I don't know why I just realized this....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hosmer

I made the millionth post
VIP
way to kill yourselves.

1987 car Lineup:

Camry
Celica ST/GT/GTS/AllTrac
Corolla GTS/SR5 coupe (AE86)
Corolla GTS FX-16/FX (hatch)
Corolla Sedan
Cressida
MR2
Supra Turbo/Non-turbo
Tercel

2006/7 car Lineup:

Yaris (looks like a 4 door corolla)
Avalon
Camry
Camry Solara
Corolla
Corolla S
Matrix
Prius

So, in the last 20 years they went from 5 totally different "sports" cars (out of 9 available models) to 0 out of 8

The Corolla S doesn't count, the kid who lives downstairs has one and its a POS...I'd sooner drive a Cavalier

Also, putting TRD stickers on every other truck that comes off the assembly line doesn't make up for shit

Cressidas were the shit. I used to have a '81 as a winter beater back in HS. It made the absolute worst winter vehicle ever but i loved every minute of it. The beast was RWD and had a 2.8L straight 6 and was worthless in the snow. I've always wondered what kinda power it had but I never saw any specs online.

You forgot all of the 12 SUV offerings vs the 1987 lineup of SUVs:

4Runner
Landcruiser
"Truck"

Quoted post[/post]]
Cressidas were the shit. I used to have a '81 as a winter beater back in HS. It made the absolute worst winter vehicle ever but i loved every minute of it. The beast was RWD and had a 2.8L straight 6 and was worthless in the snow. I've always wondered what kinda power it had but I never saw any specs online.

de-cammed Supra motor. 6ME in 1981. I had those wheels on my Celica GTA. You were prolly looking at about 130 hp. DOHC Carbbed - Shame for the Automatic though.

that early?....no shit

I'd like one of the old solid axle trucks with the stepside bed

totally pimp

Quoted post[/post]]
You forgot all of the 12 SUV offerings vs the 1987 lineup of SUVs:

4Runner
Landcruiser
"Truck"

Quoted post[/post]]

de-cammed Supra motor. 6ME in 1981. I had those wheels on my Celica GTA. You were prolly looking at about 130 hp. DOHC Carbbed - Shame for the Automatic though.

Hmmmm, i think you might be a little mixed up because I know it wasn't carburated. I read somwhere once it had 190hp but I cant find shit on it anymore.

So the Corolla XRS isn't considered a sport compact?

If want to laugh about something.... go look into how much the Yaris weighs and compare its "performance" times with the "sports" cars from that list.

then laugh.... cuz its awesome.

There was a guy in Millis that had an 80-81 Toyota w/a stepside bed...

I dunno, maybe he took it off another truck, but it looked pretty sweet....lifted, ect

Same nose as this:
wade-ob.jpg

OMGosh i LOOOOOVE those truck. my dad had 3 of them :)

they all died when the frame broke between the bed and cab.

Building up a proper offroader Toyota truck is not cheap. There is shit to be concerned about that no one would normally think about. New shackle designs, bump stops, birfields, hubs, rotated axle pumpkins, reverse U leaf springs, shock geometry, driveshaft angles and the difference between 45 and 46 " driveshafts (one falls out, the other doesn't) is a $800 difference. Then the power under the hood getting adjusted, tire sizes played with, gear ratios that need changes, speedo and gauge operation... It's crazy. I went through it - trust me.

You can get a $1000 Toyota truck and when it looks nice and lifted, with lots of clearance and enough reliability to actually hit the trails - you're $8000 into it.

square tubing "flexible" driveshafts....$50@ Home Depot - done

thats the only answer I have right now for your cons

and I stole it from extreme 4x4

Quoted post[/post]]
Building up a proper offroader Toyota truck is not cheap. There is shit to be concerned about that no one would normally think about. New shackle designs, bump stops, birfields, hubs, rotated axle pumpkins, reverse U leaf springs, shock geometry, driveshaft angles and the difference between 45 and 46 " driveshafts (one falls out, the other doesn't) is a $800 difference. Then the power under the hood getting adjusted, tire sizes played with, gear ratios that need changes, speedo and gauge operation... It's crazy. I went through it - trust me.

You can get a $1000 Toyota truck and when it looks nice and lifted, with lots of clearance and enough reliability to actually hit the trails - you're $8000 into it.
That sucks... you can buy a 70s jeep with an I6, lift it for less than 300 put some tires on it for a grand and be on the trails typically kicking a lot of peoples asses.

I would rather push a toyota truck than drive a Jeep. My dad is into his jeeps pretty heavily, and I've accepted the fact that they are as reliable as New England weather.

I'd drive an old CJ5 or CJ7 w/a 318 or 360 in it.....

the CJ5 has the same wheelbase as a CRX :)

Back