i dunno what to get?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tweakman

I want an import all my friends have one and i want a v-tec. i love the sound of around 5000 rpms that v-tec kicks in. but anyways i wanted to kno how a v-tec works. (in stupid people terms) also if someone could help me? i want an import and i dont know what to get i could get a cheap LS and get a type r head but that would cost a lot. Any ideas...

P.S. are civic ex's v-tecs?

well, here we go

Vtec is basically the engine switching to another lobe made to handle the high RPM's thats y the change in sound, its switching from the low RPM lobe to the high RPM lobe. umm, 90% of the vtec's u see around canada and US are SOHC Vtec's with wont really be that amazing Vtec push u will expect. they are made more for being fuel effiencient than raw power, not to say u cant notice it cause u can, just a DOHC vtec is alot more aggresive. umm, i do not know if the EX is vtec, check out reference section to check, but it will NOT be fast out of the box. a SOHC vtec civic Si coupe, will run arond 16.00 stock, which is very slow in racing terms. most of the people u hear about that have amazing vtec kicks, either use a b16 or b18c1, they are DOHC and produce amazing power ( 100hp/L)

B16 = 160hp
b18c1 = 180 hp
d16z6(sohc vtec)=125hp

the problem with DOHC vtec's is the only cars they come in are,

Integra GSR = B18c1
Integra Type R= b18c5
and Civic Si(USA) Civic SiR(CAnada) = b16

all of these cars are coupes therefore are heavier than a hatchback, so what we do here is swap these fast engines meant for heavier cars, into smaller lighter cars to get real fast little hondas. engine choice depends on budget as well as what u want to do with the car. so if u wanna know the right engine to pick make another thread to do with that.

since when does a b18c1 have 180 hp?

price range you want to stay in would help in this decision.

don't get a car just because it has mad Vt3C y0!. VTEC is simply a technology of a motor.

VTEC motors by default aren't necessarily fast.
I can name several motors that are way better than a VTEC motor.

How much money do you have to spend on the car TOTAL upfront?

civics with the b16a2 are only in the 99-00 si but are rare, get stolen all the time, are heavy, and are realtivly expensive, and still aren't all that fast
del sol with the b16a3 are in the 94-97 but are rare get stolen all the time, are heavy, and are realtivly expensive, and still aren't all that fast
Integras with the b18c1 are in the 94-01, are expensive, get stolen all the time, are decently quick, and are pretty expensive unless its got 150k miles on it.
preludes with the h22a are rare, expensive, and parts for them are generally more expensive than b-series counterparts.

SOHC vtec's aren't worth keeping if you ask me. you need the DOHC to be even remotely quick (i'm wating for the bashing on this one)

if you have 5 grand lets say, there are tons more options. 5 grand will be hard pressed to get any of the cars above.... maybe a couple options, most probably not local to you though depending where you are.

moral of this post: don't get vtec just because it's vtec and makes a cool poping noise when the lobes switch. get it because it's what you want out of the car.

i want my friend gsr its basically all stock with the b18c1 in it he has a filter connected to the throttle body and a glasspack i was wanting that but it comes stock with a dohc v-tec and the insurance will b outragous

Fuck the Vtec YoOOo.... its not a magical turbo or something in that general vicinity.

D series ownz B's garage...

vtec does not equal fast... it only equals faster than non-vtec honda engines

what do you want to do with the car? are you sure you want front wheel drive or would you rather have something with rear or all wheel drive? do you just want a car that you can rice out, or are you looking to auto-x or something like that?

all ex civics are Vtec, 6th gen HX civics are vtec-e

Originally posted by seanjuan@Sep 11 2003, 09:46 AM
all ex civics are Vtec

only in coupe form.

i agree with some of the other people that already posted their ideas. don't get a car just because it has vtec.
with $4K you can probably get yourself a 90-93 Integra LS, maybe have a little money left over to slap a intake or an exhaust on it and you'll be happy with it.
And if you really want vtec then you can save up a little more money and just pop a vtec head on it and you're set. taadaa...ls/vtec.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Sep 11 2003, 03:01 AM

SOHC vtec's aren't worth keeping if you ask me. you need the DOHC to be even remotely quick

boost your sohc, and if you properly take care of the engine, you can see reliable 13's on a daily basis, and the boosted motor will long outlast your interest in "import performance"

(i'm wating for the bashing on this one)

as you wish,
:bash: :beat: :nutkick: :poke: :chair:

Originally posted by rsaeini+Sep 11 2003, 02:17 PM-->
@Sep 11 2003, 09:46 AM
all ex civics are Vtec

only in coupe form.

i agree with some of the other people that already posted their ideas. don't get a car just because it has vtec.
with $4K you can probably get yourself a 90-93 Integra LS, maybe have a little money left over to slap a intake or an exhaust on it and you'll be happy with it.
And if you really want vtec then you can save up a little more money and just pop a vtec head on it and you're set. taadaa...ls/vtec.

u serious Ray?

only the coupe civic EX's got vtec?

never knew that....

wait, so my chicks 99 ex 4door sedan does NOT have vtec?

i was told that only the 4door ex sedans come equipped with ABS brakes.....

any truth to that?

for a girl who supposedly knows jack shit about cars, she just 0wned me the other day with that little tidbit of information...

best advice to the starter of this thread is if you want a fast car right out of the box with no time, no money, no aggravation, no bullshit...

buy a firebird, or mustang or some other domestic car for the price that you would pay for a used honda.

Originally posted by Tonyd0821+Sep 11 2003, 02:30 PM-->
Originally posted by rsaeini@Sep 11 2003, 02:17 PM
seanjuan
all ex civics are Vtec

only in coupe form.

u serious Ray?

never knew that....

any truth to that?

for a girl who supposedly knows jack shit about cars, she just 0wned me the other day with that little tidbit of information...

Damn, go read the spec sheets already guys!

All EXs from 92+ had the top engine, the VTEC version of the SOHC D16
http://www.automotive.com/honda/honda_cars...ivic_sedans.htm
http://www.edmunds.com/used/2000/honda/civ...denav..6.Honda*

6G EX sedan had ABS standard
http://www.edmunds.com/used/2000/honda/civ...denav..8.Honda*

<_< <_< <_< <_< <_<

all ex civics are Vtec
only in coupe form.
Damn, go read the spec sheets already guys!

All EXs from 92+ had the top engine, the VTEC version of the SOHC D16
http://www.automotive.com/honda/honda_cars...ivic_sedans.htm
http://www.edmunds.com/used/2000/honda/civ...denav..6.Honda*

6G EX sedan had ABS standard
http://www.edmunds.com/used/2000/honda/civ...denav..8.Honda*

<_< <_< <_< <_< <_<
I suppose I should have specified that I meant 5th gen and up when I said all EX's had vtec

ABS was an option on 5th gen EX and LX, and I believe it was an option on those cars for 6th gen as well

Originally posted by Tonyd0821+Sep 11 2003, 02:30 PM-->
Originally posted by rsaeini@Sep 11 2003, 02:17 PM
seanjuan
all ex civics are Vtec

only in coupe form.

u serious Ray?

never knew that....

any truth to that?

my EX coupe has vtec and abs.

Back