Hybridautomotive.com?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

seanjuan

Has anyone heard of hybridautomotive.com?
I found their site yesterday and it seems like it would be a good deal to get an engine from them
I'm looking for a B16A2 to put into my 92 civic LX. They advertise them for about $2150 plus shipping.

Does anyone know about these guys? are they legit?

they also offer an LSD upgrade for $300, I emailed them to find out if it's a real LSD or if they just weld the spider gears, haven't heard back yet.

I'm from Minneapolis, MN, so if anyone knows of a good place to get this motor locally please let me know

thanks
Sean

The prices are around the usual that you would pay. I have never heard of them. I would call them up and maybe speak to them a little, but i would also shop around as well. Also call around other "trusted" places that sell motors and if you can go with the SiR-G motor they are selling, i think you will enjoy the 1.8 over the 1.6 especially in your 4 door.

Milan

I've heard of them. They're in my neck of the woods. I believe he is a one man operation. His name is Jeff if I'm not mistaken. Not sure if they're legit because he doesn't or hasn't returned any of my e-mails (multiple) nor has he returned any of my calls. But that doesn't mean hybridautomative is not legit. Maybe since he is a one man operation, he gets too busy...Either way, I wouldn't deal with a company that doesn't get back to you in a timely manner but that's just me...

~joe

hmotorsonline.com

He runs a business, his business is to call you back since his business depends on you doing business with him. heheh. I would go with someone else, if he can't call you back just imagine if you have any problems down the road that you might have with the motor. Go with someone reliable and that has been in business for a little while. I was trying to see how many times I could type business...

Milan

Yeah, I have sent "jeff" a couple e-mails now and haven't heard back. I wouldn't think it would be difficult to at least send an e-mail that says "call me sometime for more info" I'd be happy with that. I checked out Hmotorsonline just now and they seem pretty decent. Hopefully they will return my e-mail. Anyone know about their LSD option? Also. Will I still be able to use my AC if I go with a 1.8 engine? I'm not going to be doing any racing with the car, just need a new engine for a daily driver that will make it more fun without having to buy a new car.

thanks guys
Sean

what's the difference between the S21 tranny and the S80 tranny? other than the fact that the s21 is on the b16a2 and the s80 is on the b18c. Is the gearing going to be closer on one of the two, etc?
thanks

theres this really cool thing it came out a little while before the internet... its called a PHONE....
just call.... who gives a fuck if its long distance.... you get to actually talk to the person who is selling you the engine.... you can get a feel for wether or not you want to trust them... you can get all of your questions answered quickly without waiting for emails... you will probly get a lot more info that you didnt even think to ask about.... interacting with real people is not a bad thing

Yep, I remember when the internet was only the lining in your swimsuit. I will be calling there today afterwork most likely. othewise tomorrow.
I did get an e-mail from Jeff at hybridautomotive.com today and it sounds like I might end up buying from him... of course I will make this decision for sure only after talking to him on the phone.

He said that the LSD is a factory Honda tranny and that he has a 4.785 final drive set and a 4th and 5th GSR gear set that he could install as well. the FD is 350 plus 150 to install and the gears are 95 (not sure how much extra to install the gears though)

Assuming I buy from him do you guys think it would be worth the extra $600 to do all the gearing changes? I'm pretty sure I'd do the LSD, but not sure about the gears.

thanks again for helping me out with this
I'm going to document the whole process with my digital camera and make a website for it when i'm done which will hopefully be during the week of the 4th of july (I just hope I won't be seeing fireworks in my garage.

Sean

Originally posted by seanjuan@Jun 16 2003, 02:23 PM
(I just hope I won't be seeing fireworks in my garage.

Sean

awww come on,I had 2 gross of pop bottle rockets go off in the front of my 88 cav while we were doing 55,best show I ever saw....smoke was a little heavy though :D

seriously though the LSD would be a BIG + and as for the gears I set up my granturismops2 civics/tegs and accords and think I get a fairly good feel for the gearing but it really depends what you want from the car if you are gonna custom select your ratios

hey, sorry I disapeared for a long time. Thanks for the input guys. I never thought of using gran turismo on the PS2 to evaluate gearing... ;) althought it is a pretty realistic game.

I think I"m going to pass on the gearing for now and use that money toward suspension because I think that is a little more important that having shorter gearing at this point.

I think I'm not going to go through Hybridautomotive.com. I've left a couple messages but haven't talked to the guy yet. He called me back once but I wasn't at home.

I found a place in NC called Japan Direct (www.usedengine.com) that is listed with the BBB and has the B16a2 with the LSD tranny for $2500 (only $50 more than hybridautomotive). I'm going to call them tonight when I get off work and talk to the guy that I have been e-mailing

have any of you that have bought used JDM engines ever had problems with burning oil or anything else?

thanks guys
this is a great forum
Sean

Back