HUmming Noise in Engine (B20)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

WickedCarparts

Sup guys, I have a b20b motor in my ek. before this humming noise started, my water pump was messed up and I didn't know it. So my engine was always overheating, but I kept on driving it. Until after a while, when the engine idles real low, there's a humming noise. You can hear it come from the filter. When you rev the engine, the humming noise goes away, but once it gets low again, it hums. Can anyone tell me what might be wrong with it? Also, once in a while, i get a bog while i'm driving on the freeway. It feels like there's no gas going to the engine, but I have enough gas in the gas tank. The problem i'm having now is when i'm driving on the freeway, lets say i gas it for a while, like i'm racing, then wen i let go of the gas, the motor shuts off, is it the alternator? Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

Quoted post[/post]]
Sup guys, I have a b20b motor in my ek. before this humming noise started, my water pump was messed up and I didn't know it. So my engine was always overheating, but I kept on driving it. Until after a while, when the engine idles real low, there's a humming noise. You can hear it come from the filter. When you rev the engine, the humming noise goes away, but once it gets low again, it hums. Can anyone tell me what might be wrong with it? Also, once in a while, i get a bog while i'm driving on the freeway. It feels like there's no gas going to the engine, but I have enough gas in the gas tank. The problem i'm having now is when i'm driving on the freeway, lets say i gas it for a while, like i'm racing, then wen i let go of the gas, the motor shuts off, is it the alternator? Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.
start your car, let it idle
pop the hood and remove a battery termial, if the alternator, the engine should stop running.
Check your fuel pump also and all your grounds it'll bog out if you're grounds are loose, theres one on the starter which i seem to always overlook.

Either that you might have sucked up a singing midget into your engine :wink:

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
pop the hood and remove a battery termial, if the alternator, the engine should stop running.
Check your fuel pump also and all your grounds it'll bog out if you're grounds are loose, theres one on the starter which i seem to always overlook.

Either that you might have sucked up a singing midget into your engine :wink:
Don't do that to test the alternator. That's some shadetree crap that can possibly fry the alternator if it isn't already. Easiest thing(assuming you can't tackle this yourself) is to take it to Autozone, or wherever, and they will test it for free. Otherwise I agree with ^. That is a good starting point, at least. I suggest you lay out traps for the singing midget. Don't know what kind of havoc he might wreak.

What the hell? Since when do you test a alternator that way? I know its a old time myth but never do that, the battery is there to regulate the voltage and if you let it run on the alternator, voltage spikes could possible damage your electrical components. Go to autozone, let them test it.

just get a voltmeter if the voltage is around 14 volts the alternator is good,but the humming noise could come from timing belt

Thanks for the info. I was just wondering if anybody had this problem with their b20. For some reason, I think i might have damaged the motor by always driving it when it was overheating. Maybe i messed up the sleeves??

Back