I bought a 92 civic hb cx

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

liljohn

I recently bought a another civic. It has a d15b swap I was told the motor was vtec but doesnt say it on the valve cover. yet on the head there is a place where the silenoid would be but they bolted a plate over the opening. any chance do you know if the head is vtec? I was also wondering how hard it would be to swap it back to vtec as far as wiring and what all I would need to do so

some vtec d series engines do not say vtec on the valve cover, and the d15b came in both vtec and non vtec.
I don't know about converting it tho, if it was originally vtec then I would assume you would need to run vtec wires and install a vtec unit (solenoid and pressure switch), also you would have to get an ecu to run the vtec, or a vtec controller to run the vtec. It's not just gonna work without something to tell it what to do.
vtec is 2 wires and a ground, there is information about it in the refrence section.

K thanks for the help I just wasnt sure about the engine its self cause I wasnt sure on how the engine would run without it. And what the perks would be. I started out with a 91 hb so this is all new to me

If you look in the back of the motor under the intake there will be a short pipe a little bigger around than a pencil, that is if it is a VTEC. If there isn't one there then it's not.Also, as for converting it if it's not. It's a waste of time and money. If you are gonna go through all that then you might as well do a bigger motor. Plus, as welfare said not all of them said it. The D15b VTEC is a good motor all in all. It is the same as the 1.6 so. Anyway, good luck.

Thanks

Thanks for the help man I appreciate it greatly. Wondering if you have any idea what kind of difference it would make it I did change it back to vtec

Well, if it's VTEC vs NON VTEC it's really simple. VTEC is much more efficient than non and you will have more torque as well as HP just from the factory. I love all Honda's but, there is nothing compared to the pull of a good strong VTEC or the sound when it opens up. Depending on the end result of what you are looking to get out of it will depend on whether to do it or not. Here is a good article about it. VTEC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia It will help you to decide whether to do it or not. If you have more ??????? just ask. I'll help if I can.

Back