I don't think it's wheel balance

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

nplsdvr

98 Civic coupe, D16Y8, automatic

I have noticed a vibration that seems to be coming from the front/passenger side. My first thought was the wheel needed to be balanced. My wife drives this car more than I do, so when I finally spent some time driving it, I'm not convinced balance is the problem.

It is a constant vibration, no matter what the speed. Of course it is much more noticeable at higher speeds, but it's there at 35mph and it's there at 75 mph. The thing that really raises my suspicions is: it disappears when I let off the throttle. The vibration is only present when power is applied to the wheels, let up on the pedal - it goes away, give it gas - the vibration comes back. Whether it is on cruise control or me pressing the pedal: let off it goes away, give it gas it comes back.

Any ideas? Any suggestions? Anyone care for a mint?

Thanks!

Nic in Bham

Nope - no shaking in the steering. Purely in the front/passenger area.

Does it cruising, does it at acceleration. No specific rpms either. It's just there when the gas is on, gone when the gas is off.

Thanks for asking!

Maybe:

wheel bearing
axle balance weight <-- my bet
loose bolt in suspension <-- doubtful

Obviously something that's stressed under load only is the culprit.

The "stressed under load" I thought was the telltale symptom, but it also has me confused. Even if it was an axle balance weight, regardless of power, it's still spinning, wouldn't it still vibrate?

Thanks,

Nic in Bham

Just check it. There's a lot more stress on a rotating device that's under power than on one that's freewheeling.

My bet is along the lines of the axle as well, most likely the inboard CV, I would first take it to a tire shop and have them balance your wheels, it's cheap, we only charge 5 bucks a wheel, The tech should also let you know if its a problem with your wheel or tire also
if that doesn't solve your problem then I would start looking in the area of the axle like calesta said.
Another thing is it might even be as simple as a plastic bag or rope/twine or the like that got wrapped around the cv shaft
Telltale signs of a bad CV:
grease inside your wheel/wheelwell, or at the inner cv joint at the transmission (or halfshaft if its a b series)
Torn CV boots
Bent axles (hard to see)
missing axle counterweights
Clicking or clunking sound while accelerating and turing hard right or left (through a parking lot)
Axles aren't alot of money if you can put them in yourslef, you should pay less than 100 each for NEW aftermarket axles at places like Autopart international or advance auto chains.

if you have tried rotate/balance,bearing/brake inspection,axle,complete junk trannymount insp,there is a Technical Service Bulletin on all data i noticed while i was looking at them for my car that say the whole spindle/wheelbearing pretty much whole knuckle/hub have to be balanced together as a whole unit on the car at the dealership.if you go to a local shop that has all data software you can see.i reccomend the dealership anyway though its best.not terribly expensive either.

Back