I gots a question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jamesA

Thank you for your business.
VIP
Which way should my sub be pointing? towards the rear? up? or towards the seats (to the front) for the best sound?

It's pretty beefy sounding right now and it's pointing to the rear of the car. but I just wanna know how everyone else is setup.

every car is different, you just have to play with it to find the sound you desire. You will be able to notice a difference between location/orintation. my only suggestion, is to try and have it as far away from you as your setup will allow(ie. if it ends up being in a corner of the trunk, try putting it on the opposite side of the car as you.

matt

That's interesting, I noticed the opposite. I keep it on my side.

The Infinity basslink has a phase switch, And apparently when you hit it, it will compensate for being rear firing or forward firing. I guess that your distance to the surfaces (and thus your ears) are set in a phase.

-> Steve

I have my subs pointing towards the rear of my hatch, but for your SI I would recommend pointing towards the front, it would probably make the bass a little more clear sounding. I could be wrong though, I would have to agree and just fool around and see what you like best.

Ideal setup- fire it into one of the rear corners with the driver about 6 inches to a foot in front of the rear "wall". You'll reflect the sound waves back to the front, and you'll get maximum vibration through the car to amplify everything as well. If you just fire the woofer towards the front, you won't get nearly as much slam.

Look at all the builds in car audio magazines. Usually a custom enclosure will aim the sub at a central location toward the rear of the car. I think it is so that the sound waves have the chance to be spread out more evenly inside the car. Its the same reason they make those kick panels for high end audio components. It's also why the home audio company I worked for stuck the subwoofer of a surround system in a spot that would spread the sound out evenly to the area where people might be sitting, watchin a dvd or whatnot.

usually best in a corner or where the sub will best reflect the sound, just like in your house. With some cars the hatchbacks glass will help do the same thing. In your car you might not notice a drastic difference or any at all, best way to do it is just move it around if thats possible, and see where you like it best.

um well, unless you've been declared legally dead and haven't been paying attention all over the place on here... I drive a 2000 Si...

in my civic hatchy back in the day...

my 2 rockford punch HE subs in a 10' matched box with a 20' angle pointed to the rear ~1 foot from the hatch was the best sound.

in the mirage, the same box with pentagon xplods is tons clearer (i prefer clarity over bump) pointing forward. the xplods outpound the HE's but have a bit less range.

it all depends on what you like. like said about try it how you like it.

if you have a nice stereo, you can do imaging and phasing. my alpine does all that shit. you can do some "calculations" step by step to set the imaging for all four standard speakers, and reverse the sub... turn down the power output to it and adjust the bass for the sub and standards respectively. i also love the motorized 3-angle tilt face, green/amber buttons and nice easily readable line of text.

I decided to try it pointing towards the back seat and it seems to just be soaked up by the seat... I really need to turn the gains up, but on some of my CDs it's really light bump, sometimes it's overwhelming.

The funny thing is I can hear the bass a lot better standing in front of my car than I can sitting in the driver seat. (the mids and highs are really good sounding)

Back