hydraulic or cable tranny b16's?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jookycola

ok, so guess i'm going to go with the b16a. sounds like a great engine, and the price is not to killer. but i see the later ones came with a hydraulic transmission. what are the pros and cons between the earlier cable style b16's and hydralic b16's. i would think the hydro tranny is the most reliable, but maybe the cable has trade offs that it does not. so therefore i have to ask, which one is better?

What kind of car? If your car had a cable tranny (any pre 92 teg or EF: crx, civic hatch before 92, sedan before 92), you want a fist gen B16a with cable tranny. If your car had a hydro tranny, thats what you want. Make sure you pick an engine with the OBD as your car.

yea, the pros or cons would be that they will work in your car with no problems or modifications... to the clutch engaging and disengaging sytem that is...

if you have a 92+ car your clutch pedal operates the internal mechanism in the tranny via hydraulic fluid, but prior to that it was strictly a mechanical cable operated system...

they sell conversion to put a hydro tranny in a cable car, or a cable tranny in a hydro car, but if you're just looking for a simple swap get the tranny that will mate seamlessly to your car...

both versions have LSD optional, and you will prob wanna fork over the extra money for that... LSD is nice, especially since a unit costs $$$ and even more $$$ if you need to take the tranny to a shop to have them crack it and install the LSD...

oh, I guess naming my transplant car would help, it's a 1990 ef civic LX sedan. I’m assuming it's cable. was not sure if the two trannies were interchangeable. I’m guessing also that the modifications to make a hydro work in a cable car would be more money and trouble than it's worth, so I guess you guys helped me even more narrow down my swap decision.

is the cable tranny any good?

yea, cable trannys are good

i prefer cable actually, cause i feel it provides for a better feel, but some people think you get the same feel either way... but i don't think its the same...
hydro tends to be a smoother clutch operation with less effort to push down the clutch too...

yea, a 1990 would be cable

if you really wanna figure out your prices and such check hasport.com

the modifications really aren;t that extreme, its just a device that accepts your clutch cable, and then when you press the clutch pedal the device operates as a hydro slave cylinder...

hasport.com has the mount kit you would be looking for...
they have a mount kit for b16 cable into 88-91 chassis, or the mount kit for hydro into 88-91 chassis, and that mount kit costs more but includes the device...

its always nice to get a newer motor for obvious reasons... but if you got hydro you're gonna need to get a diffrent ecu than what comes with your swap as well as converting the motor back to OBD0, so it would be much easier to get the OBD0 swap with cable trans, and OBD0 ecu

hmotorsonline.com sells the swap, i think they also have the mount kit at a reduced price if you buy the package... also sell the proper shift linkage for the B16 in your chassis...

hasport.com also has wiring conversion to simplify the swap...
not sure how good you are with electronics...
a member on here by the name of JKOBD, has a site JKOBD.COM that has wiring conversion harness etc, if you send them your stock harness they will make it pretty much plug and play to wire in the B16 and the DPFI to MPFI fuel injection that i;m pretty sure you will need...

PR3 and PW0 would be the OBD0 vtec ecu's, one of which should come with your swap...

there are also many many many places that do wiring conversion harnesses, so you can look around if the above refrenced site doesn;t strike you as a good deal...

there are also many other mount kit makers for your swap...
i know HCP is suspossed to be a knock off of hasport and as such is obviously cheaper... hasport has a damn good rep and their mounts are definately pretty... polished and what not...
place racing also makes mount kits...

don't know either website off hand but if you google for hcp engineering it will be a lot easier to find their site...

Back