Hypermiling Thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I'll read more on that one,

And I think by lean burn car, they're referring to the 3 stage vtec. The first stage is called lean burn mode. Only 12 valves are functioning. Then around 2500 stage 2 kicks in and the other 4 valves start. It can be monitored with a scan gauge 2. I want one.

I am happy if my truck gets 17mpg.
When gas is 4.14 a gallon I do miss my crx.

lean burn actually refers to leaned out fuel maps in your ecu
similar to increasing fuel for boost, just opposite
there are certain areas of the map you can do this, and certain areas you dont want to mess with.

the silencer is the tube that the airbox connects to going through the wheelhouse, behind the fender. i was not refering to the chamber you pointed out in the picture.

by thinner tires i meant width of tread
less surface contact = less resistance
think of front drag car tires, but not so extreme

i stick with K&N drop in over any sort of aftermarket intake with a cone
i think i read somewhere at some time that it was just as efficient if not more so, something about surface area etc, but that could be entirely false.
i can vouch for the cold air eating more gas, anyone that watches mpg through out the year should notice the decrease when temps get colder and air is denser requiring more fuel

Last edited:
I get 40+ mpg out of my D15B if its all highway miles. Closer to 35 around town. I can make it get 25mpg though if I'm driving it like its a racecar. Had a long autocross day last year and that's what I averaged for it lol.

Yea, it's about what I was getting with my D15b7 but it has exponentially more power. Especially since my D15b7 never ran 100% so it was a night and day difference for me.

i can vouch for the cold air eating more gas, anyone that watches mpg through out the year should notice the decrease when temps get colder and air is denser requiring more fuel

Winter gas is also a different formula than summer gas north of the MasonDixon. I beleive E posted up an info post about this in the past. Basically winter has more stuff in it to aid combustion in colder weather which results in slightly less economy.

Back