Hydraulic tranny

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dman1100

What exactly is hydraulic in a hydraulic tranny? What makes it different from a cable tranny? Thanks for the help

its what goes from the clutch master cylinder (pedal isconnected to this) located on the firewall, then there is a hydrolic line that goes to the salve cylinder on the tranny. this then pushes the fork to push the throwout bearing, to release the clutch :)

Cable - cable connected to clutch pedal going to your tranny

Hydro - hydraulic type of press is used with fluids in order to use slave cylinder.

Milan

So, is hydro worth the extra $1000? Any performance diferences?

extra $1000?????? where did you come up with that

basicly use whatever the hell you have
if your car is setup for a cable tranny then get a cable tranny
if your car is setup for a hydro tranny then get a hydro tranny

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Sep 2 2003, 04:03 PM
extra $1000?????? where did you come up with that

basicly use whatever the hell you have
if your car is setup for a cable tranny then get a cable tranny
if your car is setup for a hydro tranny then get a hydro tranny

If you buy a B16a with cable tranny = @$1500
If you buy a B16a with hydro tranny = @$2500
$2500 - $1500 = @$1000

If my car is a 91 integra LS is it "set up" for hydro or cable? What if I drive a 5g civic and want to do a swap? Is the hydro worth the extra $1000?

:D

91 LS = cable tranny
5th gen civic = hydro tranny

and your not paying an extra $1000 because of the tranny
thats just the cost difference in of the engines
the SiR-2 is newer and most likely in better condition ($$) it has either OBD-1 or OBD-2 wiring so it will plug right in to a 5th or 6th gen civic ($$) it has more power ($$) there is more of a demand ($$) etc etc

if you want to compare prices on the tranny then you need to look at JUST the tranny

Yeah, I forget that you guys are the most literal fucks I have ever met. :lol:

The reason I ask is because EKFred and I were talking about the differences and I was wondering why the hydro is considered SO much better. I also was under the impression that the B16a and the SIR2 motor had the same power. 160?

Take EKFred for example. He has a 5th gen hatch he is putting a LS/VTEC in. The car is hydro, I guess (you told me that :p ), but he wants to buy a B16 tranny to mate up to the LS. So, assuming he COULD use either (hydro or cable), he would have to get whatever the LS was? Or can he buy a cable tranny if the LS was hydro? And if so, are there any performance differences between the two? (Faster shifting, different gears, stronger, better syncros, etc)

any B series tranny will bolt up to the block, where you'll run into trouble is the clutch pedal itself. i beleive there are conversion kits out there for this, but i really dont think its worth the hassle. i think hydro is better because it doesn't rely on a cable to engage and disengage the clutch. it uses the same method as brakes do. so your friend would want to get the tranny to match the car, hydro.

so there is nothing hydraulic about the tranny at all then. it just refers to the type of clutch engagement?

im not going to get into the gearing of each tranny .... if you want that go look it up in the reference section

what is "better" really depends what you want

several of the hydro B series trannys come stock with LSDs

and as far as the HP thing... the SiR-2 has 170hp

Originally posted by Dman1100@Sep 2 2003, 06:31 PM
so there is nothing hydraulic about the tranny at all then. it just refers to the type of clutch engagement?

exactly

Back