hydraulic / cable clutch swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hasport makes a kit for the cable to hydro conversion, i think u can find it on ebay, and as far as how difficult, search and see it is something you can do yourself. honda tuning magazine has a article on the subject in this months issue..

well he could very well be doing a motor swap that doesnt exactly use a cable tranny.....

like for me, its alot easier to find used hydro trans then a cable trans..... kids around here blow them up way to damn fast and end up tossing the things away cus they dont know that they can be rebuilt lol

Also, hydro tranny's are going to be OBD1. If you want to run Hondata or any kind of engine management you need OBD1. You CAN convert B16A1 from OBD0 to OBD1 but it requires a new distributor, wiring harness, etc. If you're going to modify your engine to the point that it's going to need tuning, go hydraulic and consider LSD. If you just want a newer engine in your car with some more power and that's where it'll end, go cable and save the dough.

Also, hydro tranny's are going to be OBD1. If you want to run Hondata or any kind of engine management you need OBD1. You CAN convert B16A1 from OBD0 to OBD1 but it requires a new distributor, wiring harness, etc. If you're going to modify your engine to the point that it's going to need tuning, go hydraulic and consider LSD. If you just want a newer engine in your car with some more power and that's where it'll end, go cable and save the dough.

:bo: thats just too much. BAHAHHAHAHA

what does OBD0 and OBD1 have anything to do with a tranny being cable or hydro??? cus my lude has a hydro and its OBD0 lol.... i swear ppl make me laugh

lol you just made a "funny". You cannot rebuild a cable transmission to become hydraulic.

Yeah the tranny is still cable. That is the onle cable b series tranny that will accept newer hydro internals (gears, synchros, final drive). Search it and you will see.

WOW, ok for all you morons who don't know what I was talking about... I was trying to help him make his decision a different way. He wants to swap a hydraulic engine/tranny into a vehicle that is cable activated. A bunch of ppl posted what I thought were completely useless threads like "it's too much trouble" and "why would you want to" It's quite simple, and I'll try this again!!! You're right, it doesn't matter at all which OBD your tranny is. That wasn't my point if you had of read my post. MY point was that you should do your homework ahead of time so that you're not stuck with an engine you don't want later on. I'm in the same exact position. I'm looking for an engine for my CRX and I've discovered that where the B16A1's are much cheaper of an engine to buy, you can't run Hondata on OBD0. (which I want to, and maybe so does he, eventually) My point was If you're planning on modifying the engine to the point that you will need to tune it properly, you won't be able to. I've priced switching an OBD0 engine to OBD1 and it's much more worth it to just buy the B16A2.

I know I'm just a "junior member", but I hope that all you "experts" here can now understand that I'm just trying to help the kid out! But thanks the same for blasting me on my first post.

*Waaay too much arrogance on here*

WOW, ok for all you morons who don't know what I was talking about... I was trying to help him make his decision a different way. He wants to swap a hydraulic engine/tranny into a vehicle that is cable activated. A bunch of ppl posted what I thought were completely useless threads like "it's too much trouble" and "why would you want to" It's quite simple, and I'll try this again!!! You're right, it doesn't matter at all which OBD your tranny is. That wasn't my point if you had of read my post. MY point was that you should do your homework ahead of time so that you're not stuck with an engine you don't want later on. I'm in the same exact position. I'm looking for an engine for my CRX and I've discovered that where the B16A1's are much cheaper of an engine to buy, you can't run Hondata on OBD0. (which I want to, and maybe so does he, eventually) My point was If you're planning on modifying the engine to the point that you will need to tune it properly, you won't be able to. I've priced switching an OBD0 engine to OBD1 and it's much more worth it to just buy the B16A2.

you must have shit for brains, he is asking about a tranny which has nothing to do with obd or motors. Keep it on the right part of the car

hahaha, your a funny guy.

if you buy a b16a (obd0) and the cable tranny, yes its cheaper. BUT!!! you can convert that engine to obd1 very esily. (distributer, o2 sensor, ecu, and some wiring. i believe thats the main of it)
the tranny will still be a cable tranny. which has zero impact on being able to run obd anything.
there is nothing about the tranny that can limit what obd you choose to run with.

the question was being able to convert the car from cable to hydro. the answer is yes you can. but the cost and hassle of doing it isnt worth it.
you can convert the hydro tranny to cable, if you wish to use a newer transmission.
but once again, its not really worth it being as to how the kit to do that costs almost the same as buying a good cable transmission. and you end up with the same result.

So before you start implying arrogance on our part, got off of the goddamn soapbox and realize that your first post made you seem like a fucking rambling dumbass who had no clue what the fuck you were talking about. the tranny will have no effect on being able to use hondata. you still use your harness, not a new one, you just add to it. such as a conversion harness for the ecu and the distributer, check out rywire.com
then you just wire in the vtec and the new 02 sensor.
where in the hell did you get your info about the tranny having anything to do in this process.

so please.... buddy... dont say WE are the arrogant ones.

now, im off my soapbox.

hahaha, your a funny guy.

if you buy a b16a (obd0) and the cable tranny, yes its cheaper. BUT!!! you can convert that engine to obd1 very esily. (distributer, o2 sensor, ecu, and some wiring. i believe thats the main of it)
the tranny will still be a cable tranny. which has zero impact on being able to run obd anything.
there is nothing about the tranny that can limit what obd you choose to run with.

the question was being able to convert the car from cable to hydro. the answer is yes you can. but the cost and hassle of doing it isnt worth it.
you can convert the hydro tranny to cable, if you wish to use a newer transmission.
but once again, its not really worth it being as to how the kit to do that costs almost the same as buying a good cable transmission. and you end up with the same result.

So before you start implying arrogance on our part, got off of the goddamn soapbox and realize that your first post made you seem like a fucking rambling dumbass who had no clue what the fuck you were talking about. the tranny will have no effect on being able to use hondata. you still use your harness, not a new one, you just add to it. such as a conversion harness for the ecu and the distributer, check out rywire.com
then you just wire in the vtec and the new 02 sensor.
where in the hell did you get your info about the tranny having anything to do in this process.

so please.... buddy... dont say WE are the arrogant ones.

now, im off my soapbox.
:ditto:

Back