I bought a Mirage R evolution today....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Airjockie

Watanabe Whore!!!
Rest In Peace
I bought a Mirage R evolution , 2009, red, the thing is fast, I can't wait to put on a turbo.....

...fins!

Hobie Kayaks - Mirage Revolution

:ph34r:

its fun and sweet...been wanting one for 2 years now.:cool:

bass fishing here I come.

I'll upload some when the wife gives me back the camera...she's uploading them too for her Mixi page.

36831_1324463604955_1631824313_806013_8375481_n.jpg

thats a nice ass kayak dude! fishing from a kayak is great! i love how stealthy it is, and being so low to the water with no sounds besides nature just makes fishing even better. also, with a kayak you can get into water that normal boats cannot. ponds and small lakes that have limited shore access are great because no one else can fish them but a kayaker. getting dragged around by a 4 or 5lb bass in a snall unfished lake is so fun.

i have a fishing kayak, but its nothing special... Ocean Kayak ScramblerXT. for what i use it for, it does the trick. i mostly use it for bass fishing, but occasionally inshore saltwater too. i have thought about upgrading, but its just not a priority since i dont kayak as much as i used to.

heres my kayak in the mangroves.
kayaksnook004.jpg

kayaksnook005.jpg

my brother has a scramblerXT as well, here they are on top of Xterra.

camping8-2010020.jpg

I went back to Derby after work this morning, and went to T C Bait shop, he had the tube and worm set-up, plus bought a new rod and reel...and other stuff...

It was beautiful, high tide, river was higher than I thought it would be, sunny, calm, and I wish I had someone there to just say how awesome it was.

Everything set up, went down stream, and trolled all the way down with sand worm on the tube, and a bass spinner on the other line, went past the sand place, and was in view of the other dock, then the wind started to pick up. So slowly turned around, pulled the lines in and set another worm on the hook, and started to troll again. 10 minutes later, I started to hear the reel buzzing...and waited for a solid buzz...because the rods are behind my back and cant watch them...and then it went solid.... heart attack time...

I swung around so fast...that I wanted this to be something I could be happy of for the amount of money I spent...and well...I'm not small, and I'm not large either...so the body weight shift, and I forgot I'm on a kayak...well..I dropped into the water like a lead weight on a piece of paper held over a ledge. Kayak flipped over.

I have an open water divers license, and I was planning on being a dive instructor 10 years ago, been diving since 1991, and I have also done water survival training for work....in a pool, and on the 22nd, I have to go to the dunker in Mystic for re-training... where they simulate a helicopter crash upside down in water and they flip you all day to see if you can get out of it...easy day of work, because you know someone is watching you at all times. Being in water doesn't scare me that much, but becoming disorientated immediately and in conditions not safe, and losing a few hundred dollars of stuff...does. Well...the instant shock of hitting water, then the thought of losing my new rod and real, and tube... and then the wind....= panic.

once I knew that I'm ok, and just got to get back on the kayak...I'll be fine.... easier said than done... first attempt...back in the water, second attempt couldn't do it with out knowing I was closer to shore, so I swam and pulled the kayak with me till I can touch the river bed. Finally back in the boat, and calmed down, but 2 fishing poles are now gone.... scanned the area...and saw them just barely floating...right next to each other... paddled over to them, snagged them, reeled in the lures...and the worm was gone...so it was a hit.... but I'm all wet, and still freaked out.

Wind is picking up...I'm still 2 miles down stream, tide is going out... crap! I grab the paddle...I try it, and I'm still so shaken from the excitement...that it was no good... I look at my legs...calmed them down faster than my arms...and I got peddling just like I was walking... movement...and then I just kept pushing into the wind, into the current, and into the tide... I'd say that if the kayak didn't have the pedal, I probably would've called 911 with my Iphone that I previously put into a Ziplock bag to come snag me.

One full week on the water, many lessons learned, and going shopping tomorrow to get items for future excursions... This is too fun to let a little dip get into the way.

When I got home...the wind is still kicking... and I looked at the map...2 miles down, 2 stressful miles back up the river... pedaling 4 miles, getting wet, learning from my mistakes, and going back out tomorrow at Collinsville... after a little shopping up there to get some damn fishing rod holders for the front of the boat...so I can see the hit, and don't have to lean back and to the side to grab the pole....

I am thinking about getting a Kayak, and the shop in Collinsville is having its annual sale on the 18th and 19th. I also want to get the bassyak conversion for a Kayak. Its a little trolling motor on it that you control with your feet.
Atleast you were able to get yourself out of it and got your poles back. That stuff can add up. I can see the farmington river from my bedroom window and I still haven't fished it yet this year.

if you got a spot we can put the revo in, I'm game. Once you try the Mirage pedals...you wont want the motor.

I'm like going at this like a kid in a candy store.... buying anything I want for it. Got a fish finder today to actually just tell me depth, since I had a few close encounters with shallow water and scraped the bottom of the boat.

I am looking at the Hobie Island Adventure.... I want that now after watching some sweet vids of an Aussie Guy catching tuna. If I can snag a tuna...bring it home, and have the wife make me up some sweet sushi...I'm all over it.

Kayak Fishing for Tuna - Bing Videos

First few mods....

2 front mounted Scotty pole holders, I just got the extenders and fish finder, so no pics of them yet. Got the turbo fins on, a sailing rudder, and other small odds and ends....

DSC04827.JPG

DSC04828.JPG

DSC04829.JPG

DSC04830.JPG

DSC04831.JPG

DSC04832.JPG

And there is a huge following for fishing kayak forums ...and a lot of them are in the CT area..:eek:

Thats a helluva setup youve got there.

Please tell me you at least tried to sit in it while it was on the stools.

stools are unsafe...but I've got a lot of hours sitting in it on water..

went on it again this morning, cold as hell...but fun. Time to look into wetsuits and booties. The passing of Ga-chan held up days from going out and getting away from life and the weather also hampered the quest to get away. I will definitely get another dog, as a puppy, and she will definitely learn to ride on the back of the kayak to enjoy a day or morning out on the water. I wish I would have know about dock dogs when Ga-chan was younger, she loved the damn water.

photo_6_.jpg

photo_7_.jpg

photo_8_.jpg

Back