I finally found my perfect winter beater car....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

94RedSiGal

After interviewing many interesting cars from the '80's for this position ('84 CRX, '89 Peugeot Mi16, '86 Saab 900 and a '81 Datsun 280ZX), the winner is:

gsr1.jpg

The mileage is a high 195K, however that is still 75K less than what I have on my Si. Need to do the timing belt/water pump right away, then a tuneup and the suspension needs upgrading. The body is overall very clean on the car and the paint is still shiny (unlike the Si's finish). There is a little rust along the edge of the roof, but it's still manageable. Importantly, the price was right on this car... $2500. And later on, my two cars could merge as one (yay OBD1 harnesses!). ;)

I never thought that I would ever own a sedan... can the world be about to end? lol. But the car is quick and very refined. I suspect that I will always be a happy Honda/Acura owner. These cars are just the best and fit me so well. A Valentine1 radar is now on my want list, and a good car stereo system. Surprisingly, after an afternoon in the teg, my Si still feels good and not slow at all.

Not to bad, the price was right an it is kinda hot. I would drive it :thumbsup: :burnout:

Originally posted by Seany-izzle@Nov 17 2003, 12:21 PM
so whats going to happen to the integra when you swap out the motor? oh and good find!

Thanks all! I guess I could part it out afterwards. But it'll be a long while before the swap, if at all. I kind of like my Si the way it it. The engine is sound and I can use cheap gas with it.

I'm still struggling with the 'sedan' aspect. Is this the Martine we know? :lol:

how in the hell did you pick up a gsr for only 2500.00????????????

nice find !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wish gsr's sold for that little out here in cali

Originally posted by Tonyd0821@Nov 17 2003, 01:57 PM
how in the hell did you pick up a gsr for only 2500.00????????????

nice find !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wish gsr's sold for that little out here in cali

It's a high mileage car so I think that scared off others from answering the ad as quickly as I did. And it's a sedan not the coupe. Although it drives beautifully, it is overdue for its maintenances and the suspension is shot. Then there is the rust on the roof.

Chip: The Peugeot and the Saab were both sedans. It was more that owning a GS-R won out over it being an icky sedan. Most of the parts can swap into my Si and it's very compact for a sedan. I could build this up and let my dad have it eventually. It's so much more car than his V6 Camry.

Also, most of the cars I was looking at were considerable cheaper in price. This GS-R was in a whole other price range. This was the only other tempting car, but my mechanical comfort level is with Hondas and Acuras:

1982 BMW 320i FOR SALE:
***EXCELLENT CONDITION*** CALIFORNIA CAR- NO RUST!!!!
RUNS FAST & EXCELLENT
• Recently tuned at Albright’s Mighty Motors (Cambridge)
• Exterior: Black
• Interior: Black leather
• 5-speed, manual transmission; 180K mi; engine rebuilt < 10K ago at Berkeley Motor Works (CA); transported to MA on trailer.
• Engine bored & ported for racing- owned & raced by BMW mechanic
• TIGHT Sports suspension- Bilstein shocks, rack & pionion steering, BMW premium rims, Bridgestone Potenza tires
• New starter, alternator (& battery), clutch replaced within last 18 months.
• Blaupunkt in-dash CD w/ Infinity speakers
• …and much more…. This is truly a driving enthusiast’s car!

PRICE: $2700

I need a beater too...

That GSR would have been perfect, but I dont want to spend that much...

:(

edit: good find.

Originally posted by 94RedSiGal@Nov 17 2003, 11:54 AM
A Valentine1 radar is now on my want list

Best $411 you'll ever spend!

Good find on the car.

Originally posted by sisteve@Nov 17 2003, 03:46 PM
I need a beater too...

That GSR would have been perfect, but I dont want to spend that much...

:(

edit: good find.

If I find any other good cars, I'll let you know. What's your budget? There was a Civic DX 5-speed sedan listed the other day for $1850 in my area. Or what about an '85 Audi 5-speed sedan... AWD! for $1000. And there have been a number of Saab 900 sedans for around $900 and some were from the early '90's. Can you tell that I love to shop? :D

Edit to add some more cars.

Thanks Mike! Btw everyone, I am not actually going to "beat" on this car. I have never abused any of my cars. If the road conditions are that bad out, I will just stay home.

:thumbsup: Very nice find. I would love a find like that in my area, except for insurance feasibility wise.

For some reason, I really like that color..

Well I was looking at cars that were $600-1500. But for a little bit more, this seemed a wiser purchase. I had to sell something out of my antique collection to pay for this. :(

nice ride. its funny that all of the cars you passed up, dont have engines that will bolt right into the civic.....hmmm ::scratched head::

-Chris

Back