1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hybrid swap?

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by Periculum, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Periculum

Periculum Senior Member

I know this may sound stupid to a lot of you who are into swapping for performance, but I my CRX is for pizza delivery and the higher the MPG, the more money I make.

I was just curious if anyone has every done a hybrid swap (the insight 1l?) into an older car, or if it was even possible, since there are surely plenty more systems in the newer car. Just curious, I think it would be awesome to have a 60 MPG CRX.

2. 92civicb18b1

92civicb18b1 The Trisexual

its not worth it, put a VX or Cx in it and try to be happy with the 40+ MPG.

Really, i'm not trying to be a dick, it would not be worth the money you'd spend.

3. b204dr

b204dr Senior Member

bingo cx - unless swapping out into fuel injected from carbed no fun!

4. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Don't bother... the labor and amount of electronics and other crap you would have to stuff into the CRX would end up costing you more than a used Insight. You can pick one up for about $8000-9000 these days.

If you want to save gas, drop in an HF transmission, then make sure you're running MPFI and tune with TurboEdit to get your air/fuel ratios up to 14.7:1 at partial throttle and cruise, and 13.5:1 at full throttle. That will help you save gas.

5. Periculum

Periculum Senior Member

Im assuiming that Turbo edit is programming software for the civic?

6. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

i dont think turbo edit will work with the insight system.

you can swap in a jdm obdII d15b vtec. it might cost a little much but from what i hear people have got around 55MPG with it; mainly because it uses a 3 stage vtec that incorporates VTEC-E.

7. phunky.buddha

Yeah, you won't be able to use TurboEdit with the Insight's ECU. I was saying that you could use TurboEdit to lean out and fine tune another non-OBD engine's ECU to get better mileage.

8. MikeBergy

MikeBergy Blah blah blah....

Did you get the whole obd0 TurboEdit idea form me? I distinctly remember talking about it with you a while back. Let me know if you have any experience with it, because I'll be attempting to use it as soon as I get my engine back together. Sorry for the threads jack. I'd go with a used Insight, personally, and use a small turbo to get a little more ball out of it when I wanted.

9. phunky.buddha

I don't think it was from you. I've been researching DIY ECU tuning solutions for years... I may have talked to you about it, but I don't remember. You definitely didn't introduce me to it. :)

10. MikeBergy

Well, you have Hondata, so :p . That also might be a decent way to get your mpg higher. Well tuned engines burn gas more efficiently, so I can see mpg going up with a good tune with Hondata's lower cost sytem. Probably 350 after tuning, and you'll get better hp/trq and high mpg.

11. phunky.buddha

:werd:

A more complete burn will give you more power to a certain extent, but maximum power in the real world does not equal the best fuel economy. I like my Hondata. :D

12. CRXSI91

CRXSI91 Senior Member

get an hf motor...it took my friend almost 2 weeks to fill his tank back up..and thats from actually hammering it from time to time.

13. MikeBergy

giving an hf motor full throttle = teh unimpressive. Get a lawnmower engine.

14. Citizen_Insane

Citizen_Insane Senior Member

I can tell you, its even less impressive with a blown clutch! :lol: *floors it, vrooooooooommmmmmmm* then realizes that only the tach is moving....the speed stays the same :ph34r:

Oh yeah, to contribute in a postitive way to this thread, yes, get an HF motor and put that in there. I got over 50mpg on the highway with mine.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted