I got a new job

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cough*Construction Management*cough :ph34r:
According to my father, a man whose job revolves around the guys with this degree usually start at 60k a year out of college, but they usually work internships for the last 2 years of their program.

I make minimum in WA, sucks ass, living expenses here are hella, but its supposed to go up to like 7.35 at the end of the year, it's going to be nice. :D

west virginia sucks for min wage. 5.15. bah. and i work my ass off when its busy, it fucking sucks. i cant wait to quit and start at a dealership or something.

Originally posted by Slammed89Integra@Nov 28 2004, 08:27 PM
cough*Construction Management*cough :ph34r:
According to my father, a man whose job revolves around the guys with this degree usually start at 60k a year out of college, but they usually work internships for the last 2 years of their program.

I make minimum in WA, sucks ass, living expenses here are hella, but its supposed to go up to like 7.35 at the end of the year, it's going to be nice. :D
[post=423414]Quoted post[/post]​

Please @ that.

Try getting $5.15minimum wage or even if you make $7.50+ in the state with the highest living expense, New Jersey. Just isn't happening. No one could ever make a living on that. I didnt realize that other states had so much higher minimum wages

Originally posted by jeffie7@Nov 28 2004, 12:10 AM
It happens all the time and I laugh at everyone who says well if I go to college I'm going to make 60+ k to start with and 2-3 years later crack into the 100+K a year mark

on the 20th, 2 days after i get my degree i start my new job at 83k a year. so it does happen :) but it is true, experience and skill does help, i had 5 years working experience in software development to help me get to that number.

but, congrats on the new job. i dont think i'd be able to keep a girlfriend while working at that place... what if someone needs advice on what panties look best on them? they need to try them on for you to know for sure :)

you also do java- which is in stupid high demand, and average POSTINGS on monster, etc are 75-100k DOE with next to no schooling requirements.

you're a bad example :)

but i envy your salary to the point where i might just pick up a book.... and turn hondaswap into jsp instead of php. lol

Im glad i dont live in kansas(2.65/hr) I get 10/hr, and I just graduated HS in June. I also went to a technical high school school, where I went for Marine mechanix, and thats what my job is. the marina I work at is closed for 2 months in the winter(january, febuary) and I get paid for them also, (even though I dont work)

Minimum wage here in OR is 7.05/hr, going up to 7.20/hr in January. Currently, OR has the highest unemployment rate in the country. The county I live in (Coos) has the highest unemployment rate in the state. I'm lucky to have a job, much less making 9/hr. Even if I am underpaid.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Nov 28 2004, 08:27 PM
you also do java- which is in stupid high demand, and average POSTINGS on monster, etc are 75-100k DOE with next to no schooling requirements.

you're a bad example :)

but i envy your salary to the point where i might just pick up a book.... and turn hondaswap into jsp instead of php. lol
[post=423462]Quoted post[/post]​

actually, this new job is not java related, i wish it was. its a QA team lead position.

you should do the site in .jsp, i could help you :)

Originally posted by vtecsir1@Nov 28 2004, 03:33 PM
oh and to the guy up top thats going to make 65 k when he graduates, what will you be doing because i dont know anyone that made that right out of college, my college promised me the same thing about placing me making 40-50k and you see what im making up top.
[post=423274]Quoted post[/post]​

well i'm an International Business major at Johnson and Wales University. I will go on 3 study abroad programs: this spring to Stockholm Sweden, next spring to Seville Spain, and that following summer either to Korea or Russia. They have this program that is designed to get you a job AS SOON AS you graduate in the field of your major. For our campus in Denver, that employment rate is 100% for the last 3 years. Most likely, I will get to work either in a different country, or out of my home after my MBA. I plan to go into consulting for international companies. Eventually I will be the owner of my own business. For me, its not about believing that college is a bunch of bullshit. It's about dreams. I believe I can do anything I set my mind to, and to me it's all about education, knowing the right people (networking)(i'm already involved in 2 networking groups nation wide) and dreaming. You all can tell me that I might end up at McDonalds, but hey fuck you :) , because I will end up at the top of my game with a wonderful family. Sure I want to be very successful, but that's not the most important thing, it's to be happy, surrounded by people who love me and support me like a wife who loves me and my children. :D :D :D :D

J&WU is one of most expensive universities. i don't get any free money since my parents made too much last year (even tho they retired now), so i could never go there. sounded like it was a cool school, but it's not realistic for the average person. that's why i'm in a state college.

State colleges are good too. UT Austin is top 10 in the nation for Engineering, and it's not that expensive either. Almost all engineering graduates from UT Austin have jobs waiting for them as soon as they graduate.

Originally posted by revolution8k@Nov 28 2004, 02:13 AM
I loaded the UPS truck at work last tuesday for like an hour and i couldn't lift anything else after that. I can't imagine doing that daily.

I worked at UPS for a while for only $8.50/hr, but I was was lucky enough to not be in the loading/unloading departments. The few times I had to fill in for people in those departments were absolute hell. While I worked there I gained (and subsequently lost) 20 pounds of muscle though. :)

Working at MCI for the last 16 months at the reception desk making $14/hr as a temp. I make all my posts from here. :D Should be getting hired on around the first of the year with (hopefully) a raise.

Originally posted by Prowler@Nov 29 2004, 04:32 PM
J&WU is one of most expensive universities. i don't get any free money since my parents made too much last year (even tho they retired now), so i could never go there. sounded like it was a cool school, but it's not realistic for the average person. that's why i'm in a state college.
[post=423698]Quoted post[/post]​

Well my EFC for the FAFSA form was 0. I made as much as my mom last year, and my dad didn't make anything because he's in the process of getting his own business off the ground. I was supposed to get a full ride scholarship from the Daniels' Fund College Prep Program, but for whatever reason, I didn't get it. I got a pretty good financial aid package, but I had to take out more loan money than I wanted to. But in my opinion it will be worth it. Well for almost 30K a year, it better be worth it... :blink:

Back