I could use some help!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cslang

I blew a head gasket on a '95 Civic DX. The car has 250k miles and I don't want to pay the $1,100 to get the thing fixed. I had someone offer me $300 for the car as is, but I think if I fix the gasket I could probably get $1,000?

The problem is, I have done some general repair work, but nothing this major. I don't really care if I total screw up the car, but I don't really know where to start.

I have a repair book, but I suspect they gloss over some basic issues that I must be aware of. What are the things I need to know that could really mess up the car? Also, how long should I expect this to take me?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

you could get a new engine in there for less than $1000. don't even try to repair a headgasket because honda engines are so cheap. anyways, get a new engine and you can probably get $2500 for the whole car. maybe even $3000.

Thanks Nick, I will think about changing the entire engine rather than just repair the head gasket.

I wonder, which task would be more difficult? My skills are intermediate at best. Part of the reason I wanted to tackle this tougher job was to learn more on a vehicle I wouldn't care about.

Thanks Nick, I will think about changing the entire engine rather than just repair the head gasket.

I wonder, which task would be more difficult? My skills are intermediate at best. Part of the reason I wanted to tackle this tougher job was to learn more on a vehicle I wouldn't care about.

you are better off learning how to do a swap than change a head gasket. head gasket repair is never 100% guaranteed to be like new. if it's really bad, after time to fix it, and milling the head and the cost of a new head gasket, you could almost pay for a used engine.

Back