hypothetical d series question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Tonyd0821

Banned
let me first start off by saying I am NOT considering this. The following (and any resulting answers is just to satisfy my own personal curiosity and to add some knowledge to my mind....)

Can anyone tell me roughly what it would take to get a ek or eg coupe coupled with the d16 motor down to low 14's n/a daily driver? Is it possible? Can you do it without removing the interior?

Just curious. Im pretty sure it is feasable, (not cost worthy im sure) but just what would it take to get you there n/a and still be a daily driver?

and please dont answer with "shoulda go "b" series" bullshit. This is about the potential of the d series engine n/a in a ek or eg coupe. I am not planning this, I am just strictly curious to the exact question I proposed...

1. Rip some weight (but still keep interior)
2. Sleeves, compression to ~11,12 (that means pistons, rods)
3. Race cam (your idle is going to suck)
4. Best intake manifold that you can buy, and no ITBs
5. Best header you can buy.
6. Best exhaust you can buy.
7. Hondata tuned.
8. PNP the head.

Should be 14.lowxx np, if not 13

There is an easier way that Calesta was talking to me about before I did my swap.

You run civic GX pistons in a d16z6 (the GX is the Natural gas version civic, NG must have high compression to actually make power) which will give you 12:1 compression, then get a good head package going, consider an LSD, tune that bitch so it does not blow up on you, and then you'll run pretty close to 14's

i had a buddy who had a DOHC ZC with a bull frog head pakage, and ecu, and he was putting down 14.4's 14.5's in a 89 DX hatchback, in an 88 Hf that might break into the 13's

Originally posted by HondaMoCo@Feb 16 2004, 01:02 AM
i had a buddy who had a DOHC ZC with a bull frog head pakage, and ecu, and he was putting down 14.4's 14.5's in a 89 DX hatchback, in an 88 Hf that might break into the 13's

i believe you on that one...

i miss my old ZC in my gutted 89 hatch :wub:

there is just something about beating a mustang in an all motor civic....

5th gen or 6th gen coupe down to low 14s all motor with full interior?

Sure... I don't see why not. The speeds I was trapping at the end of the quarter mile even after missing a gear both times would have put me at 14.0 flat- if those were the speeds I hit at the end of a perfect run. Without missing a gear and coasting for a second, I would have had more time to accelerate, and probably would have hit high 13s without any problems- and that was with a full interior and only 185whp.

This is what I would recommend- but it won't necessarily be cheap...

Take your D series VTEC block, drop in some DOHC ZC (PM7), 88-89 Integra (P29) or maybe the 98-00 GX pistons to get your compression up to 12.0:1 (D16Z6) or 12.6:1 (D16Y8); make sure they're thermal coated too. The thermal barrier coating that I'm getting from Swain Tech adds 0.003 in to the top of the piston, and in my B block that will raise my static compression by 0.12:1. The coating will ensure that more energy stays in the combustion chamber rather than losing it to conduction through the bottom of the piston, and you'll make more power too.

Port and polish the head, then add an aggressive grind cam like the Crower Stage 3. Make sure you have the valvetrain to match. Of course, make sure you have a good solid intake / header / exhaust combo. Tune it all with a Hondata at a good shop. I'll bet you could get 165whp or even higher out of a setup like that, and you can still idle well if you tune everything right.

Finally, you might want to drop in one of those super short final drives, like the 4.7 from SRR or whoever makes it... and an LSD if you can find one cheap. Even the Phantom Grip might be an option, if you can get someone to install it properly so it doesn't grenade on you like all the Honda-Tech guys who install them in their garages.

Get a traction bar setup and some good solid shocks and springs to combat wheel hop, then throw on sticky tires and practice launching. I wouldn't doubt it if you could hit very low 14s on a setup like this, maybe even less than that...

But why not just strap on a turbo? That's the quickest way to quick time slips on a D block. The all motor route is proven and reliable, but boosting will get you down the quarter mile fast and easy.

thanks Cal.

i knew it could be done, but just was wondering what was involved....kinda sorta "retrospective question" if you will.....my y8 was boosted until the motor blew. anyways, selling the civic soon ....just in a "what if I did...." kinda mode right now. :D

Oh I see...

The all motor build would have been more reliable, especially compared to boosting on stock internals with not so great tuning- but it would definitely be higher strung, especially if you changed the final drive out on the transmission.

Back