Hurricane Sandy

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bit of rain and wind
nothing all that serious here

i actually went out and did some shopping when i got out of work last night
stores were open so i figured F it why not
it was kinda weird being in a big ass warehouse club store and being the only non-employee there

stopped over Mikes and watched some Top Gear then went and flew my 2 line para-foil kite for a little while when there was a break in the rain but the wind was still nice and high :)

Yeah, this storm was a bust for us inlanders.... we've had thunderstorms that were way more serious this summer.
Coasts got flodded and fucked. We never even lost power.

Con ED exploded in New York. DC/Maryland area is pretty bad I've heard. My buddy was texting me they lost power and are flooding a bit in Maryland.

Jeff/Awptickes? Bad over there?

I assume Awptickes has the plate carrier on and locked and loaded.

My mom had a tree fall in her yard. Going to check on the cottage this afternoon.

apparently completely fine at my house, didnt even lose power. (i spent the night at work last night, didnt want to drive), and my house is pretty close to the water, 1-200yds away.

i need to check up on my old house though. the CRX is still stashed in the garage there and that area is more prone to flooding and its closer to the water.

had power go out for a couple minutes, just enough to reset clocks.
mother lost power around 3pm, brother around 5pm and sister around 11pm. my brother lives on the same road as me, yet he always loses power and i don't. horray separate grids.

lots of trees down, either snapped or completely uprooted and toppled
no damage in or around my house. few large limbs from a black walnut down at my job for me to clean up. my pops house has multiple trees down, one across the lines and fucked up the customer owned pole, so that should be a chore to get straightened out.
waiting for rain to let up to go run the chainsaw.

2 trees hit my cousins house, one completely destroying the screened in porch on the back.

my boss... sometimes he just dont get it.

[15:01] Kevin: when will the earthlink phones be rolled out? what's your time frame?
[15:02] ChristopherF: when verizon turns things up... its been postponed for the meantime
[15:02] Kevin: why?
[15:02] Kevin: can I get some speficis?
[15:02] ChristopherF: maybe because power, phones, and cable are down for hundreds of thousands in the area.

So, I took a picture of my house Saturday morning, and took a picture from the same angle this morning.

I have less leaves on the roof now. lol.

I didn't lose power, didn't lose any trees, and the roof still leaks where it leaked a year ago. My sandbags helped with the basement flooding, I didn't get any water coming down the basement steps into the basement. Instead it ran along the outside of the house and down the door, lol.

Had power, had internet, had heat, not bad except that I didn't go outside at all yesterday.

4cMdY.jpg

The pavilion at the beach down the road from my fiance's beach cottage had about 3 feet worth of sand in it. The parking lot and the road parallel to the beach were completely covered in several feet of sand. It appeared that there was not major damage to any houses, maybe some flooded basements. There is a point next to the beach, that got worn away. A few more storms like this and it will be gone.

Don't worry, I survived. I'm sure you were all scared to death. Still without power though. I'm at work, sadly, because they have power and apparently that's reason enough to open.

Hazlet is without power Along with most of Monmouth County. My family and a few friends are on generators, but mostly running for an hour or two to keep fridges cold. Gas is becoming a serious problem. Most stations are out, or it's a 2+ hour wait to fill a 5 gallon can (no cars allowed). There was a riot at the station by my house, and I just heard of another nearby. People are getting nuts.

My neighborhood fared pretty well. The "wet-side" of Route 36 took it hard from Cliffwood Beach, all the way down to Atlantic Highlands, and obviously the coast got fucked. It was nearly all storm surge, we barely got any rain. But most of the coastline has been erased back a few blocks. Talking sand, debris, and not much else. Beyond that still had tons of water damage and tree down too. Some areas did better, some got hit a hell of a lot worse. I've heard there has been looting in Union Beach and Keansburg. A neighbor even said a few people in our development had their generators walk off.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&n...a=X&ei=stSSUOWlFMeJ0QHvooHgCA&ved=0CB8Q8gEwAA I live just to the south of that point. Just to the north was the part I was talking about.

I planned on volunteering in Keyport today, but apparently it's more important that I sit behind a desk in West Long Branch, bored out of my mind with nothing to do. I'm about to leave for the day, so I'll be without power again, but I'll check back in tomorrow or the next day.

Last edited:
Back