I Got A 89 Hatch Dx! Help Me To Add Just .5 Secs!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MrHaTcH89

How's it goin guys, my name may not be familiar because im pretty new to this forum. My friend has an LS integra that BARELY pulls on me.. about 1 and a half car lengths in about a quarter mile run. i NEED to beat him!! I have cold air intake, and my exhaust taken off. Please tell me what to do! I need such a little boost i was hoping it could be a little bolt on or little switch to hit to make this happen. My last encoutered mission, put a blow dryer where my intake is, didn't work :( hahah neways im sure one of you smart guys could help me. i tried taking out my TCS sensor or something like that, all i got was an engine lite =/ I also got a carbon fiber hood and buddy club body kit. ill post pics as soon as i get my digital camera back. well thanks guyz.

MPFI swap, put a 89-91 civic si Intake manifold (complete with throtle body and sensors), ECU, injector resistor box, and you should work your buddy, my whole MPFI swap cost me under way under 200 bucks...
i paid 125 for the MPFI swap including an SI cam which i have yet to install, then i paid 20 for an injector resistor box, and then misc. honda parts (hoses and what not).

Originally posted by kylemarhx@May 1 2003, 02:01 AM
take off your body kit :p .

:werd:

also, remove your spare tire, jack, jack tools and any excess stuff you have in the car

advance your timing 2 degrees.

run the highest octane you can find. maybe try some octane boost. timing and octane go hand-in-hand.

.5 seconds is alot of tuning if your car is at maximum potential and tuned correctly, but if ur runnin slower times, it could just be bad driving, practice makes perfect! and yea like they said, wieght reduction, tire grip, high octane fuels, dont go crazy and add 239592 bottles of octane booster lol, no need to burn your sensors. startin a diet and losin wieght yourself, unless ur already there on that note, hrmm, runnin with minimal power use, no amps no external things that can drain power, turn ur cd player off, runnin in a dryer cooler climate, uhh i cant think of anything else, hope i helped

Originally posted by MaaseyRacer@May 1 2003, 02:04 AM
MPFI swap, put a 89-91 civic si Intake manifold (complete with throtle body and sensors), ECU, injector resistor box, and you should work your buddy, my whole MPFI swap cost me under way under 200 bucks...
i paid 125 for the MPFI swap including an SI cam which i have yet to install, then i paid 20 for an injector resistor box, and then misc. honda parts (hoses and what not).

what he said was a good idea. But i would do the fuel injection with a 92-95 SOHC v tec head. this way you could have that switch and it would transfer to the big nasty cam. well atleast big on a SOHC motor. I would just scrap the 1.5 motor personally and do a B16a. :worthy:

that mpfi swap sounds good, so does the b16, but im waiting a little until i get that. you guys think if i do it myself, it would be hard? ive worked all in the motor before but i haven't actually taken the whole thing out.
.5 seconds is alot of tuning if your car is at maximum potential and tuned correctly
when you say that, what do you mean tuned correctly? just the timing? and speaking of timing, what exactly should i set my timing at. i think i already advanced it. all i want is for my car to actually pull when i gun it. even 1st gear doesn't take off that hard compared to everyone else's car.
learn how to drive.
i know how to drive, and very well actually. i take most people off the line but theres a limit to where your car wont let you go anymore. i take it to the max everytime but he always seems to pull on me through second gear. i realize how much traction matters.. when he had stocks on the front of his car, i actually beat him, then he put his rims back on that shit and he pulls more off the line again. i just wanna beat his ass and rub it in his face. my d15 already keeps him nervous because we come so close and he thinks a b18 [.3 liters more] should be way faster, but with the weight of his car against mine, i can smoke him =) thanks for da help and if there are ne more ideas hit me back up. Nahmat585@sbcglobal.net

Ill prob stick with that MPFI swap...

exactly what do i need for an mpfi swap and where could i get it? is it easy? is there any wiring involved? explain!!! thanks :D

octane booster, fuel injecter cleaner is probably all that you will need to do engine wise if your that close....weight reduction will make more of a difference then you may think....I think you said you had a hatchback, i removed my rear seat and all the plastic interior, rear seat belts, rear window trim spair tire/jacks etc....the back of my car actually sits higher now and im planning on getting adjustables so i can tune it lower so it looks right again, people ask me why i did it when i only have a non-vtec motor (for now) d series motor I beat an 03 civc ex a few weeks ago, good driving and shifting helped a lot, oh yeah thats another thing short shift your car, (ill show you my short shift when i can take a pic of it, the knob only sits about 2 inches from the car floor) all you have to do is hacksaw your shifter down a few inches and place a cheap universal shift knob on there untill you can affort the $20 bucks to buy the actual short shift but it makes a difference also you can remove the passenger seat when you go to race too, those seats weigh more then you think, for every 100lbs you remove your .1sec faster im pretty sure, also if you can find 2 spare donuts and put them on your back wheels for less road coverage (if your that serious)....well this may have helped some

Originally posted by MrHaTcH89@May 1 2003, 09:57 AM
exactly what do i need for an mpfi swap and where could i get it? is it easy? is there any wiring involved? explain!!! thanks :D

other options are add a CRX SI cam, a SOHC VTEC Intake Manifld while you do the MPFI swap, also add an Integra Throttle Body while you are at it.

here are some MPFI instructions.

http://www.angelfire.com/d20/hcivic88/dx-siwiring.html

and I have one on my site.

for every 100lbs you remove your .1sec faster
kick out the 500 lb girlfriend. :D just jokin man.

actcually if you must know! i removed the rear seat just for her, she needed more room and the front seat just wasn't enough :lol: sike, it is 100lbs for .1 sec though right?

I went to that (MPFI) wiring site, the instructions are pretty clear and easy to follow, what exacly are you getting from doing this modification, i can see a little more performace because your using Si parts, wich out perform dx ones but how much of a gain are you getting, I figure that the intake manifold is slightly larger so your getting slightly more air (always good) and i asume that the fuel rail is probably slightly larger then a dx one too....if its worth the modification im interested in doing it along with my mini me project coming up....id like to get the d16z or y head(which ever one i can find) ported and polished before i place it on but who knows, might just wait to get both the head and intake manifold ported at the same time (or the Si intake manifold if i go with this mpfi option also)

Originally posted by 93dxKID@May 1 2003, 07:11 PM
I went to that (MPFI) wiring site, the instructions are pretty clear and easy to follow, what exacly are you getting from doing this modification, i can see a little more performace because your using Si parts, wich out perform dx ones but how much of a gain are you getting, I figure that the intake manifold is slightly larger so your getting slightly more air (always good) and i asume that the fuel rail is probably slightly larger then a dx one too....if its worth the modification im interested in doing it along with my mini me project coming up....id like to get the d16z or y head(which ever one i can find) ported and polished before i place it on but who knows, might just wait to get both the head and intake manifold ported at the same time (or the Si intake manifold if i go with this mpfi option also)

I have an MPFI swap and my buddy has an MPFI swap in our 4th DX's (his is a 90 crx and mine is an 89civc hatch)
the difference between our MPFI swaps is that he uses the SI cam, we took his car to the dyno a few weeks ago, and he put down 110hp to the wheels, and 100lbs. of torque. He is running a Skunk2 cam gear, PM6 Mugen program, AEM CAI, DC Header, and DC exaust, I will try and scan the dyno run, but his crx hauls for a 1.5l non-vtec sohc motor... I will be putting in my SI cam in June when school gets out...

this image helped me out a lot once i got into the car and was adding wires, the swap did not take that long, the hard part was figuring what needed to be replace and what not, and then waiting on parts from honda.
anyway here is the pic:
dx-to-sib.gif

damn man you guys are BoMb!! i've never got this much help from anyone, and this fast too! i just wanted to thank u all and that mpfi swap is gonna hit. even tho no 1 told me where to get the shit, with all the other info, its seems pretty easy. what part exactly is the "mpfi" on my car that is.. and 1 more BIG THING... I found a guy tryin to sell his D16 from an integra like 88 or sumshit to me for like 3 bills. u think it would be worth it to get it and build it up [no turbo] and will it fit rite in?? the main thing i wanna do is just hit HIGH 15s, prob not wid dat motor huh, cuz his car is pretty fast, plus that shit built, and dropped into a lighter car i would think would hit 15s. just gimme a straight answer if thats da stupidest thing uve ever heard =) thx again :D

im planing on a MPFI mini me hatchback...that is when i get the money and all saved up and run a dyno first so after all my modifications i can compare dynos, going to port the intake manifold so it will line up with an integra throttle body, i also plan to add (eventually) crower cam, and rods, adj cam gear, p/p head - new springs, retainers, etc, new fuel pump/rail and regulator (maybe) not sure if im going to buy headers - have to wait untill i decide to supercharge or turbo, if i go turbo i don't want to waste money on headers and have to take them off, right now im just running CF intake, 3in mandrel bent exhaust w/ CF muffler, right now im just working on side skirts and rear bumper

300 is a rip off. I know the distributors are different, and I am not sure if the intake manifold will fit. Just get one from a crxsi. DO not spend more than 200 for an mpfi swap.

Back