I Can't Drive Worth Crap,

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

uconn1150

Specs: JDM B16a with LSD 5 spd hydro tranny

ok,

Awhile back everyone was talking about if/when they shifted gears while just cruising around town. Some ppl shifted after VTEC, others like at 4K. I've been trying to find shift points, but have failed.

I'm not looking for shift points in the 1/4, (although they would be good to have someday).

It just feels weird on the freeway doing 75 in 5th doing around 4100K, then if I want to punch it, well...it doesn't really go...but, if I downshift...Kazaammmm....

So am I just stuck to putter around in 4th until I'm doing 85 somewhere...

It's just weird having a 7800 redline...what is the optimal rpm for this engine...5K-6K?

Thanks for helping this newb! :ph34r:

Oh yeah, I'm still on 13" steelies til I get some Rotas from Santa...

drive where ever the hell your comfortable driving .... if you want to race and have power keep your RPMs high ... if you want decent gas milage keep the RPMs lower.... if something requiring more power comes up then down shift

is this really that hard to figure out??????

most of the time i drive around town (40-50mph or so) in 5th gear

if im just driving around ill shift under 5k... if im racing or driving hard i shift at 8000-8500 (redline is 8500)

shift where ever the hell you feel like shifting

If I had a 5 speed and was just tooling around I wouldnt shift at any Rpm above 2K. If I were hard driving or racing, REDLINE baby. But I got an automatic and it does all that for me. LOL

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Nov 22 2003, 11:47 AM
drive where ever the hell your comfortable driving .... if you want to race and have power keep your RPMs high ... if you want decent gas milage keep the RPMs lower.... if something requiring more power comes up then down shift

if im just driving around ill shift under 5k... if im racing or driving hard i shift at 8000-8500 (redline is 8500)

Well, I do agree, but it just seems like the engine is lugging in 5th...in 5th @60, its like only 3500 and just feels weird.

Weird.

In my POS d16z6, I shift at about 3k at most, and I get up to speed just fine.

I usually have it in 5th by 40mph, and its fine, to get to 60 fromthere, just more gas, and it gets up there just dandy.

It shouldn't be lugging though, I mean, I can pass people in 5th gear at 3k rpms in my pos old si.

Originally posted by uconn1150+Nov 22 2003, 02:07 PM-->
@Nov 22 2003, 11:47 AM

Well, I do agree, but it just seems like the engine is lugging in 5th...in 5th @60, its like only 3500 and just feels weird.

Somethings wrong with your car. My car can go into 5th at 35 if I am on flat land or going down hill no problem. I can start off in second, even going up hill if I wanted.

+1. 2500-3000 RPM is generally my shift point for mild city acceleration. I generally cruise at about 2000 RPM.

our motors, stock = torqueless... turbo or build. ;)

Originally posted by 199IntegraBuildUpH22A3@Nov 22 2003, 01:55 PM
If I had a 5 speed and was just tooling around I wouldnt shift at any Rpm above 2K. If I were hard driving or racing, REDLINE baby. But I got an automatic and it does all that for me. LOL

thats like the idle engine speed almost, with an 8500 rpm redline youre gonna go nowhere fast shifting before 2 grand.

with that said....

how long have you been driving manual. if its been for any length of time youd know just to shift when you need to shift, maybe someone needs to disconnect your tach. driving tachless in my stock dx taught me alot. personally, depending on my mood, i shift around 4 or 5k on the streets. and the 5th gear deal, somethings defanitley wrong, im really impressed with my 5th gear power < yes, i have the same motor as you >.

as for the track, max powers at 7800, redlines at 8500, pick a spot in the middle.

maybe 8200?

i have a d15 and i shift at about 7k all day long, even just to go to the corner store. (i need an excuse to get a new engine w/o the g/f chopping my penis off) but i enjoy it who the hell shifts at 2k anyway? at least i know my car would probably just stall shifting that low, plus its no fun. i got a cheap little civic just so i could beat the hell out of it! actually ill probably just try to kill my b-series when i put it in also, so forget i even posted! lol

the two times I drove my civic with the tachless d15, I beat the living shit out of it. And I had to drive 500 miles the first time, and 5 gear pulled nicely even in that. Now even though I haven't really taken the LS swap very far, normal driving around 4500 and when I'm just in that mood (alot of times) redline baby.

in the accord for cruising i used to shift 2500-3000, got me up to speed decently fast
in the eclipse...it gets angry under 2000 rpm for some reason, but then again max torque is at ~3200 i think lol

Originally posted by toyarmy+Nov 23 2003, 12:00 PM-->
199IntegraBuildUpH22A3
@Nov 22 2003, 01:55 PM

thats like the idle engine speed almost, with an 8500 rpm redline youre gonna go nowhere fast shifting before 2 grand.

with that said....

how long have you been driving manual. if its been for any length of time youd know just to shift when you need to shift, maybe someone needs to disconnect your tach. driving tachless in my stock dx taught me alot. personally, depending on my mood, i shift around 4 or 5k on the streets. and the 5th gear deal, somethings defanitley wrong, im really impressed with my 5th gear power < yes, i have the same motor as you >.

as for the track, max powers at 7800, redlines at 8500, pick a spot in the middle.

maybe 8200?

Im gonna have to agree, i have the same motor with the ls tranny, from 60mph in 5th gear, im still able to pass people just fine with a little bit of power (its not like power in first at 6500 rpms but it pulls ok)......

as far as shifting, i shift at about 3k when putting around, when im racing i push it all the way up right before the rev lim (7800 w/ the auto ecu)

Originally posted by uconn1150+Nov 22 2003, 02:07 PM-->
@Nov 22 2003, 11:47 AM

I shift the same way E does. I also granny shift around town to save on gas. Just learn where the power curve in your car is. If you need more power, downshift. On the highway, there's no need to race around the other cars, just stay mellow. 5th gear is fine for steady consistant driving. Also the police like to tag aggressively driving speeders. Remember, the highway is not a NASCAR track.

5th gear, 75 and 4100 rpms? WTF? do you have a ITR tranny with a 6.00 fd in it or something? ( or is this normal rpm)

running your engine at low speeds while in a top gear pulling a slight incline, goin against a strong wind or hauling around a car full of people can cause damage to your rod/main bearings. you never want to drive the car where when you step on the gas it is sluggish for a few (3-4) seconds. the engine will be happiest when power is 1 second away.

when i drive on city streets i never take it out of 3rd, even if i am doin 70-80 mph in a 45. when im on the freeway, it is usually stuck in 4th while driving at 75-85mph. if someone wants to run, my power is quick on supply so i dont have to worry bout throwin it down a gear.

i drive a happily tuned b16 with 11:1 compression.

Back