HTPC is all together, (pics added in first post!)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ok, i got everything sorted out. i really only have 2 problems left.

first. watching live tv, or movies, or recordings from the front end the video is glitchy. like the processor cant handle it, but i know thats not the case. the backend is wireless. do you think everything is getting hung up through the network? or maybe bad settings?

and i still have not been able to get a static IP setup on the wireless backend. all the settings are correct, but when i try it fails to connect. anyone?

ok i think my wireless netowrk is causing lag in the stream. i hard wired it all and tv and recorded tv streams were fine. movies were still a little slow, but i think its because my wireless router only hass 100 ports so its getting limited there (both backend and frontends have gigabit lan) so im gonna check out some wireless N routers and see if that will fix my issues with that.

but i need to find a solution for my DVDs. dvd shrink is inconsistent and it sucks having to transfer them all over manually. i would like to use mythtv to rip the dvd's to .iso's and then put them in the correct directory. but MythDVD doesnt work. it tells me that there are no jobs. but it will play the dvd. how do i fix this?

well i got nearly everything fixed :) wireless was causing some issues, but i didnt want a wire running across my floor, so i bought a 50' ethernet cable and ran it around the perimeter under the carpet. so its completely hidden and works like a charm. after that live tv was fixed, but i was still having issues with movies being played on the frontend. i thought it was the problem of the 100 Mbps LAN ports and i was this close to buying a router with gigabit ports but, it turns out it was just the XvMC causing issues. i turned it off and everything is fine. saved me a good bit of money :)

and i just needed the right dvd codecs for the transcoding to work properly. ive got about 25 dvd full rips on in my collection already and still growing :) sabz you werent kidding about harsh on drive space, lol. im thinking about picking up a 1 TB drive and making an LVM out of it and my 450 GB partition thats currently holding the recordings/dvd rips. i know its probably better to have different drives for different things, but i really dont need 6 different drives. id prefer to have everything just spanned between 1 or 2 drives.

i have to say, with all the bugs worked out, im very impressed with mythtv. im running the current version 0.20.2 on mythbuntu 7.10. i cant wait to unleash its full potential when i load it up with music, games, more dvd rips and some tv recordings.

i really only need a remote for the frontend. im just using the keyboard for it now. im thinking about getting the microsoft MCE remote, apparently its very good for myth. and cheap too :)

HAHA! Yeah, drive space is where your money will go.

Since you'll be using the TV part of Myth a bit, head over here: LYNGSAT LOGO -  TV Logotypes: A They have channel logos for EVERY CHANNEL IMAGINABLE. Grab the ones you need (name 'em ch01.jpg ch02.jpg etc.) and toss em into a /wherever/chanicons directory. Go into your channel editor and give each channel its logo. You'll have to share this directory to the frontend in the same place it resides on the backend, hence a chanicon directory. Just another geek-factor goodie.

u have pictures of the setup or diagram to break it down for us dummies. Im pretty interested in this. Sounds like a fun project.

yeah, I find myself to be pretty smart, but this is just geekazoid. there needs to be a mythtv for dummies published

Back