hybrid setup

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

alright cool then, cuz like I was getting worried, cuz everybody before I posted my reply was just straight saying, no it won't work, it can't work, you need LS rods, the clearance is too dangerous, when in my motor I had no problems and am having no problems, I was just saying should I be worried, with that set up. Cuz that is what I am running.

ya so your running an ls block with ls crank and which rods tho...gsr or ls?

see that is what i am saying, I fried my ls rods with nitrous when I was just running the ls motor with 150 shot. so when the LS vtec was being built Action had a set of GSRs and that is what they put in there with usdm type R pistons,on a LS crank. with a b-16 head, with no milling at all. just port and polish with type R valvetrain, even stock b-16 cams.

well i guess its alright because u are not having any issues and also u said u had someone else do it so if anything goes rong just hold them liable

i got confused half way through... so in case it wasn't said...

LS and gsr blocks are the same height.

ls rods and a gsr crank wont work.
gsr rods and an ls crank wont work.

ls rods and crank will
gsr rank and rods will.

i dont think you really have the gsr rods on the ls crank in a build engine. either you are misinformed or you are lying. having an ls crank with gsr rod would put your piston to deck clearance "out of the hole", meaning the pistons will actually come out of the cylinder. with a head on there you would slam the head and mess everything up. i doubt it would even start cause it wont be ale to get to TDC, it would just hit the head and stop.

alright then well I guess I am misinformed, even though the rods I saw before the engine build said p-72 on them. so whatever dude. believe what you wanna. i know straight up though that I am not lying. the GSR rods are the same length as the type R's, and everything has been doing fine, so before you call me a liar, check yourself cuz I have integrity.

gsr rods/crank are IDENTICAL to a type R's. (in size anyway)

however, a type R was never mentioned.

it was gsr vs LS.

and those, are not the same.

:werd: you said you were using GSR rods with a LS crank and you said that everything was fine in a b18 block. which is wrong. now if you are using the type r rods in that build you should have said so. and even still it would not work. if you have an LS crank, you have to use LS rods. if you dont you will put the piston through the head, thats even if it starts, like i said before.

wow i created a monster...sorry

well one more stupid question....when i use the ls crank and rods in the gsr block do i order gsr or ls main bearings or does it matter....thanks again

Originally posted by typesiracing@Feb 11 2004, 11:47 PM
wow i created a monster...sorry

well one more stupid question....when i use the ls crank and rods in the gsr block do i order gsr or ls main bearings or does it matter....thanks again

Ordering bearings isn't that simple...

Take a look at the markings on your crank, then match them up to the markings on the bottom of the block. There should be 5 letters (or numbers, I forget) on each. Cross reference those numbers in the chart from your handy dandy Helms manual, then you'll know which bearings to order.

Once you get the bearings from Honda, put them all in with some Plastigage and torque everything down. If you're really lucky, all the bearing to journal clearances will match up in the middle of the tolerance range for clearance according to your Helms. If any of the clearances are not in spec, order more bearings in a size that you think might fit... then repeat until everything specs up perfectly.

Have fun!

i under stand how to order them but when they ask me what car i'm ordering for what do i say.....in other words is there a difference between a yellow ls bearing and a yellow gsr bearing? i think they are the same but i'm not sure thats why i was asking.......thanks.

...and actually i get a discount from honda so would i be able to order for a b16 instead of ordering from acura

Oh...

The bearings should be the same- just ask for color codes for a B series engine.

Back