Hrmm Can't Decide....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Again, i disagree...

if you have the same skill set, your personality is what gets you the job, not the degree.

we are debating semantics. if the SAME EXACT asshole walked in, there needs to be something that sets you apart. the paperwork will do that.

Tech, Sales, Starting at a startup, entrepeneur, and military are all things you don't need a degree to succeed in.

medical, finance, analyses, planning, just about anything white collar, you need a degree for.

It is really disappointing to me how some of you view these things as hobbies...

Do you ever notice how there is differential treatment of people on a daily basis? How minorities get crappy service at restaurants, for example? Well, servers have developed a stereotype of "minorities are poor tippers; poor tippers are a waste of time; why bother in the first place to try to give good service if it'll be a bad tip automatically". Ever notice how society responds to different races, genders, ethnicities, creed, and social classes? We study these areas to try to make a better world to live in.

For the kids that shoot their classmates. I'm not denying the option that their parents could be at fault... but what about their peers? Bullying is a HUGE problem. If they are constantly being rejected and/or humiliated by their peers it can greatly affect how that individual responds. During the 13-17 age span, we are desperately seeking our own identity. We achieve a sense of identity largely by how other's respond to/perceive us. (see Cooley's "the looking-glass self").

Erving Goffman, a famous sociologist, did a study on stigmatization. If/when a person is labeled (ex-con, delinquent, trouble-maker, etc) it is with that person for the rest of his/her life. People no longer see the person for WHO they are, but more for WHAT they are (the label). If an "ex-con" tried to obtain a legitimate lifestyle after jail, they would be judged as dangerous or high-risk and would not get the opportunities they deserve simply because of their negative stigma. Think about the people who have been incarcerated wrongfully, and did not commit the crime. Their chances of a normal life has been stripped form them simply because they have a label.

Studies also dive into the realm of effects of going to war overseas on soldiers. Soldiers are taught and drilled to conform to the military lifestyle/culture of being strong and part of a unit. If they do happen to have post traumatic stress and cannot handle it on their own, they are scared to seek help, simply because they will let down their unit and be called as p*ssy. Many soldiers return home and do not receive the help they need and end up taking their own lives as a result (literally, or figuratively through self-medication with drugs/alcohol).

On a lighter note, and an area of personal interest, is how we interact with our children and help in their learning. Studies have shown that sign language with infants can increase their IQ up to 14 points and eliminate stress between parent and child. Utilizing sign language along with spoken language, a child can respond back as early as 6 months (well before their vocal chords have fully developed). Imagine the relief of having your child sign to you and tell you what they are crying about instead of having to guess.

Ever notice when we learn certain math concepts? Without Piaget's studies we wouldn't know when to teach these things so the child could fully understand it. The conservation concept (a cup of liquid is still a cup of liquid even if your pour it into a different shaped container) is something that 4 and 5 year olds cannot understand because they neural pathways are not yet developed in the brain. (Perfect vid that shows two children on this subject: YouTube - Piagetian Conservation Tasks )

Ever wonder why a baby is SO surprised EVERY time you play peek-a-boo? To them, they have not yet established object permanence, the concept that things exist even when they are out of sight. To them, out of sight really is out of mind/existence.

A thing that can help everyone/anyone in an emergency situation:
Pretend you have a loved one/child with you and you are walking through the mall. They experience a seizure. What do you do? Do you just call out for help? "Someone call 911!" I hope that's not all you do.
From studies, we are able to learn about diffusion of responsibility. Do you call 911 when you see a car accident, or assume someone else did? In crowd situations people do not feel that urgent sense of responsibility and everyone assumes someone else is doing it, so they don't have to. If you are ever in a situation like the mall scenario (hopefully not), you need to single out one person, make eye contact, and tell them specifically to call 911/get help.

We study these things to help everyday life and society as a whole. We can learn how to better educate children at different ages/stages of their lives and techniques that can help improve society.

These are NOT hobbies. I hope that you are all thankful that there are people like this out there trying to make your world a more livable place.

It is really disappointing to me how some of you view these things as hobbies...

Do you ever notice how there is differential treatment of people on a daily basis? How minorities get crappy service at restaurants, for example? Well, servers have developed a stereotype of "minorities are poor tippers; poor tippers are a waste of time; why bother in the first place to try to give good service if it'll be a bad tip automatically". Ever notice how society responds to different races, genders, ethnicities, creed, and social classes? We study these areas to try to make a better world to live in.

For the kids that shoot their classmates. I'm not denying the option that their parents could be at fault... but what about their peers? Bullying is a HUGE problem. If they are constantly being rejected and/or humiliated by their peers it can greatly affect how that individual responds. During the 13-17 age span, we are desperately seeking our own identity. We achieve a sense of identity largely by how other's respond to/perceive us. (see Cooley's "the looking-glass self").

Erving Goffman, a famous sociologist, did a study on stigmatization. If/when a person is labeled (ex-con, delinquent, trouble-maker, etc) it is with that person for the rest of his/her life. People no longer see the person for WHO they are, but more for WHAT they are (the label). If an "ex-con" tried to obtain a legitimate lifestyle after jail, they would be judged as dangerous or high-risk and would not get the opportunities they deserve simply because of their negative stigma. Think about the people who have been incarcerated wrongfully, and did not commit the crime. Their chances of a normal life has been stripped form them simply because they have a label.

Studies also dive into the realm of effects of going to war overseas on soldiers. Soldiers are taught and drilled to conform to the military lifestyle/culture of being strong and part of a unit. If they do happen to have post traumatic stress and cannot handle it on their own, they are scared to seek help, simply because they will let down their unit and be called as p*ssy. Many soldiers return home and do not receive the help they need and end up taking their own lives as a result (literally, or figuratively through self-medication with drugs/alcohol).

On a lighter note, and an area of personal interest, is how we interact with our children and help in their learning. Studies have shown that sign language with infants can increase their IQ up to 14 points and eliminate stress between parent and child. Utilizing sign language along with spoken language, a child can respond back as early as 6 months (well before their vocal chords have fully developed). Imagine the relief of having your child sign to you and tell you what they are crying about instead of having to guess.

Ever notice when we learn certain math concepts? Without Piaget's studies we wouldn't know when to teach these things so the child could fully understand it. The conservation concept (a cup of liquid is still a cup of liquid even if your pour it into a different shaped container) is something that 4 and 5 year olds cannot understand because they neural pathways are not yet developed in the brain. (Perfect vid that shows two children on this subject: YouTube - Piagetian Conservation Tasks )

Ever wonder why a baby is SO surprised EVERY time you play peek-a-boo? To them, they have not yet established object permanence, the concept that things exist even when they are out of sight. To them, out of sight really is out of mind/existence.

A thing that can help everyone/anyone in an emergency situation:
Pretend you have a loved one/child with you and you are walking through the mall. They experience a seizure. What do you do? Do you just call out for help? "Someone call 911!" I hope that's not all you do.
From studies, we are able to learn about diffusion of responsibility. Do you call 911 when you see a car accident, or assume someone else did? In crowd situations people do not feel that urgent sense of responsibility and everyone assumes someone else is doing it, so they don't have to. If you are ever in a situation like the mall scenario (hopefully not), you need to single out one person, make eye contact, and tell them specifically to call 911/get help.

We study these things to help everyday life and society as a whole. We can learn how to better educate children at different ages/stages of their lives and techniques that can help improve society.

These are NOT hobbies. I hope that you are all thankful that there are people like this out there trying to make your world a more livable place.

you need a beer....

there is a japanese saying i like, "the nail that sticks up, gets hammered down"

darwinism, survivalism, whatever you want to call it. let the weak fail and the strong succeed. hundreds of years ago, if you were a pussy, you were a pussy. they didn't need people to sit and study it for hours, days, months, or years.

kids don't get fucked up because of a bully and go on a shooting rampage overnight. this is developed over a long period of time. the problem is, nobody wants to take responsibility.

"hey, lets blame marilyn manson and eminem"....are you fucking kidding me. maybe you should pay attention when your kid is skinning cats and blowing up dogs with pipe bombs.

take the little kid who has issues, hug him, comfort him. tell him it's ok to get beat up and to toughen up. if that doesn't work, send him to an institute and make sure those parents don't have kids. there is too much god damn nurturing going on. too much acceptance of mediocracy. the u.s. fails in so many areas of raising people to be just plain fucking normal. we don't teach them about success, failure, hard work, basic skills of life. all this should be taught at a young age, not evaluating it after they go berserk.

studying people is a hobby. it doesn't progress the country. it's evaluating a situation because of curiosity. like the movie 300, if they aren't fit for society, throw them to the wolves.

designing technology, being a doctor, building cars and houses, and constructing the financial stability of the country are jobs and careers.

in the end, studying this stuff doesn't change it. roll with the punches and deal with it. we can't change it unless we become "equilibrium" where nobody has emotions, feelings, or individual thoughts.

studying them isn't going to make them a better tipper....

For the kids that shoot their classmates.
Studies also dive into the realm of effects of going to war overseas on soldiers.

studies don't fix them. what's the point of it?

studying them isn't going to make them a better tipper....

studies don't fix them. what's the point of it?

in the end, studying this stuff doesn't change it. roll with the punches and deal with it. we can't change it unless we become "equilibrium" where nobody has emotions, feelings, or individual thoughts.

sounds like what i said.

how about people study something important. like how to kill the terrorists better or something else productive.

Stereotypes wouldn't exist if they weren't usually true. All of my prejudice has been learned first hand. I'm free to hate whoever I want. Don't force your tolerance on me.

Stereotypes wouldn't exist if they weren't usually true. All of my prejudice has been learned first hand. I'm free to hate whoever I want. Don't force your tolerance on me.
i'm the same way.

there is a specific group of people that i hate more than anything. I didn't hate them until they did something to me.

1) they stole my car
2) tried to jump me with 3 guys because they "thought i was looking at their girl"
3) started some shit with a gf of mine. just being fucking sketchy

it's only racism if you don't have a first hand reason to hate someone or a group.

the problem with that logic is that you're putting <10 people as an antire repesentation of the entire race/ethic group/religion/etc.

I hate 13 year old white kids because 2 or 3 smashed my sti
i hate 23 year old white chicks because one broke my heart

come on

the problem with that logic is that you're putting <10 people as an antire repesentation of the entire race/ethic group/religion/etc.

I hate 13 year old white kids because 2 or 3 smashed my sti
i hate 23 year old white chicks because one broke my heart

come on

I don't have prejudices based on ethnicity. It's really easy to tell whether someone is an upstanding african american or a worthless negro. It's also easy to tell if a white person is someone to be trusted or not. I mainly have prejudices against people with certain behaviors, but appearance does play an important role (do-rags, baggy clothes, wife beaters with tobacco stains...)

agreed. I'm more of a culutrist than anything. I'd rather hang out with a black guy in a suit, an arab in jeans, or a jewish man in warm ups than a white guy with a fubu shirt on

i wont judge immediately, but it doesn't take much to put me off.

you can't tell me that it doesn't push you a certain way and that you don't pre-judge people. everybody does a little bit.

Where are you moving to?

Not moving I got here (FL) like almost eight months ago. Also I'm not really trying to graduate, I just want my 15 credits... To join the military...

I think I might have found out how to do it though... I'm gonna go and talk to an advisor this weekend.

seriously dude, why do you want to go to the military? start a thread in the members lounge about it, i know of at least 4 or 5 members who have served. when it comes down to it, the 15 credits wont do that much for you.

either go reserve, and come back and go to college or go in as an officer. being enlisted sucks balls.

did you work much overtime at your job? that is another way to get a larger pay, work more hours.
hahaaha.. lol, I work at a galvanized HVAC pipe and fittings factory... which are mostly used in new homes..... How many overtime hours you think I'm getting right now?

not a damn bit

Get the education so you can hold your head up high and know what the f*ck you're talking about when confronted with situations like this.

Yeah thats a good idea, not taking sides here, but in my job... if I don't know what I'm doing/talking about I usually get the whupass verbally... :mellow:

Why you gots to be mean to klyph??? He's just pissed cuz he's freezing his balls off up there lol

being over coddled as a child directly leads you to believe everybody is being mean when they are simply being direct or firm.

kids take guns to school because they are pussies. their parents didn't hug them enough and they needed attention. cut and dry.
haha lol nicely said

your kid isn't special, he's bored as fuck or wants attention.
dude... I was told I have adhd... does that mean I'm gonna shoot someone? lol i probably will though... haha

your theory on add is good though, I fit both of those criteria as a child, hell I'm still bored as fuck though..

All I was trying to say is that by studying these things we can implement changes for the better. (Knowing the way the military views seeking mental help can inspire changes within the actual system to make it seen less negatively - negative stigma- and more people can get the help they may need, etc)

BTW, the mention of Darwin and fight/flight (survival of the fittest) behavior is sociology at it's finest. Also, look up altruism... (ie: spending energy that could be used to your own survival to flaunt "good" genes - male peacock for example... his feathers could make him a much more easy target for predators, but it attracts the ladies. Female peacocks look for the male who can spend the most energy - is the strongest by having the biggest feathers - and chose to mate with him, thus ensuring the survival of his genes)

I like how you didn't have anything to say about the hypothetical seizure situation.

You know, it's okay to admit that there are things out there that you are unaware of that do benefit society (even though it's not mechanical/medical)... as Socrates stated in Plato's The Apology, "a wise man knows that he knows nothing".
Why claim to know everything when knowing everything is impossible?
:shrug2:

Back