

er.... Yeah... but I'm a GED graduate.. ... so It's kinda out of the question, right?

HS Grad or GED grad it doesn't matter. There's no harm in applying. If you don't try, the answer's automatically "no", right?

On another note, I'm a believer in going to CC/JC simply because the units do transfer and the cost is a fraction of what a 4-year school is. You still can get a quality education and be smart about the way you spend your $$$.

Hehe yeah, money is definitely an issue for me.. right now I make (if I'm lucky) 1000 bucks a month. Also I'm not a resident of Florida yet. Won't be until August... It's pretty fucked up how they do residency here .

You have to live here for a full YEAR! Way sucky...

So I have to pay three times what a resident pays, which imo is ghhey as hell.

thats how every state is. the people who really get fucked are the international students.

you can get loans, grants, etc.

step 1: submit your FAFSA
step 2: find a school
step 3: pick a major
step 4: go to class and actually learn. don't just go for the paper at the end
step 5: get a job and make money

Hehe yeah, money is definitely an issue for me.. right now I make (if I'm lucky) 1000 bucks a month. Also I'm not a resident of Florida yet. Won't be until August... It's pretty fucked up how they do residency here .

You have to live here for a full YEAR! Way sucky...

So I have to pay three times what a resident pays, which imo is ghhey as hell.

You could always establish residency while saving money at the JC before you go to the 4-year school. At least it won't be as bad as the cost of the 4-year non-residency tuition.

Just an idea...

College is a fucking scam. You'll waste four years of your life going into debt that you could have spent building savings and getting real working experience. Find a field your interested in and apply at whatever level you can get hired as. Then work your ass off, don't be a slacker and you WILL succeed. I swear the American work force has set the bar so low, anyone with a half decent work ethic can't help but succeed. I'm a lazy bastard and I pulled $75K last year, I'll make well over 80 this year, and all I have is a 2.0 GPA High School Diploma. I have a coworker who does the exact same job as me (surveying) and she has TWO engineering degrees. She makes the same money as me, but she's way older and pays as much to her student loans as I pay on my mortgage. Seriously, unless you can get someone else to pay for it (Parents, Military, etc.) Don't even bother.

not true at all.
It is true for my case and all my friends I know. We don't really declear our major or taking classes that really have anything to do with our major till our Junior year. All the classes I have taken so have been just gen eds.

College is a fucking scam. You'll waste four years of your life going into debt that you could have spent building savings and getting real working experience. Find a field your interested in and apply at whatever level you can get hired as. Then work your ass off, don't be a slacker and you WILL succeed. I swear the American work force has set the bar so low, anyone with a half decent work ethic can't help but succeed. I'm a lazy bastard and I pulled $75K last year, I'll make well over 80 this year, and all I have is a 2.0 GPA High School Diploma. I have a coworker who does the exact same job as me (surveying) and she has TWO engineering degrees. She makes the same money as me, but she's way older and pays as much to her student loans as I pay on my mortgage. Seriously, unless you can get someone else to pay for it (Parents, Military, etc.) Don't even bother.

i can't agree with that. the odds of making that much money without a degree are rare.

unless you are doing sales, or something very technical, it's hard to get into. in a short period of time that is. yes, you and B both did it, but for the most part, a degree is a must.

did you work much overtime at your job? that is another way to get a larger pay, work more hours.

Why work and do the same job as someone with a degree and get paid significantly less?

The only thing that sucks right now with the economy is that companies will tend to hire people without a degree simply because that means that they can save money by paying them less.

The safe choice is to have an education so you can have more opportunities in life. You'll be more qualified for more positions which will make you more in the long run. If you think that you won't get hired in a time of crisis... you can always omit that information on your resume if you so desire.

Just my $0.02

Why work and do the same job as someone with a degree and get paid significantly less?

And that happens what 8 times out of 10. Yeah I want those odds against me when I am trying to decide a career. You may be able to not have a degree and make more than others but that is pretty seldom.

Back