I cant stand...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I go to chilis and order a $9 dollar burger and leave $5 tip...you do the math

If the service was good or if they're busy and I'd leave a 9 dollar tip for that. Going to a sit down restaurant like that and getting a cheap bill like that means an awesome tip from me. Hell my bill was 11 bucks and Buffalo wild wings once and I tipped her 11 bucks.

I love tipping extremely well and making someones day.

The five dollar tip min. rule is good and all but I tip based on service. If my server sucks ass you get a dime, and that's no joke. I make a point of leaving some weak ass tip to get my point across that their service sucked ass. Now if service is good I will generally tip 20 percent.

The five dollar tip min. rule is good and all but I tip based on service. If my server sucks ass you get a dime, and that's no joke. I make a point of leaving some weak ass tip to get my point across that their service sucked ass. Now if service is good I will generally tip 20 percent.

:concur:

call me mr. pink.

3235707_gal.jpg

I hate the fact that i'm obligated to tip. I really do. But more so, I hate the fact that restaurants use tips as a way to shaft employees. I already pay 10% sales tax, then to need to pay another 20% tip? get fucking real.

things i pay for: food quality, atmosphere, comfort, and all around experience. I really feel that should be included of the price of the meal. if i'm at applebees and do the 2 for $20 combo, drink it with 1 beer and my girl gets water, should i be obligated to pay another 25% for a simple meal and beer? i'm not hard work. i'm there for 30 minutes or less depending on food wait time.

and it's not just food. nail salons, massages, hair cuts. it's all bullshit.

My point: i would rather pay a higher price for the meal than be required to tip.

i'll add that i hate the fact the i have to pay a tip to bartenders for popping the top off my beer bottle or mixing my drink. i'll tip to get topped off on a mixed drink, but it irks me that to get good service, you have to fork out the cash. you can't get good service just because you are a customer.

Last edited:
You should probably never go to a restaurant where someone waits on you then. Make food yourself or eat fast food all the time.

or maybe i should just pay for my food like it is any other product and not tip. same as buying a tv or car right? <insert sarcasm>

do you pay the girl working at a retail store to bring a medium t-shirt out from the back because they don't have your size on the floor?

you REALLY missed the point of what i was trying to say.

The girl at the retail store is making a decent hourly wage. Servers and bartenders make $2.13 an hour BECAUSE they get tipped. You tip them because they are not getting it in their paycheck.

The girl at the retail store is making a decent hourly wage. Servers and bartenders make $2.13 an hour BECAUSE they get tipped. You tip them because they are not getting it in their paycheck.
Exactly, the customer is being scammed by the resaraunt owner with the employees pay on the line. If the customer only pays for what they get, the employee gets the shaft. If the customer is duped by protocol, they get scammed into paying the employee's wages for the employer on top of buying his product.

That's just one perspective on it. You could argue that the cost of service isn't added to the price of the food, so you have control over how much you pay for service. Doing away with tipping would make the food more expensive and there would be less incentive to provide good service.

Two sides of the coin.

or maybe i should just pay for my food like it is any other product and not tip. same as buying a tv or car right? <insert sarcasm>

do you pay the girl working at a retail store to bring a medium t-shirt out from the back because they don't have your size on the floor?

I'm a pretty common size, so I've never had to make someone wait on me hand and foot. In fact, I've never assumed someone at a clothing store was going to wait on me like I do when I go to a restaurant. I got your point, it was that you're cheap and you don't care about stiffing people because you hate the system, even though the people aren't the reason for the system.

You know I never understood why groccery baggers do not get tipped when they take stuff out to peoples car for them. I would push a cart with two hundered dollars worth of goods through an icey parkinglot some times on the other side of the lot with no jaket on and load it all into someones car and not even get a thank you.

You know I never understood why groccery baggers do not get tipped when they take stuff out to peoples car for them. I would push a cart with two hundered dollars worth of goods through an icey parkinglot some times on the other side of the lot with no jaket on and load it all into someones car and not even get a thank you.
That's because your services were included in your (minimum) wage. :roll:

yep, and i stated that in my post. it's a fucked up system, but it is what it is. the restaurant can sell the same meal for the same price and still pay the employees more.

Doing away with tipping would make the food more expensive and there would be less incentive to provide good service..
higher pay GENERALLY leads to better employees. better employees equals better service. employees should do their job well because that is what they are paid to do. in a perfect world, it would be easier to fire people for being a pile of dog shit.

I pay a premium over goods when i go to a nice steakhouse. no way in hell a nice meal should cost $90/plate. that extra money goes into the cooking, service, etc. then to pay a tip on top of already getting what you pay $90/plate for. i have friends in the industry and some employees at local steakhouses clear $80,000+.

I got your point, it was that you're cheap and you don't care about stiffing people because you hate the system, even though the people aren't the reason for the system.

My point: i would rather pay a higher price for the meal than be required to tip.

I even put it in fucking red type so nobody would misunderstand what i'm trying to say. How is that being cheap and stiffing people? i NEVER said i don't tip. I said i hate the system.

if a steak costs me $25 for the plate and the employee gets paid $5/hr, let me pay $30 and give the waiter the $5. just have prices be higher. hell, lets say they work 3 tables an hour, which is very few tables. that is $20/hour just to wait tables.

how would you feel about making $20/hour? probably pretty good huh?

they do at AAFES ^_^

I read it, I got it. You're so against tipping, but instead of just tipping and logically saying "hey I'm just paying more for the food I just ate", you're bitching about tipping.

I made 5.15 an hour 5 years ago delivering pizzas. One run I'd get a 3 dollar tip + 75 cents, the next all I'd come away with is the 75 cents I got for the run. Depending on the distance, that 75 cents was just to cover gas (and it was over 2 bucks at the time still).

Edit, I forgot the point I was trying to make... stupid lack of sleep...

Some nights after doing the math, I'd make upwards of 15-25 dollars an hour after I cashed out. Others I'd make around 7ish.

Just tip and make someones day.

Last edited:
I read it, I got it. You're so against tipping, but instead of just tipping and logically saying "hey I'm just paying more for the food I just ate", you're bitching about tipping.

I made 5.15 an hour 5 years ago delivering pizzas. One run I'd get a 3 dollar tip + 75 cents, the next all I'd come away with is the 75 cents I got for the run. Depending on the distance, that 75 cents was just to cover gas (and it was over 2 bucks at the time still).

Just tip and make someones day.

so you're telling me that you wouldn't have enjoyed the job more if you got a flat $11/hour?

I didn't care what I made there, except in tips. I absolutely LOVED that damn job. Even at min wage...

I had awesome managers, I drove MY car and listened to MY music.

If I could go back and do it, I'd not have quit the day before they closed the store and gone up to Leo. (long story short, they were closing the store on a Sunday that I had off for a grad party and didn't bother to tell anyone. I found out the wednesday before and went in and said fuck you for not telling us, I quit that Friday).

Yes, you do. Tipping is just what gracious people do. If tipping bothers you, do not engage in any service where tipping is customary. Don't go to bars or restaurants, don't hire limos or taxis...Like you said, either way you are paying for it so what is the difference?

If you spend 45 mins at a table in a restaurant and the bill is $30, you should be tipping about $7. If the restaurant did not require a tip but instead added labor to the cost of food @ $10.00 an hour (which is roughly what a server in an Applebee's averages per hour), then you pay an extra $7.50 anyway. It's all in your head.

Exactly, the customer is being scammed by the restaurant owner with the employees pay on the line. If the customer only pays for what they get, the employee gets the shaft. If the customer is duped by protocol, they get scammed into paying the employee's wages for the employer on top of buying his product.

Either you pay it directly to the server or you pay it to the restaurant and they pay the server...in which case they pay oodles of payroll taxes and associated administrative costs, driving up the price of your food. Tipping satisfies everyone's needs.

The waitresses get the pay that they want/deserve, and the customers pay $7.99 for a nice burger with fries and the ambiance that they like, all with everything carried to the table. If labor and related overhead were added, your burger would be $25.

That's just one perspective on it. You could argue that the cost of service isn't added to the price of the food, so you have control over how much you pay for service. Doing away with tipping would make the food more expensive and there would be less incentive to provide good service.
Two sides of the coin.
This is so true. The tip system is indeed a powerful incentive to provide good service. Great point!

higher pay GENERALLY leads to better employees.

Unfortunately higher pay doesn't even generally lead to better employees. It leads to nothing. There are numerous studies and surveys showing that pay has little to no positive correlation to performance.

I pay a premium over goods when i go to a nice steakhouse. no way in hell a nice meal should cost $90/plate. that extra money goes into the cooking, service, etc. then to pay a tip on top of already getting what you pay $90/plate for. i have friends in the industry and some employees at local steakhouses clear $80,000+.
Someone published a book a few years ago detailing how many people break $100k as servers. Good stuff!

Yes, you do. Tipping is just what gracious people do. If tipping bothers you, do not engage in any service where tipping is customary. Don't go to bars or restaurants, don't hire limos or taxis...Like you said, either way you are paying for it so what is the difference?

because i shouldn't be forced to pay extra for an item simply to have it delivered to me. i already said that i would be happy to pay a flat rate for solid service. does a taxi driver DESERVE extra money for doing his job? not really. Does a bartender DESERVE an extra dollar for using a bottle opener to pop the top? no. but society feels inclined to tip because they get fucked on wages.

i say end the tipping battle and just pay the people a better hourly wage.

If you spend 45 mins at a table in a restaurant and the bill is $30, you should be tipping about $7. If the restaurant did not require a tip but instead added labor to the cost of food @ $10.00 an hour (which is roughly what a server in an Applebee's averages per hour), then you pay an extra $7.50 anyway. It's all in your head.

then add a solid service charge. concerts and airlines do it. it's fucked up, but it happens. i have to pay an extra $20 "service charge" just to buy a concert ticket through ticketmaster. the fuckers already make money, they are just being greedy now.

Tipping satisfies everyone's needs.

No, it only satisfies the needs of the restaurant. The server gets fucked with shitty wages. The customer gets fucked because they have an extra 20% added to the bill just to have the food delivered. Can i skip the tip if i go back and pick it up myself?

The waitresses get the pay that they want/deserve, and the customers pay $7.99 for a nice burger with fries and the ambiance that they like, all with everything carried to the table. If labor and related overhead were added, your burger would be $25.

more like $15, but i would be happy to pay it.

This is so true. The tip system is indeed a powerful incentive to provide good service. Great point!

Thats fucking horse shit. Some of the best service I have ever had wasn't tip based, nor commission based. however, the WORST service i have ever had WAS tip based.

Unfortunately higher pay doesn't even generally lead to better employees. It leads to nothing. There are numerous studies and surveys showing that pay has little to no positive correlation to performance.

Show me. I call bullshit. and even if there are studies, then thats the problem of the hiring manager. Everybody knows that you get better employees the more you pay. look at large CEO's, they get paid more because it's competitive. Steakhouses pay higher salaries because they want better servers, not just little Molly from the local high school.

Have you ever been a server? I work hard and it's reflected in my tips. The people standing around on their phones or out back smoking wonder why I always make more than them. The idea of more money motivates some people. Those are the people that make the best servers.

If everyone got paid the same, I would be on my cell and out back smoking too. If they are getting paid the same as me, why should I do the extra work?

Back