1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i beam rods ?

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by 97hatch, Dec 10, 2006.

1. 97hatch

97hatch ?

well im geting ready to build a b18b block with a vtec head. Im wanting to spray 100hp of N2O with 12.5-13.0:1. This setup will run on e85 so im cool on compresion and such. My question is just how much of this laughy gas can these rods take i have been told none 200hp 50hp 75hp and every thing else im looking at using probe rods as i have heard good things about them.

tell me what you think

2. reikoshea

reikoshea HS Troll...And Mod Moderator VIP

personally i think you are going to be running into a cylinder pressure issue. if you retard the timing enough you can probably pull off a 200hp shot (although by that time itll probably be around a 150ish shot). Id say to be on the safe side, dont go past 100 and then put it on the dyno and make sure youre not running overly lean.

3. 97hatch

97hatch ?

im not concerned about timing/tuning issues i have the aem/and the wideband and have been runing n2o for like 8 years now. Im just concerned about the rod strength i dont want to go to h beam rods unless i have to. Heck ive managed to pull off mid 11's with 175 on a stock b20 and it is still alive proper timing/fuel and doing things like radiusing the sharp corners of the head and pistins and runing the correct heat range of plug will help keep you going down the track evey time

my goal is to run 5.90-6.10 in the 1/8th so that i can compet aginst my friend and all his budies in true street with a 26x8.5 or smaller tire im going to be runing a 25.5x8x13 on bogarts hope the fit the new finders i made :rolleyes: and being 4cyl fwd i have to weigh in a 1900 and the v8 na cars are 2600 and the power adder cars are 2900. wish me luck

4. reikoshea

well you should be alright then. i didnt know how you were tuning your car, but if you are confident in your tuning ability, then a 200 shot would be fine. I didnt realize this was gonna be a track car. for some reason i thought this was gonna be a daily driven spray or something.

5. 97hatch

97hatch ?

daily driven spray :eek: have you ever driven a car on the street with a big shot lets just say its not safe

6. reikoshea

have you read half the posts on here about nitrous?

anyway, the only sprayed car ive ever driven was a Supercharged 02 Mustang GT. Scary shit even on an empty highway.

7. 97hatch

97hatch ?

lol yea i dont like the idea of spraying on the street

8. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

The Probe I beams will be fine. You're going to run into other issues before rod strength- they'll hold over 600whp with no problems. The mass reduction is nice too, trust me.

9. 97hatch

97hatch ?

well that is what i thought but every one told me that i couldnt use i beam rods with any thing but a na setup. Im going to have the block sleved i found a set of old open deck darton sleves new for $100 i want to kniff edge the crank and my pistons of choice are wiseco or je/srp, crower springs and retainers and toda spec-C cams o and buy the way i aquired a set if twm itbs for a cable ls swap that had 200k+ mi on it

10. reikoshea

nice grab on the itbs, lucky.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted