I hate brakes, I love brakes

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xj0hnx

I wanna be sedated
VIP
Ok, so today me and my buddy David decided to have a go at the conversion that has been sitting down stairs for a while, here's the story.

We started at 10:30, got the car on the lift and assessed the situation. Situation good, all parts need were there and everything was going to be plug and play.

First hurdle you come to is the Torx nuts that keep the spindle from spinning around and around, there are four, and they are bastards. They strip very easily, and are located inside the trailing arms. So we attacked...

Torx key...
s3fc8f034b71e4.jpg

and where they are located...
s3fc8f0261d4de.jpg

Now, a bit of knowledge to pass on. When you are doing a rear disc conversion, you do NOT have to have the full trailing arm, but if you do you get to avoid the hell of these bolts, so it's your choice, but if you do swap trailing arms you have to man up for a realignment...on to the story...

So we stripped three of these bastards, and had to remove them via force, my favorite part...

David readies the torch...
s3fc8f0442bf3e.jpg

So, with the stripped bolts you can approach them a couple ways, one is to...
Drill....
s3fc8efd209c55.jpg

But we wound up with the tried and true....burn the fuckers alive method...
s3fc8efa3e57f1.jpg

Once you have heated them up enough, use a chisel and hammer to pound them in a downward motion till they break and eventually unscrew, or, chisel a slot into them, let them cool and use a large flathead and unscrew them, we used both depending on which one it was and where it was located if we had enough access to it.

Ahhhh....sweet victory...
s3fc8f00411182.jpg

Now just reverse the process of removal, minus the torch and drill...
s3fc8f01311184.jpg

Damn, that's a lot of work you say for just the same rear disc, well no they are about an inch bigger...
s3fc8efe35a564.jpg

And are matched to the front, which are going on sometime this week.

So once you are done, not that we are, but you know what I mean, you're going to need some wheels that are going to fit the new lug pattern. This is where everyone gets to laugh, I had to use some Saab rims, as they were the only ones in the junkyard that had tires, and would fit the lugs and hub bolt ring, so laugh it up...
s3fc8f0766b6d3.jpg

Planning, planning, planning, I can not emphasize this enough. I am lucky and have a full shop with lifts and tools at my disposal, but you need all the little things that are going to possibly give you troubles, like having extra torx bolts, correct brake cables, and lines, pads, rotors, etc..

Well I hope you enjoyed my day, and maybe someone can find some use in the half hour I spent writing it up, cheers bitches.

cool shit.... what brakes did you end up using????

looks like you had some fun :)

They are from the europeon civic five door, basically a sedan with hatchback instead of a trunk,same as the aerodeck, but it's a wagon. Both have a trim with the B18C4, so they get some nice big brakes :)

sweet

grab the engine while your at it :)

FYI- you don't need the trailign arms cuz you already HAD discs. those with drums have different' trailing arms

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Nov 29 2003, 11:50 PM-->
FYI- you don't need the trailign arms cuz you already HAD discs. those with drums have different' trailing arms
Nope, they're the same, it's just easier to swap the whole thing.

E_SolSi Posted on Nov 29 2003
@ 09:54 PM
sweet

grab the engine while your at it

I wish, these were given to me by a friend that was cleaning out his garage for storage space, unfortunately the motor, and all the other good stuff I could use was given to Honda (he used to work there) for a customers car.

Originally posted by 92b16vx+Nov 29 2003, 06:17 PM-->
pissedoffsol
@Nov 29 2003, 11:50 PM
FYI- you don't need the trailign arms cuz you already HAD discs.  those with drums have different' trailing arms

Yup, i had to go through the same thing on the right side on my car. The trailing arm i swapped in was bent. No one i contacted knew if the trailing arms were the same, so i had to find out for myself. I posted that up somewhere :huh: .

btw: if you heat up the torx bolts BEFORE you hit them with the impact gun, they come out just fine, without breaking :lol:

Originally posted by Calesta+Dec 1 2003, 09:32 PM-->
Originally posted by 92b16vx@Nov 29 2003, 06:17 PM
pissedoffsol
@Nov 29 2003, 11:50 PM
FYI- you don't need the trailign arms cuz you already HAD discs.  those with drums have different' trailing arms

Yup, same thing- most people just replace the whole arm and not the hub assembly.

Ya, I wish I had the other trailing arm, but it was destroyed in the wreck :( After all was said and done, I would have MUCH rather done another alignment than the hell of try to remove the stripped torx nuts.

Back