I can't stop! (wondering about my SS brake lines)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Capt. Orygun

Win the Day
so I bout my SS lines, I just got some Stop tech, they're SS hydraulic lines, you can't fuck that up

this is what I bought

StopTech Stainless Steel Brake Lines: buybrakes.com for the front and

StopTech Stainless Steel Brake Lines: buybrakes.com for the rears

the application guide says R32,R33,S14,300ZX-All for the front and 240SX 89-98 for the rears so I HAVE to have ordered the right shit (R33 front calipers and stock rear calipers). So a question for you who've done this

here's the caliper

claiper.jpg

and here's the front brake line

frontline.jpg

specifically here's the fitting

connectorF.jpg

how does that mate to the caliper?

now the rear lines (which are much to short to go in the front) came with a fluid bolt and line

fluidbolt.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c174/Silverchild79/fluidbolt.jpg

fluidboltline.jpg

which look like a much better fit but after examining the OEM lines these are way to short to be the fronts.

can someone enlighten me? I would think after 6 years of working with these lines on aircraft there would be no curve balls left...

cant view the pics from here at work
i will take another look when i get home and get back to you

they sent me the wrong ones for my bosess tl. too and the fitting broke and they would not pay for the fix the just sent the right ones after i complained
DONT INSTALL until you talk to matt at stop tech

DONT INSTALL

thank for the doomsday warning formby, who should I say told me to call (IE your name dood)

anyways for anyone trying to help me here's some more pics

The calipers came from Ebay, the seller had great ranking and he said they were R33, they do look slightly different then the 300Z

caliper2.jpg

Here's the back of the caliper, there is a screw in bolt that looks to retian a small metal tube which serves as a line

backofclaiper.jpg

Here's the front line kit, The "bulkhead fittings" are on either side of the line rather then just one, I'm not exactly sure how that's supposed to adapt to the claiper, and I'm an Aerospace Hydraulic craftsman lol. Those 2ea metal fitting you see in the middle are solid and slide across the surface of the line, I'm guess those with the brass reatining clips hold the line in place?

frontlines.jpg

looking inside the bulkheads on one side the the interior surface is Male/Male on one end

insidecouplingsideoneMM.jpg

And Male/Female on the other

insidecouplingtwoMF.jpg

After a brake line inspection on my stock system the rear line kit looks like a perfect match, length, fittings, everything, although I'm still not sold on using a brass O ring for a fluid seal :huh:

rearlines.jpg

So that's as good as I can explain it

Thanks in advance

im sure you'll be fine with the o-rings... thats what alot of calipers use. all my hondas and mirages had that same type of fitting on the front calipers. its called a banjo fitting.

thank for the doomsday warning formby, who should I say told me to call (IE your name dood)

tell them a friend was sent the wrong lines with his kit and you want to verify that you have the right ones.... dont give him my name... i never sent the other lines back because he would not fix the broken fitting.

but he did take his time and helped me to the fullest of his ability.

Sometimes it's no fun figuring stuff out

the guy who sold me the calipers forgot to include the assembly I would need to connect the lines too

yup it's the right lines

see the attached

fuck

Attachments

• back of claiper.JPG
    back of claiper.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 171
  • the stuff.jpg
    the stuff.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 203
I was just gonna say it looks like the seller cut the brake lines instead of unscrewing it, as that is a hard line, and there is no reason to replace it with a braided line...

Time to go line shopping...

you can go to most auto parts stores and get the hard lines with the fittings etc...
might need to cut and re-flare them to get the proper length etc but its easy enough

that would be my suggestion
just bring a brake line and a caliper with you to verify the right fitting sizes

between buybrakes.com and stop tech I learned some stuff

1. Those front lines are mis made, the second ends fittings shouldn't me opposite like they are

2. The stainless lines they make for their aftermarket calipers should be a perfect fit for my car and the R33 GTS calipers, without the steel lines

the guy at buybrakes.com has been super helpful, I'll keep you posted

UPDATE

The guys from buybrakes.com forwarded the pictures to stop-tech to confirm the lines were incorrectly assembled. Once they got the confirmation they arranged the return.

Now the correct lines are being shipped to me with a return postage included, they charged my card $7 for the difference in price between the kits. And it's taken care of

Larry & Dave at buybrakes.com really took care of this for me. All I had to do was say I was unhappy and they made it right, research and all. I can't say enough good shit about the experience

Next stop, Brembo Rotors and rebuilding the calipers :)

clears throat

stop-tech doesn't know anything about brake lines it seems.... they always send the wrong lines

Back