I broke my teg :(

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

UnluckyOne

Hey guys i need some help... Today I was just driving my teg and I threw a rod through the block... Basically I am wondering what some of the popular swaps are for our cars... It's a 94 ls with 180k miles, 5 spd. I would really like to keep my transmission if possible, but what swaps do people do. I am losing my license prolly for a year shortly so I shouldn't have to worry about having downtime, but I also have a lot of payments to be making so cost effectiveness would be appreciated. uhmm basically I was wondering if anyone has done a b16 swap , what kind of quarter mile i could expect, (civics run high 14s right??) and if there is any reason why this swap would be stupid. Also what would be involved in just replacing the stock engine and then turbocharging it? I'm not looking for an all out drag monster just I nice street car that I can be proud of. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give.

just stick with the b18 or b20 and put your tranny and intake main on it the b20 has more tork so i would do that. or turbo a ls motor i wouldnt put in a b16a yea it has more hp but i think you will like the tork better you can also put a h22a in there but its not as common you would have to buy mounts ect ect,,so stick with a b series and you can use your stock tranny...stay away from the b series prelude motors there junk...

You can get a long block B18B for under 1000 bucks Hmotors online sells one for under 800 and the JDM LS motor has slightly higher compersion good for 5 hp over your USDM LS motor, all you need is the motor you could sell the dizzy, injectors as OEM replament parts on ebay, but check local gunk yards for one too. Then you could look to go turbo with that

If you get a B16 it will be point less to keep your tranny, the LS tranny sucks. If you get a diffrent motor change the tranny.

Just wondring you how did you blow it?

Stay away from the b16. I'd just find someone on Honda-tech or Team-Integra, and swap out the crank and rod you messed up. Or just get the crank inspected, and only replace if necessary. If you are going to swap anything into it, Get a gsr. A b20b/z would be nice, but it won't pass smog in Cali if that is where you are from.

Stay away from the b16. I'd just find someone on Honda-tech or Team-Integra, and swap out the crank and rod you messed up. Or just get the crank inspected, and only replace if necessary. If you are going to swap anything into it, Get a gsr. A b20b/z would be nice, but it won't pass smog in Cali if that is where you are from.
He threw a rod through the block. I say just get a b20b/z block and use the ls head. Not going to be a monster but there will be a decent power gain. Then you could turbo that.

go with another LS motor, but look into mating that witha b16 tranny.. :thumbsup:
LS + short gears= :driver: <--- you see the smile on his face.. :lol:

Okay, so if your really want to know the conclusion of what happnend here you go. I took off the two bolts from the cat and let it hang for near 3 days...I drove it from my house to 20 min away where i was going to sawzaw the cat off and clear it then have it welded back in. Only in 3 minutes of driving I was coming near the interstate where i maybe punched it a little. the oil light kicked on and i said oh well ill stop at next gas station and put moe into it. Before i knew it i heard a kerplunk and i turned it off right away i pushed it to a lot and got a ride back home. the next day i lifted the car to see damage and noticed metal shavings-which still could be the head gasket. Im not sure, today Ill be taking off the head to see if i damaged it, or to see if i really did even put a hole into it. But from the amount of oil that had been dropped I decided that I blew the motor.

Another test i did. Obviosly it was running really rough. I decided to see if any of my cylinders were not firing, i took off 1 and it acted the same way. Which isn't good. i did too the other three and it killed the car. I am on a very low budget-maybe even school loans...if so It looks like the viable option would be that b20 block. any other information I would need to do that would be appreciated. and since I would be taking the motor apart, i may as well spend the money to build it up right correct? can a couple of you guys recomend parts for a Drivable decent Turbo aplications needed to make it run for a while. such as parts? Tha'd be appreciated...ill get pics as soon as possible...thanks.

If i did b20 set up would the Ls tranny be okay, or would i have to change to get a noticable power gain? ive been going over sights and information...and i'm thinking that after i take the head apart and see that the head is okay, hopefully, i can just get a shortblock...if not, long block is way to go.

I don't know if you care about being legal, but a B20 block in an integra will NOT be legal from a visual smog inspection standpoint.

To try to answer some of your questions... Metal shavings will not likely be a headgasket. Most likely it's bits and pieces of main or rod bearings, because you said you heard a loud knocking. I doubt you put a hole in anything, but I guess anything is possible. A new or rebuilt bottom end is definitely on order.

You say you'll most likely be paying for this with school loans. Not the best idea, but, if it's all you have, then I guess that's the only way. Plus, they are low interest, so it's not as bad as putting it on a credit card.

My opinion. for what it's worth.
Get a Helms manual for your car. It's good to know what you are doing, and to have a book that knows when you do not.

Get a b18b block, out of a 94-99 integra ls. 96+ is preferable if you can get one for a decent price, as the obd2 oil pumps are all the same across the ls/gsr/type r trim level, so you'll have the advantage of having a good oil pump compared with earlier generation b18's.

Next - pull the pistons/rods out of the new block and get ARP rod bolts installed on the rods. Make sure the machine shop resized the big end so it is perfectly round.

Next - make sure the rod and main journal bearing clearances are good using plastigage. If needed, change out the bearings to bring them to spec.

Get the block honed per the specifications in the Helms manual. Install new OEM Honda rings on the pistons.

This will give you a nice cheap block capable of 300whp. I don't anticipate you spending more than $1k on the bottom end, including the purchase of it, if you buy wisely, and do a little searching around.

You can keep the head that is in your car, provided that it is still in good shape. A DIY turbo kit and engine management will set you back around another $1500, but you can run the stock head and head parts and stock everything until you want to spend the cash on a turbo kit, because it will be a basically stock engine.

Spend the money to get a shorter geared transmission. The ls transmission sucks, the end.

I was coursing through ways to pay for all of this, and it seems that everywhere I call/search, the Ls for any year runs around $800. It's not a bad price, but It's at least $200 more than this b20b I have found from Venus Motors. I found this place in California. My New Integra friend, just purchased a GSR/Type R transmission from them. The guy Ron, was very honest and very cheap.

The metal peices I found were infact from my block, and I found the hole right by my AC pump. Not very big, but at least 1/4 around. Im afraid because I ran w/o exhaust i built some pressure and F*d up a valve. I won't pull out any money through school loans till this winter, which leaves me time to work on the body, as it was bumped a little on the back bumper before I purchased. Would this place be interested in pics, as i progress through my car?

The only things it looks as if I'm going to do will be ARP Studs, Eagle Rods, Sleeves. Just to make it last a bit longer. I will eventually save up for...a different tranny, can you guys let me know the diff of B series trannies? But that wont be till at least this may or so. First thing is making sure I want to do the B20.

The B20 from all I hear and see is going to be Torquey motor. Since my bud told me that Torque X RPM Divided by 5250 equalls horse, This will be a better choice over a N/A B series motor. I choose N/A because I don't know if I can even afford a Decent running Turbo set up. So as of now, my mind is on the B20 unless you can really change my mind to shell out a couple of $ for the Ls...

I will get some pics of the car/motor and maybe uplaod a video to you tube to show you how it runs/leaks.

I'll add that I'm from Iowa, and There are no Rules/Regulations on Smog, and don't plan to take the car ourside of state, cept MO, in which they have no Smog rules either.

I'd research a little more on the b20 before you buy it. The b20a is out of an old prelude, and you definitely don't want that motor. As for the b20b and the jdm b20z, I've heard their sleeves are not well suited for any respectable amount of boost unless you have a really good tuner.

Here is exactly what I told you to get, in the for sale ads on honda-tech.
HondaMarketPlace.com: LSvtec block, GSR head, conversion kit

550 + shipping is much better than what you propose to buy. It has p30 piston in it, but if you are boosting, all you will need to do is swap them out for some pr4 pistons.

Back