I got lucky tonight!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MikeBergy

Blah blah blah....
So I am on my way home from work tonight. I have been on a quest to get the slight knock out of my top end, and so brought the tablet with me to tune on the way home, and I decided to go the backway by vandenberg to keep traffic to a minimum, as I would be going from 35-90 mph in cycles, attemping to smooth out my fuel maps, and to eliminate the rattle can sound of running too lean/advanced at the top. So, all is going well; no cars, no nada. It's a quiet night. I'm feeling good, getting the power delivery nice and linear. The car ABSOLUTELY RIPS, btw, it's much faster now after tuning than it was even just a couple of weeks ago. Keeping in mind that this is on stock intake manifold and exhaust, I guess those aren't the big culprits of power loss in this particular engine, since they seem to be doing well for now. Aftermarket can only help when the money starts flowing. Anyway. upon passing vandenberg, I pull over into a little washout or whatever it is just past the base, to adjust my maps. I don't want to do alot of adjusting while driving unless I see a major problem area. I'm in the middle of adjusting the fuel map, when I notice the inside of the car is brighter. I looked behind me, and there was a base police car behind me. I wasn't afraid that he had caught me speeding, because I am especially careful around the base, as the base police are everywhere at all times. I have 2003 tags on my car due to the fact my car has not successfully passed the idle smog test yet, and so I am not able to get current tags. I have been really careful about not speeding or looking out of place with everything else, but I was just not thinking at this particular moment. Doh! Anyway, the officer was in his car for a while, and I was just waiting for him to walk up and ask me about my registration. Gulping hard as he finally walked up, I rolled my windows down, awaiting the inescapable ticket and fine that would be coming to me. The officer then proceeded to ask me if everything was alright, and see what I was doing stopped there. I told him that I was tuning my fuel and ignition maps for my car's ecu, and he replied with 'you have your ecu chipped or something?', as he eyed the tablet pc on my lap and widband in the passenger seat. Yeah, something like that. I said yeah, and then he told me that he was just making sure I wasn't dropping someone off there so they could just run on to the base. I wasn't even thinking about that, but it made complete sense. I then told me to be careful with my speed on Highway 1, because the CHP is always out and about. We both said good night, and I went on my merry way, my heart still racing. He didn't even mention anything about the registration. I can see the 5 mile wide smile on God's face as he was laughing at the situation, I am sure I am entertainment for heavenly beings that are watching. I was fortunate tonight, and am stoked that the cop that stopped me was a fellow tuner/car enthusiast of sorts.

:cliffs: I go tuning after work tonight. I pull off to edit fuel maps. Cop pulls in behind me. I don't have current registration. Cop turns out to be a car guy. I don't get a ticket.

Back