i can't believe walmart

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Well, if you don't know what you're buying then why are you buying it? I'd save money and just go to Walmart. They've got the cheapest groceries, toys, furniture, just that you gotta watch what you buy make sure it ain't made in China.

I always try my very best to avoid products made in other countries because I believe they should be made here, it's just a damn way for our fucking corporations and businesses to keep their manufacturing costs down because of the greedy ass people they are in America. They'd never be happy making even a penny less on their product even tho they'd make PLENTY of money making it in America as well as provide the right people with jobs instead of a damn foreigner.

93, you are ranting about buying shit from other countries, and wanting the cheapest prices. thats like fat people complaining they are fat and being too lazy to work out. it makes no sense

things are cheap for us to buy here in the US because its made overseas where it can be manufactured cheaper. if everything was made here in the US, it would be too expensive for you to afford. then youd be bitching why things are so expensive.

things are cheap for us to buy here in the US because its made overseas where it can be manufactured cheaper. if everything was made here in the US, it would be too expensive for you to afford. then youd be bitching why things are so expensive.
it's the same thing as having the mexicans pick tomatos and lettuce. if you want to give those jobs to white people, welcome to a $10 box of strawberries and $15 salad.

ever see the movie, "a day without a mexican"? yea lol.

yes, some may be here illegally, yes it may such having to call tech support and barely being able to understand them, but its our way of life. business is all about making something cheap to make good profit. if businesses were as self-righteous as 93 is, and decided to manufacture everything in the US, would the business eat the higher manufacturing cost and cut their profits? fuck no. they would pass the cost onto you, the consumer, to keep their profits the same. im just saying have a little more respect for the kids in sweatshops in china, they are the reason you can afford your sneakers, food, etc.

...good God are there so many holes and things wrong with some of these arguments that its irritating to read.

It really is baffling to me how little most people understand general principles of the market. Jobs weren't outsourced in an attempt to bolster foreign relations and give foreigners jobs. Jobs are outsourced because due to lower standards of living, in foreign countries, wages are significantly reduced. This allows corporations to cut costs and increase profit margins or decrease overall price. Most of these outsourced jobs are in manufacturing industries that Americans deem beneath themselves and that foreigners job at the prospect of greater lives. How many Americans do you see that want to grow up and pick produce or other crops out in the fields? I know my parents and the parents of my friends, certainly did not raise their children to grow up and enter these lines of work. Fact is most of the outsourced work, save for the tech. outsourcing that happened in the 2000's, is grunt work that most Americans turned their noses up at or demanded higher wages. Funny enough, garbage men make decent livings here in the states because few people will accept those jobs. Look at plumbers and other "crappy" (pun intended) service industries that can charge absorbent fees to clean your pipes, detail your car, or clean your house.

You should be thanking foreigners that they jumped at the chance for these jobs because as soon as their standards of livings increase and higher wages are demanded, the increased cost will be passed onto the consumer. This is, of course, until manufacturers find another area of the world to produce their goods. China was the source of cheap labor but now when wages are under that of what the Chinese demand, work is passed off to Taiwan or India.

Basically the posts that started the debates on this page, were posted by someone that had absolutely zero understand of how the world actually works. There's plenty of reasons to dislike the Chinese or other foreign countries. However, as a capitalistic society, the fact that the Chinese are a plentiful source of cheap labor is not one of the reasons you should dislike the Chinese or other foreign nations.

Jobs went there because the consumer benefited and Americans were unwilling to perform those jobs. Californians pay the illegal Mexicans to pick the crops, because no 20-something American wants to bust their back, out in the fields all day.

***My post was intended to go under 93's and I didn't intend to type a book, but I got on the phone with the girlfriend and I couldn't help but rant at the ludicrousness of some of what is being said here.

Just as people like B seem to feel that it's unthinkable that THEY should have to do grunt work, ushers in the concept of lesser labor for lesser tasks.

It's something that we're all a part of. But I can tell you this now, recession or no recession argument, there is a changing landscape of economy in the US, and it's not going to go away. It's not going back to the 80s any quicker than it's going back to the 20s (A time that makes any time we have read about seem depressing). This is the new face of the economy, and it's going to involve work in ways that we never saw before.

It's going to make our disposable society (the REAL cause of lower cost / lower quality labor) go away and be substituted for the attitudes of our younger grandparents (OR maybe your great-grandparents, you children) Where they took care of their few things because there was NO replacement for it. They wouldn't ever think of throwing away things like shoes, knives, tools, boxes, dishes - all of these things were pretty hard to come by.

And when we're paying $20 for a lemon, I'm sure kids will eat their fuckin dinner.

Well, if you don't know what you're buying then why are you buying it?
Did you really think about how stupid that comment was before you typed it? Aahhh , wait, aren't you like 17 or something? That would explain the fact that you make it seem like you know everything in the fucking world, because you do, because you are a teenager.

So you are really saying that every time you have walked into a store, you knew exactly what product you wanted and why? Are you also saying that you have never wondered if someone more knowledgeable than you might be able to suggest a better product for you?

Just as people like B seem to feel that it's unthinkable that THEY should have to do grunt work, ushers in the concept of lesser labor for lesser tasks.

It's something that we're all a part of. But I can tell you this now, recession or no recession argument, there is a changing landscape of economy in the US, and it's not going to go away. It's not going back to the 80s any quicker than it's going back to the 20s (A time that makes any time we have read about seem depressing). This is the new face of the economy, and it's going to involve work in ways that we never saw before.

It's going to make our disposable society (the REAL cause of lower cost / lower quality labor) go away and be substituted for the attitudes of our younger grandparents (OR maybe your great-grandparents, you children) Where they took care of their few things because there was NO replacement for it. They wouldn't ever think of throwing away things like shoes, knives, tools, boxes, dishes - all of these things were pretty hard to come by.

And when we're paying $20 for a lemon, I'm sure kids will eat their fuckin dinner.
werd. I agree with that 100%. Honestly, even though money sucks right now, I am a little satisfied inside that this is happening. The American way for the past few decades is embarrassing. We are so fucking wasteful and greedy.

My gf actually did a report on GMO food, genetically modified foods, for school a few months ago. In her research she learned some interesting stuff. I can't remember the exact statistic, but one thing I found disturbing is that the U.S. has/produces enough excess food to make a huge impact on, if not totally eradicate, many of the famines that are happening in other parts of the world. In the end, the reason we do nothing is $$, of course. I could go into more detail, but this would turn into a novel.

Just as people like B seem to feel that it's unthinkable that THEY should have to do grunt work, ushers in the concept of lesser labor for lesser tasks..

why do you always go back to shit like that?

I don't do grunt work because frankly i suck at it. it took me 3 hours to hang new blinds in my bedroom. 3 fucking hours. i would never be profitable for any company.

i could never do shit like that for a living.... just like along the same lines there's plenty of people who work construction or something that can't fathom sitting at a desk all day.

everyone's different... and everyone's good at something.

You're appearently only good at cutting into me constantly and getting fired from every job you've ever had.

i could never do shit like that for a living.... just like along the same lines there's plenty of people who work construction or something that can't fathom sitting at a desk all day.

You're appearently only good at cutting into me constantly and getting fired from every job you've ever had.
first, wow. b, unleashes.

i had this convo with marsha last night. right next to my building is a new construction of a pair of 42 story condos. I was telling her about a guy whos job is to use a handheld jackhammer and cut down the concrete around the rebar foundation then use a welder gun thingy to cut the excess rebar. all i could think is, "man, his job fucking sucks. sitting on the cold ground, in the rain with a jackhammer." on the same note, marsha reminded me he probably thinks, "man wearing a fucking tie, inside all day, talking on the phone, his job fucking sucks.". it's different stuff for different people.
he's in rare form today

too much angry music :)
i guess so...

i had this convo with marsha last night. right next to my building is a new construction of a pair of 42 story condos. I was telling her about a guy whos job is to use a handheld jackhammer and cut down the concrete around the rebar foundation then use a welder gun thingy to cut the excess rebar. all i could think is, "man, his job fucking sucks. sitting on the cold ground, in the rain with a jackhammer." on the same note, marsha reminded me he probably thinks, "man wearing a fucking tie, inside all day, talking on the phone, his job fucking sucks.". it's different stuff for different people.

just like office space..... lawrence

fuckin A man, fuckin A.

Lol. B was on fire today. He came into the risk game practically yelling and screaming.\

Did you ever tell the AOL idiots to fuck off?

If grunt work paid well I would be all about it.

I will never make E6 in the navy because I do not kiss ass. Further more I will never make E7 for the same reason. I'm not gonna write a tirade on rank in the navy though that would require a seperate (and likely boring) rant. I hate office politics and generally office people.

My favorite job was as a waiter in boston. I loved the barely controlled chaos; hovering moments above total collapse on a friday rush. In the biz we call this being in the weeds. I hate the idea of an open kitchen cause that is where you go to swear about the customers, but again i am risking another rant.

Trouble was living by tips. Some weeks I could make $1000 bucks, some months I could make $200. Being a waiter in a restaraunt at the base of a tower on 912 was not a booming buisness... If only it was stable.

Restaurant people are not though. Man what a bunch of nut jobs...

And if that is coming from me it means something...

Back