I AM GETTING CAMS!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

word

hey guys

i have a b16 in a 96 ek, so far only bolt ons: short ram intake, skunk2 intake manifold, straight exhaust, chipped p28.

I am buying a pair of cams right now, both of which are in my budget, I do not plan on putting them in after I buy springs, retainers, cam gears and a vafc.

my choices right now are:

I believe those are the Jun 3's or similar.
duration 236/304/248, lift of 11.0mm at the large vtec lobe.
makes power til 11,000-12,000

or :lol:

spoon cams.

now the first set is about only 100 bucks more expensive, I'd rather have more power. I always thought Spoon cams were for endurance races and not for the peak power? I am leaning a little more towards the first, please give me some inputs.

Now, will a stock b16 head be able to breath at 10000+ rpm or is a PnP needed? also how would a valve job along with the PnP help?

thanks!

yes i have but those 2 are my ONLY options for now, not because of money issues, i have my reasons.

if you ask me, which you shouldn't cuz i think all motor is stupid :p, i think you are going to over kill youself.

to properly support a stage 3 cam, you really want to have 11.5-12:1 compression also. Flowing in that much more air requires a tighter burn, and thus more fuel. when you are low compression you are going to flood it with air, and fuel, but the compression cycle simply won't be there to give it the power to combust like it should.

i dont think either cam suits your set up well at all.

i know what you are saying, but:

i am just building the head right now because i am unsure what my plans are for the block is yet, whether to get a sleeved ls or stay with the 1.6.

without building the block i doubt i will be going past 9000, and i know i'll be getting some rc injectors.

the first cam is overkill imo i know (over kill yourself? i am guessing overkill but maybe you meant kill myself), but I know no one thats got cams of such profile it makes me want to try it.

NA is stupid because it costs so much more for the power gain compared to turbo/super, but I prefer NA. Of course you'll stand by boost, because you have a 2.0 gsr-t . :worthy:

maybe with the money I can get a decent turbo manifold and a turbo, but i'm thinking na right now.

spoon cams don't suit my set up well, why's that? I thought the spoon cams are much milder, closer to the R cams.

thanks for your input tho

Doesn't really matter when is comes to N/A or F/I it's really a personal preference and of course the amount of $$$$. Of course you will always be able to make more HP with boost and it's easier to get it but I guess some people just swear vy N/A. I used to have a turbo ZC motor in my EF... I dropped a valve and blew the whole motor. Now I'm trying my hands at N/A set-up with a B series and see how I like it... if I don't I'll switch back to boost. But a bigger cam isn't always better.

what application is this for anyways? drag? road course? or just street? why are those 2 your only choices? there are many more better choices out there.

this is for a daily driver even though i only drive on the weekends, auto x and road course, there will be no drag racing. and since i'm used to driving no torque 1600cc motors i am just looking for some top end.

what are some better choices? i know the cam with 304 degrees duration is pretty crazy and it doesn't mean it's better, i got a little excited and got ahead of myself because i've never seen such cams, the erick's racing toda D's aren't even like that.

right now i am pushing 152hps@78xx right now from the b16 and i'd like to get to around 180-190 at a higher rpm, then maybe later a sleeved ls or bored gsr block.

What are your recommendations for cams? oh yea and what's wrong with the spoons? i'm getting them at the price of the R cams.

for those numbers you'll have to go higher compression, then start looking at more wild cams like pissedoffsol said.

RS MACHINES camshafts for the DOHC VTEC B series.
puts out 5-8HP more than the Jun3 and the SKunk2 stage2.

you can get it from us. exospeed.com

damn, exospeed. chill with the sales son. :) I have seen your name only for 20 minutes and feel like your selling cams for only two payments of 19.95. :)

For now I say skip the RSmachine cams since they haven't even been tested yet, I would go with the Jun 3's for your current build up and I want to say thta your motor won't last until next month reving out to 11k with your oem bottom.

Milan

Back