Hrmm Can't Decide....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

And that happens what 8 times out of 10. Yeah I want those odds against me when I am trying to decide a career. You may be able to not have a degree and make more than others but that is pretty seldom.

You misunderstood her, but she failed to see where I said I make the same money as the person with 2 degrees.

And yes, what she said about companies preferring to hire non-grads to save money is very true. Companies want people who can do the job, they don't care if you have a piece of paper that you think entitles you to more money. These days, it doesn't.

It's your call. There is no limit to how much you can make degree or no degree. The question is, how much do you want to work, and how much do you want to enjoy life? How much risk are you willing to take? How much debt can you dig yourself back out of? I see more people with degrees struggling to pay their bills, living almost in poverty to pay back their loans than I see successful grads who are wealthy. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but in my opinion, the only thing a degree guarantees is that you owe or spent a shitload of money.

College grads who are smart enough to become wealthy are smart enough to make it without a degree. College isn't going to make you smarter (It will educate you, but that's different). Your success depends on you, not some piece of paper from an organization that states you gave them x amount of money.

College grads who are smart enough to become wealthy are smart enough to make it without a degree. College isn't going to make you smarter (It will educate you, but that's different). Your success depends on you, not some piece of paper from an organization that states you gave them x amount of money.

Very well said.

But, it does give you the upper hand when push comes to shove for a position (in a stable economy, that is).

In my own experience, going into a field where it is more theoretical and analytical, you can't gain a full perspective just by shadowing someone in the field/going through basic training. In areas like psychology, sociology, anthropology, liberal arts, human development, social work, etc, etc, etc... you really do NEED to take the classes to gain a full understanding of the material. Areas that are technical and more trade-like in nature (mechanics, computer science, IT/IS), it is quite possible to get ahead without the formal schooling. But once again, it never hurts to have it.

In areas like psychology, sociology, anthropology, liberal arts, human development, social work, etc, etc, etc...

Those aren't careers, those are hobbies. Why they even pay people in those fields, I'll never understand.

Oh.. another thing:

A way to be smart about the education, aside from taking the first 2 years at a junior/community college, is by not choosing the school just because of the name (Harvard, Pepperdine, etc). It's those schools that will leave you with a $100K+ debt for an education you could have gotten for a fraction of the price, yet still as respected.

I'm getting my education at Cal State Long Beach for about $2000 a semester (with books/fees/parking). To be generous, I'll figure I'm spending $10,000 for the time I'm there (4 semesters).
At my JC, when I started it was $11/unit (now is $26/unit) and I took about 12-15units/semester...Let's say about $1500 for the time I was there (books, parking, misc fees, etc).

$11,500 max for a degree? That's not so bad... And since it's not that much each semester, I'm able to work and afford it without student loans.

FYI: your new best friend for buying/selling textbooks is half.com :)

Those aren't careers, those are hobbies. Why they even pay people in those fields, I'll never understand.

Oooo... don't get me started.

I'm a Human Development major with a Sociology (focus on social deviance) minor. My father is a psychologist, & my mother is a senior social worker.

How would you know how to raise your child if people didn't study the development of cognition, social bonds, the affects of day care vs. in-home care, stranger anxiety, etc?

How could we understand/prevent prejudices, mental illness, behavioral issues, or why people take guns to school and shoot their classmates?

How else could we understand that there are things that are culture specific and be tolerate of them? (Asian cultures believe in the usage of "coining" - putting hot coins on the body as a healing method.... we have to know about the intention so we, as Americans, don't see it as child abuse/negligence)..

I can go on and on...

How would you know how to raise your child if people didn't study the development of cognition, social bonds, the affects of day care vs. in-home care, stranger anxiety, etc?
I didn't study any of those things and I'm a better parent than 90% of America.
How could we understand/prevent prejudices, mental illness, behavioral issues, or why people take guns to school and shoot their classmates?
Humans are prejudice for a reason. It's a survival mechanism and a useful one. Most mental illnesses are excuses for weak minded people to avoid taking responsibility. Most behavioral issues are due to parents who are afraid to physically discipline their kids. People who take guns to school: see behavioral issues.
How else could we understand that there are things that are culture specific and be tolerate of them? (Asian cultures believe in the usage of "coining" - putting hot coins on the body as a healing method.... we have to know about the intention so we, as Americans, don't see it as child abuse/negligence)..
It's pretty cut and dry to me. Just because other cultures do fucked up shit to their kids doesn't mean I have to tolerate it. Tolerance is weakness justified.
I can go on and on...
Please don't, I find reasoning with females to be most aggravating, and that's not what this thread is about ;)

I didn't study any of those things and I'm a better parent than 90% of America.

Humans are prejudice for a reason. It's a survival mechanism and a useful one. Most mental illnesses are excuses for weak minded people to avoid taking responsibility. Most behavioral issues are due to parents who are afraid to physically discipline their kids. People who take guns to school: see behavioral issues.

It's pretty cut and dry to me. Just because other cultures do fucked up shit to their kids doesn't mean I have to tolerate it. Tolerance is weakness justified.

Please don't, I find reasoning with females to be most aggravating, and that's not what this thread is about ;)

The subjects dive down to so many deeper levels than the ones I just mentioned, but from what I can tell, my mere attempt to try to educate you on a subject you obviously know little about will be useless since you don't want to be open to other possibilities. (Could be the way you were raised, your culture/environment, or other factors that shaped this resistance). The fact that you stereotype reasoning with "FEMALES" is another topic completely its own (could be based on previous experience... but that's a study for the field you won't give any consideration to).

So, to get back on track to the college subject:

Get the education so you can hold your head up high and know what the f*ck you're talking about when confronted with situations like this. lol It'll make you more open-minded and down to Earth. (look at who has taken a broad number of classes/subjects in this conversation and who claims they're doing just fine without one).

I went to University of Nebraska-Lincoln for a year and paid 13,000 as a in-state resident. This was only because my dad was stationed there before we moved to Germany. I was pre-med majoring in biology and minoring in biochemistry but I had to take English 150. wtf. So I decided to go back to the motherland and get my degree at the University of Mainz without all the shitty gen ed courses. I only pay about 250 dollars a semester and I get the same education that I would have received in the states. The only catch is that I have to speak,read and write german (i'm half german so this isn't a big deal) but since most of biology material comes from America or England the profs will suggest texts in english. I think this is a great deal and if there are high school students who want to see the world this is a great opportunity. They've changed it to bachelor and master degrees and most undergrad programs are only 3 years.

The subjects dive down to so many deeper levels than the ones I just mentioned, but from what I can tell, my mere attempt to try to educate you on a subject you obviously know little about will be useless since you don't want to be open to other possibilities. (Could be the way you were raised, your culture/environment, or other factors that shaped this resistance). The fact that you stereotype reasoning with "FEMALES" is another topic completely its own (could be based on previous experience... but that's a study for the field you won't give any consideration to).

So, to get back on track to the college subject:

Get the education so you can hold your head up high and know what the f*ck you're talking about when confronted with situations like this. lol It'll make you more open-minded and down to Earth. (look at who has taken a broad number of classes/subjects in this conversation and who claims they're doing just fine without one).

I like you. It is nice to see someone educated on here. I get angry at people (specifically men) who are tunnel-visioned and refer to women as 'females'. I think you and I have bigger balls than some men and anatomically speaking that is impossible.

A way to be smart about the education, aside from taking the first 2 years at a junior/community college, is by not choosing the school just because of the name (Harvard, Pepperdine, etc). It's those schools that will leave you with a $100K+ debt for an education you could have gotten for a fraction of the price, yet still as respected.
you couldn't be farther off on this. if you really believe this, you are stuck in your little area of cali. yes, it's true, that if you want to work in a small town and study psychology, a degree from a local school will suit you just fine. if someone took their cal state degree and tried to apply for a job in big business (ie executive level work at a fortune 500 company) you would be laughed out of the office. (unless you have 20+ years work experience.

it's a common fact that if you want to be a teacher or some liberal arts hippie garbage, it is a waste to go to Harvard, NYU, Princeton, etc, because the pay for those jobs sucks balls and the difference in pay between having gone to an ivy league school and a local state college is moot.

you need to look at the big picture. if you want to make real money. i mean REAL money. not $60k, not $80, I mean $200k+ you need to go to somewhere bigger. you need the paper, you need the connections and networking, you need to work in an area that pays that stuff.
Oooo... don't get me started.

I'm a Human Development major with a Sociology (focus on social deviance) minor. My father is a psychologist, & my mother is a senior social worker.

I can go on and on...
i know all of that shit and i didn't study it.

kids take guns to school because they are pussies. their parents didn't hug them enough and they needed attention. cut and dry.

like what was posted above, all of that other stuff is a hobby. raising a kid really isn't that hard. if i was put on an island when i was born, then i had a kid when i was 20, i would do a dandy fine job raising a kid. it's take 2 shots of common sense and 1 shot of affection and you have the recipe for a "good parent martini".

people tend to overanalyze it wayyyyy too fucking much. hug your kid, tell it "i love you", send it outside to play once in a while, and bust his ass when he screws up. everybody wants an excuse for shit. hence add and adhd. your kid isn't special, he's bored as fuck or wants attention.

I like you. It is nice to see someone educated on here. I get angry at people (specifically men) who are tunnel-visioned and refer to women as 'females'. I think you and I have bigger balls than some men and anatomically speaking that is impossible.
you fail. if you have read posts on this forum, there are actually quite a few intelligent and educated people here.

the bottom line is this. if you want to get a degree, it's going to do a lot more than just give you the paper. employers look at it as an ability to commit and work for 4 years. study, and actually stay with something. not just the education. but with that said, you need to learn the fundamentals of what you are going to do for work, where better to do that than school?

if you don't learn a skill, gain networking and connections, and just fuck off all the time, then yeah, you don't need the school.

as far as people doing well without a degree, yes, it's possible. but 99% of the time it will be capped and if you had the degree, it would be 1 extra chip in the pot.

If you're going to get into computers....don't waste your time with college. get your certifications, like your A+, Network+ Microsoft shit and Cisco shit and your in. When I worked with B along time ago I had a degree in computer science and was already working for the company as a CSR in the call center. They were looking for 2 network admin people. I don;t even think B had college back then and him and another hippy dude got the jobs, i wasn't even considered but i pretty sure B had it A+ or network + already....

RMEMEBR B, at ACC?

If you're going to get into computers....don't waste your time with college. get your certifications, like your A+, Network+ Microsoft shit and Cisco shit and your in. When I worked with B along time ago I had a degree in computer science and was already working for the company as a CSR in the call center. They were looking for 2 network admin people. I don;t even think B had college back then and him and another hippy dude got the jobs, i wasn't even considered but i pretty sure B had it A+ or network + already....

RMEMEBR B, at ACC?

rep, I've known about a bunch of people going either way. the certified ones get scooped up faster, and usually spend less on schooling in the end. Not to mention you actually have to know what you're doing there.

rep, I've known about a bunch of people going either way. the certified ones get scooped up faster, and usually spend less on schooling in the end. Not to mention you actually have to know what you're doing there.
Yeah so true...its more hands on shit too, rather then dealing with the hassle of general courses. WTF does a network admin need with history and psychology.

Prometric Services: Testing and Assessment

Bam done

College is a fucking scam.

yes and no.

It is a LOT of money for little gain... i'll agree with that.
Honestly, it depends on your field of choice.
Anything technical, it's pretty over-rated.

i can't agree with that. the odds of making that much money without a degree are rare.

he does it..

Clayton and I both broke 6 figures last year. neither of us have degrees.

you and B both did it, but for the most part, a degree is a must.
90% of my office does not hold a degree. we're all techies.

did you work much overtime at your job? that is another way to get a larger pay, work more hours.
that's what clayton does. he works weekends and holidays and such.

lol agreed.

RMEMEBR B, at ACC?
yeah, but i actually did know what i was doing :p i had my A+ yes.

besides, all we did was play mini put anyway. lol

tech is an exception to the rule. but if you have the EXACT same skill set, the degree will set you apart.

and for clayton, he worked upwards of 80 hours a week quite often. if you work a $45k job, and work double hours, you are going to break $100k easy.

damn, i forgot all the tricks. last hole owned me. we used to get 18's and 19's all day. lol

Attachments

• miniput.JPG
    miniput.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 138
Back