1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hummer is more economical to own than a prius

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by pissedoffsol, Jul 26, 2007.

1. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

PRIUS OUTDOES HUMMER IN ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE | Daily Policy Digest | NCPA

2. Celerity

Celerity Well-Known Member

This is very true. Wait till you see how ethanol E85 works out.

The expense of this research is found in the replacement of the batteries. Insights suffering from the same. You'll be finding Insights this winter getting 30 or so MPG and selling for $4000 or less because their batteries are starting to need replaced. And it ain't cheap.

Infact, looking at those numbers, they came to the conclusion in the Prius being at '100,000 miles" because you need to replace the batteries about every 50,000 miles. That means that at the 100,000 mark it will have had 3 battery installs, and that's where the pollution figure comes from. If you make it that whole way with one battery set you WILL see the costs drop dramatically.

at $1 per mile total cost ownership (Which is SUPER fucking high) and 300,000 miles you're talking about a car costing more over the course of about 20-25 years than a house (payment only). And that's not necessarily true either.

In my experience, I have only read about 5 (And met 1) people that have the intelligence to present statistics.

Working by true statistical analysis and simple averages (Not even a great method of getting statistics) a used $1000 1986-1991 Honda Civic hatchback is the most intelligent car an american can buy. Blowing this figure away, the pre 1989 Toyota pickup is the most intelligent truck, and the 1984-1990 Dodge Caravan is the most intelligent minivan. Again, these are bought used for about $1000 for a good example.

Owning a motorcycle isn't even great unless you do all the work yourself and understand the maintanance intervals well. My bike came with a necessary 600 mile checkup to the tune of $400+. Then oil, tires, service and other items that follow are astronomically high. If I didn't do my own work, and went to the mechanics for my maintanence then I would be knee deep in expense for the 250. Make that a $16,000 bike and the stakes raise substantially. By the time I'm done with my payments and I own my little, cheap-ass 250 It will have cost me about $0.50 a mile to ride. Hopefully I can recoup that cost in the resale if I keep it shiny and don't drop it on the ground.

Never look at your car in a financial manner.. you'll stop driving if you do. (Brian ?)

3. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

it's worth every penny, steve :)

4. Celerity

Celerity Well-Known Member

I can see that (remember, I finance a 76 Cosworth Vega) but damn man... It's well over $1000 a month to own that car.

5. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

ill drink to that worth every penny part.

i may not drive an M, or even a fast car, but this mirage is the most fun ive had in a car ever.

6. Black Widow g2

Black Widow g2 *princess*

+2 but I own my integra.

What I want to know is... what about the FCX?

7. cheese9988

cheese9988 Senior Member VIP

Putting aside the gas savings, will the Prius run if the battery goes bad?

8. totalburnout

totalburnout Well-Known Member VIP

This is a question of environmental damage, not a cost analysis for those who missed that point.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  9. GSRCRXsi

GSRCRXsi Super Moderator Moderator VIP

mike (B16) did a paper on this in college i believe. at least thats what he told me.

10. Black Widow g2

I still want to know about the FCX. Screw the prius. Bring on the Hydrogen Car!

11. ScrapinSi

ScrapinSi Senior Member

Oh Jesus Fucking Christ! The Hummer IS NOT more economical! This is a big facade!! They whine because the batteries used in the prius come from factories that put out high emissions... BOO FUCKING WHOO...

12. B16

B16 Super Moderator VIP

WTF you talkin about, I never said such thing. You crack head!

13. Black Widow g2

the 'whining' is about how the uppity hippies who are environmentally conscious buy these cars believing they're doing something good for the environment, when in actuality, it depletes the environment to make it. so, they're hypocrites.

14. ThatGuy4life

ThatGuy4life The Riced Sleeper

Nicely put, rminds me of that one episode of John Doe

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted