Hybrid swap?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Periculum

I know this may sound stupid to a lot of you who are into swapping for performance, but I my CRX is for pizza delivery and the higher the MPG, the more money I make.

I was just curious if anyone has every done a hybrid swap (the insight 1l?) into an older car, or if it was even possible, since there are surely plenty more systems in the newer car. Just curious, I think it would be awesome to have a 60 MPG CRX.

its not worth it, put a VX or Cx in it and try to be happy with the 40+ MPG.

Really, i'm not trying to be a dick, it would not be worth the money you'd spend.

Originally posted by Periculum@Mar 3 2005, 12:39 PM
I know this may sound stupid to a lot of you who are into swapping for performance, but I my CRX is for pizza delivery and the higher the MPG, the more money I make.

I was just curious if anyone has every done a hybrid swap (the insight 1l?) into an older car, or if it was even possible, since there are surely plenty more systems in the newer car. Just curious, I think it would be awesome to have a 60 MPG CRX.
[post=468801]Quoted post[/post]​

Don't bother... the labor and amount of electronics and other crap you would have to stuff into the CRX would end up costing you more than a used Insight. You can pick one up for about $8000-9000 these days.

If you want to save gas, drop in an HF transmission, then make sure you're running MPFI and tune with TurboEdit to get your air/fuel ratios up to 14.7:1 at partial throttle and cruise, and 13.5:1 at full throttle. That will help you save gas.

i dont think turbo edit will work with the insight system.

you can swap in a jdm obdII d15b vtec. it might cost a little much but from what i hear people have got around 55MPG with it; mainly because it uses a 3 stage vtec that incorporates VTEC-E.

Yeah, you won't be able to use TurboEdit with the Insight's ECU. I was saying that you could use TurboEdit to lean out and fine tune another non-OBD engine's ECU to get better mileage.

Originally posted by Calesta@Mar 4 2005, 07:43 PM
Yeah, you won't be able to use TurboEdit with the Insight's ECU. I was saying that you could use TurboEdit to lean out and fine tune another non-OBD engine's ECU to get better mileage.
[post=469454]Quoted post[/post]​

Did you get the whole obd0 TurboEdit idea form me? I distinctly remember talking about it with you a while back. Let me know if you have any experience with it, because I'll be attempting to use it as soon as I get my engine back together. Sorry for the threads jack. I'd go with a used Insight, personally, and use a small turbo to get a little more ball out of it when I wanted.

Originally posted by MikeBergy@Mar 5 2005, 01:21 AM
Did you get the whole obd0 TurboEdit idea form me? I distinctly remember talking about it with you a while back. Let me know if you have any experience with it, because I'll be attempting to use it as soon as I get my engine back together. Sorry for the threads jack. I'd go with a used Insight, personally, and use a small turbo to get a little more ball out of it when I wanted.
[post=469533]Quoted post[/post]​

I don't think it was from you. I've been researching DIY ECU tuning solutions for years... I may have talked to you about it, but I don't remember. You definitely didn't introduce me to it. :)

Originally posted by Calesta+Mar 5 2005, 05:11 PM-->
MikeBergy
@Mar 5 2005, 01:21 AM
[post=469533]Quoted post[/post]​

I don't think it was from you. I've been researching DIY ECU tuning solutions for years... I may have talked to you about it, but I don't remember. You definitely didn't introduce me to it. :)
[post=469672]Quoted post[/post]​

Well, you have Hondata, so :p . That also might be a decent way to get your mpg higher. Well tuned engines burn gas more efficiently, so I can see mpg going up with a good tune with Hondata's lower cost sytem. Probably 350 after tuning, and you'll get better hp/trq and high mpg.

:werd:

A more complete burn will give you more power to a certain extent, but maximum power in the real world does not equal the best fuel economy. I like my Hondata. :D

get an hf motor...it took my friend almost 2 weeks to fill his tank back up..and thats from actually hammering it from time to time.

Originally posted by CRXSI91@Mar 7 2005, 11:42 PM
get an hf motor...it took my friend almost 2 weeks to fill his tank back up..and thats from actually hammering it from time to time.
[post=470565]Quoted post[/post]​

giving an hf motor full throttle = teh unimpressive. Get a lawnmower engine.

I can tell you, its even less impressive with a blown clutch! :lol: *floors it, vrooooooooommmmmmmm* then realizes that only the tach is moving....the speed stays the same :ph34r:

Oh yeah, to contribute in a postitive way to this thread, yes, get an HF motor and put that in there. I got over 50mpg on the highway with mine.

Back